Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Icing, Weather and Engines, Oh My! (Read 4800 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Icing, Weather and Engines, Oh My!
Jan 5th, 2014 at 6:23am
Print Post  
My flight from Sao Paolo Brazil to Santa Cruz Bolivia was interesting. I was using Active Sky Next, which is proving a mixed blessing. I will say the foggy morning at the origin was convincing, and the towering storms encountered half-way were amazing. By the way, the Captain Sim Weather Radar picked up ASN's storms nicely, which surprised me, although I eventually used their own gauge to deviate, skirting the thunderstorm and giving the starboard-side passengers quite a show.

A couple of things about ASN if you have it or are considering it. Turbulence as very aggressive, and it gives me long freezes. They last about eight minutes, maybe two in a flight, maybe none. Not that big of a deal, all things considered; honestly ASN makes it a new sim as far as I'm concerned.

I realized after all this time that I wasn't sure how icing protection was handled, and there is nothing in the documentation about it. I'm sure there was icing.

Then my engines got weird on me. EPR got pretty low, resulting in a 210 kt airspeed shortly before TD. NOTHING would spin them up any higher, not disengaging the autothrottle and using the throttle (it would just advance as far as the (low) EPR bug and that was that). Given that I was ready to descend anyway, I wasn't too worried, and eventually made the visual approach to runway 16, well left to the centerline, I'm sorry to say, but not in the grass, at least. (Why can't I line up runways in FSX like when I was flying real airplanes? GAH!)

So (1) what do we do about icing? and (2) what do you think was up with the engines? I suspect ASN weirdness.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

DAL191

Re: Icing, Weather and Engines, Oh My!
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Tim

The OAT might have been too high for the altitude you were cruiswing at. This will effect engine performance and reduce thrust. In the another company MD-11 I flew a EDDF-KLAX flight always using the same route. Around the ROLUM and TINDI waypoints the TAT would switch from -8C to +22C. EGT would shoot up and I would need to descend from FL300 to FL240 and stay there until the OAT and TAT decreased to normal. This happened on about a third of the flights. This was with AS2012. HiFi eventually got it corrected in a SP.

Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Michael. I'll check the OAT if it happens again. I find it more than coincidental that I'm seeing all sorts of weird things I've never seen before since I installed ASN. But until it becomes absolutely unflyable, I'll stick with it.

Do you have to do anything in the 757 to counter icing? I didn't see it covered in the manual, other than a brief mention about engines.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

DAL191

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Tim

They are switches on the bottom middle section of the Overhead Panel for wing and engine ice. You could turn those on. I have never used them because I don't think ice is simulated with the 757-200. I still believe the problem is probably with a high TAT which will just really degrade engine performance.

Michael Cubine

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

fuzzy11

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I was departing JFK last Saturday for Heathrow and there was a bong sound in the cockpit.  I checked EICAS and saw Icing.  I immediately opened overhead and turned on engine and wing de-ice.  Within a matter of seconds, power was restored.  From there on I also leave it on auto.

IP Logged

Rhys Barber

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2014 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
what its all about!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top