Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New 777 owner, couple ??'s (Read 7327 times)
David Paul

New 777 owner, couple ??'s
Jan 11th, 2014 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Hi guys.  I bought the T7 back when they had the 9.99 sale, and I am just now getting around to messing around with it.

Forgive me if these questions have been covered.  I have searched and read most of this forum and read the manuals, but I'm having some problems figuring out a couple of things

I have used Jon M.'s awesome tutorial and have everything programmed and running properly, I think. 

What exactly do I do to initiate the takeoff roll?   I simply engaged the autothrottle button (they were armed already) on my first flight, but it seemed a little weak.  Do I need to do something with the TOGA buttons on the throttles first? 

Also, although I have VNAV configured for the entire flight,  I am flying with default ATC  in FSX, so I break off the flightplan about 60-70 miles out as instructed, and I take over vertical navigation and speed myself and use heading mode to follow ATC vectors for the ILS    I can't figure out how to set up for an ILS landing.  How do I set the NAV radio for the proper frequency?   I thought I had done so in the CDU, and I set the knob on the MCP to approach from map mode, but the ILS never came alive after I was turned  to intercept.  The GS indicator did show up.

I5-6600K @4.2 GHZ | GTX-1070 | 32GB RAM | Windows 7/10 Dual Boot on SSD and M.2
FSX-Acceleration | P3D 4.5 | MSFS 2020

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: New 777 owner, couple ??'s
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
What exactly do I do to initiate the takeoff roll?   I simply engaged the autothrottle button (they were armed already) on my first flight, but it seemed a little weak.  Do I need to do something with the TOGA buttons on the throttles first?
This is a bit of a personal choice. I use the TOGA buttons on the Throttles, then after having raised the landing gear, I turn the Autopilot ON, and then, depending on the SID, I will engage LNAV (or HDG SEL if VECTORS is listed as the next waypoint) and VNAV.

Quote:
Also, although I have VNAV configured for the entire flight,  I am flying with default ATC  in FSX, so I break off the flightplan about 60-70 miles out as instructed, and I take over vertical navigation and speed myself and use heading mode to follow ATC vectors for the ILS    I can't figure out how to set up for an ILS landing.  How do I set the NAV radio for the proper frequency?   I thought I had done so in the CDU, and I set the knob on the MCP to approach from map mode, but the ILS never came alive after I was turned  to intercept.  The GS indicator did show up.
On the CDU, open the RAD/NAV Page. In the scratchpad, enter the Frequency/Heading of the ILS in this format -> XXX.XX/XXX (111.10/335), then press LSK4L. IF the frequency/heading is already there, press LSK4L TWICE! The first press copies it to the scratchpad, the second press pastes it back. There will be an M after it, which tells you that it has been done manually, so make sure it is the correct FREQ/HDG.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Thanks, Mark!  Not sure what I did wrong yesterday, but I'll give it a go again today.

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:36am
Print Post  
My test flight I just completed worked fine. 

The only issue I had was the autoland was a bit firm.  Is there anything else that needs to be set for autoland?   It did go to idle thrust and did a small flare, but the AP stayed on after touchdown.

Should that have disengaged automatically, or do I need to do that manually after touchdown?

This is remarkable plane, it is going to take some time to get everything as smooth as I want it.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 2:24am
Print Post  
For the landing, I use VREF+5 + 50% Wind. So what tt means that if I'm landing in an 12 knot headwind, I would use VREF+5+6.

In the following images.
Aircraft weight is 375.1, VREF is 30/124.
ILS16 (159o), wind 178o/12 knots.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/Markoz958/2014-1-12_12-41-54-56_zps0d447...

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/Markoz958/2014-1-12_12-42-10-585_zpsbfaf...

My landing speed was 135 KIAS (124+5+6), and the landing was quite soft. The 777 doesn't quite flare like it should, but if your numbers are close to what the need to be, then the landing should be pretty good.
It should perform a fully automated landing (LAND3) quite well, which includes the A/P and A/T disconnecting on landing.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mark.

I see that speed is everything with landing this baby.  A few knots too many on a manual landing and you're halfway down the runway at touchdown!

I flew this plane most of the day yesterday.  It is great when ity all goes smoothly, but I have some weird things that happen. 

According to Jon M's tutorial, when I put 250 into the speed window on the MCP,  the VNAV logic in the CDU is supposed to honor that restriction until I get to 10000feet.  On my first few flights, this seemed to work, but the last few, it can't seem to manage it.  More like 270.  Maybe it is running out of elevator authority.

The CDU also changes all my speeds in the Legs page to 315 after takeoff.  I was flying from Chicago to St Louis at fl280, and several of the legs were displayed as ".80/280" in the Legs page after CDU programming was complete.   But they all changed speed to 315 by themselves.   So then when I get to altitude, I have to do your left-click on the speed knob trick to get a cruise speed of .80.

Also, somehow now my marker beacon audio is sounding on takeoff.  Where are the controls for the audio for marker beacons? 

If I want to do FLCH mode to climb instead of VNAV, will the thrust settings for climb still change from Takeoff to Climb automatically?  Or do I have to do that manually?

Thanks again for all your help, Mark.   These CS planes are great (I have 727,737, and now this 777) but there is no way I could have got them working without you and the other great people on these forums who spend a lot of time helping us to get the most out of them. 

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Regarding the flare on the 777, I flew as a passenger on a real AA 777 from Chicago to London and then the return trip from Manchester EGCC to Chicago two summers ago.  I noticed that it did not have a very noticeable flare when landing.  Not as much as a 737 or 757 does.   A little bit, but we were already coming down with a few degrees of up angle, then when they cut the power, it just settled down nicely for a very smooth landing both time.

It was a sweet ride both ways.  The 777 is a really nice aircraft.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I see that speed is everything with landing this baby.  A few knots too many on a manual landing and you're halfway down the runway at touchdown!
I look at it this way. When looking at the 777 from the left or right side in Locked Spot view, make sure that the nose wheel is above the main landing gear (nose up attitude). That way the landing will be softer. as I said before, it does flare, but it is not very much. Sometimes, it doesn't flare at all! And the landing is going to be pretty heavy. This might be what you are seeing.

I flew this plane most of the day yesterday.  It is great when ity all goes smoothly, but I have some weird things that happen.
Mine flies very well most of the time - about 90% or better.

According to Jon M's tutorial, when I put 250 into the speed window on the MCP,  the VNAV logic in the CDU is supposed to honor that restriction until I get to 10000feet.  On my first few flights, this seemed to work, but the last few, it can't seem to manage it.  More like 270.  Maybe it is running out of elevator authority.
The VNAV should honour the speed you enter in the Speed Indicator. I assume that you are clicking in the centre of the IAS/MACH Selector so that VNAV is still active, but you are controlling the speed.

The CDU also changes all my speeds in the Legs page to 315 after takeoff.  I was flying from Chicago to St Louis at fl280, and several of the legs were displayed as ".80/280" in the Legs page after CDU programming was complete.   But they all changed speed to 315 by themselves.   So then when I get to altitude, I have to do your left-click on the speed knob trick to get a cruise speed of .80.
Strange. I haven't seen that myself. I can't think why it would change them. Next time that happens, check the VNAV CRZ page (page 2/3), and see what is entered in there for the speed. If it show 315, change it to 280 and the wspeed on the waypoints should change to match it.

Also, somehow now my marker beacon audio is sounding on takeoff.  Where are the controls for the audio for marker beacons?  
I can only assume that you are overflying some marker beacons after taking off, so they are triggering the sound. I have had this happen in other aircraft before (which possibly includes the Cs7770, I just ignore it.

If I want to do FLCH mode to climb instead of VNAV, will the thrust settings for climb still change from Takeoff to Climb automatically?  Or do I have to do that manually?
As far as I know, it will change on it's own. I rarely use FLCH, mostly VNAV, but that because it works fine for me almost all the time, as I said above. I gave the 777 a good run of tests out of Heathrow (EGLL) where a lot of time is spent holding altitude due to Altitude Constraints in the SID's (i.e. 6000 feet in the SID DVR6K), and even though I had entered the Cruise Altitude in the Altitude Indicator, it stopped at, and held, 6000 feet until it passed the waypoint that allowed it to continue the climb. So VNAV is working really well for me.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
If I could just get the VNAV to honor my 250 knot speed restriction up to 10000, I'd just about be ready to go have some fun with this plane.  But that is a very essential function.  It just can't seem to do it.  The best it can do is around 270.  Then it continues to hold 270 even after it should accelerate up to 315. 

Really annoying.  I have the plane loaded down with full cargo units and just a handful of empty seats.  I am flying a pretty short flight just between CHicago and ST Louis, so I have only 10,000 gallons of fuel on hand.  I wonder if the plane is just too light to have enough elevator authority to hold 250.  But I am using Climb 2, so that should help.   Even vertical speeds of over 5000 ft/min are not enough to hold 250, even with my derated climb setting.

These symptoms sound like what a lot of people were experiencing before SP3.  I do have SP3 installed (Un-installed 1.2, re-installed 1.2,  installed SP3, both using "run as admin".  I verify version 1.3 in the load aircraft menu "see details".

Also, how the heck do you get the thing to stop opening the CaptainSim website to the SP3 page???!!!  THAT is really annoying!.  I have SP3, so why do that?

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Ugh.  There must be something I'm missing that is making this 250 k speed restriction not work.  

I am using the TOGA switches on the throttle to get going.  I have the speed window set up to 250.  I have the AT armed.  I have the ALT set to fl 280.  Heading window has the heading dialed up.  F/D is on, with only VNAV activated.  

TOGA, rotate at VR, gear up at positive climb rate. Hold speed to about 180 k with pitch manually.  Engage AP,  retract flaps, watch plane accelerate to about 270k at VS of over 5000ftm.  Even after climb mode activates, "TOGA" is still on the screen above the main flight instruments.  

What is truly messed up is that even after 10,000 feet, where the restriction should go away, the speed stays at 270 at 4000+ fpm climb.  Why would it do that?  It ought to lower the nose and accelerate to the 315 that is in the Legs page at 10,000, yes????

Is there something I am supposed to do to tell the thing we are not taking off anymore and that it should be thinking climb speeds?

EDIT ######I might have got it#############

Instead of using the throttle TOAG button, I used the continuous thust button on the glareshield right below the AT arm switches.  This time it did what I wanted it to do.  

I also changes my cost factor to 500 from 100, and it seems to have stopped altering my legs page after takeoff.

What does everyone else use for cost factor?

****EDIT #2 ******************!!!!!
It only switches from TOGA mode to VNAV Speed hold mode if LNAV is also selected!! 

AHA!!  I knew I was missing something.  If I only have VNAV selected, it never gets out of TOGA mode. 

That's a major bug, I think.   You shoukd be able to use heading mode to hold the runway heading until ATC turns you.  But if you use heading mode for lateral guidance and have VNAV selected for vertical guidance, it fails to follow the 250 k speed restriction.  As soon as I hit LNAV, the VNAV starts working properly!

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 1:38am
Print Post  
David Paul wrote on Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:22pm:
EDIT ######I might have got it#############

Instead of using the throttle TOAG button, I used the continuous thust button on the glareshield right below the AT arm switches.  This time it did what I wanted it to do.  

I also changes my cost factor to 500 from 100, and it seems to have stopped altering my legs page after takeoff.

What does everyone else use for cost factor?

****EDIT #2 ******************!!!!!
It only switches from TOGA mode to VNAV Speed hold mode if LNAV is also selected!!  

AHA!!  I knew I was missing something.  If I only have VNAV selected, it never gets out of TOGA mode.  

That's a major bug, I think.   You shoukd be able to use heading mode to hold the runway heading until ATC turns you.  But if you use heading mode for lateral guidance and have VNAV selected for vertical guidance, it fails to follow the 250 k speed restriction.  As soon as I hit LNAV, the VNAV starts working properly!

I have said that about the LNAV and VNAV in an earlier post. I'm not sure if my post was in this topic, or not. Sad

Have you tried it with the TO/GA button on the Throttle since you discovered that? It should work the same as the Climb/Continuous (CLB/CON) Thrust Switch.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top