Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 My day as an airline pilot. (Read 8795 times)
windplayer

My day as an airline pilot.
Aug 11th, 2013 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Im searching the information on historical routes in Europe and USA. I'd like to fly those routes and even plan a "day as airline pilot", so i wake up, eat n fly all day, several legs.
I remember some kind of site called historical routes or something, but i cant find it now  Sad

Does anyone have charts, schedules, or any info?

This is my long time dream, to spend a day like that, but since i dont have much free time, i need to plan all day first, prepare all papers, charts, fuelplans and stuff, and thats where my problem is...

Maybe real pilots have some info? Maybe you can share your day schedule?

I know that job is hard, and i dont believe in easy money, but sim is sim. One busy day of flying - great day-off if you not in the airline business  Wink

i fly mostly out of EGKK London Gatwick, but ANY info will fit  Wink

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Re: Historic airlines routes\time tables
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Adding to Lou's tips, I've found this one. http://airchive.com/html/timetable-and-route-maps They feature a ton of classic timetables and things. When it comes to the European stuff, here's one example. http://airchive.com/html/timetable-and-route-maps/european-airlines-timetables-r...

Aeroflot tables from 1975.  Shocked http://airchive.com/html/timetable-and-route-maps/european-airlines-timetables-r...

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys! I've decided to skip commuting part for the first "gig", so next week i'll be captain for a day or two  Cheesy
i mean in realtime day or two  Smiley

Will see will i be able to enjoy it in the end of the day)

IP Logged

windplayer

My day as an airline pilot (Renamed thread)
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
My day as an airline pilot.

I read about how it all works in that industry (good and bad), so i wanted to feel it.

You guys told me that sim is cool because you dont need to face tight schedule and you fly how you want, what you want and where you want. But still i wanted to put my simming to new level of understanding Wink

At first i wanted to plan all very realistic, but i decided to skip that part for beginning. You gotta start somewhere, so i eased up things a little.

I took Star Alliance routes and planned Route from London to London. Flight time taken from skyscanner.com from various airlines operating b737s or airbus a320s.

EGKK EBBR   DEP: 14-00 ARR: 14-40 FLTIME: 40min - unrealistic route
EBBR LFMN    DEP:15-20  ARR: 16-55 FLTIME: 1h 35m
LFMN LOWW   DEP: 17-30 ARR: 19-10 FLTIME: 1h 40m
LOWW EDDF  DEP: 20-00 ARR: 21-15 FLTIME: 1h 15m
EDDF EGKK   DEP: 21-40 ARR: 23-10 FLTIME: 1h 30m

This route should give me around 7 hours of flight time for a flight day.
i shortened ground time because i dont really know how long they should be.
All flights are pretty short, not longer than 450 nm.
I prepared all papers, plans, fuels etc a day before flight.
All flights are done in VATSIM network.
I used FSPassengers X to log flights etc.

Instead of commuting to work, i took my actual work Smiley

So here how it all was:

woke up 8-20, light breakfast then "commuted" to work.
got dinner at 12:30.
arrived to office a little before 13:00
met my f/o for today - me Smiley
climbed into 737-200, started preparations.

London - Brussels
should depart at 14:00, due to problems with aircraft departed at 15:18, arrived at 16:17, flight time 44min, block time 58 min. Short flight, i was unhappy with delay (as it turned out it was my fault)
Landed with V/s -180 fpm

Brussels - Nice.
After 40 min on ground departed to Nice (sea, bitc....ops - beaches and stuff)

Dep 16:50 Arr 18:38 flight time 1:38, block tome 1:52.

Good flight, too bad i dont have FTX Global or GEX. Its cool to look down from cockpit. I calculated ground speed by time, using DME. it was consistent with what FSPX showed me.
Overflared on landing, so float a lot, and landed with V/S -46 fpm.

Nice - Wien
After 50 min on ground departed to Wien. Got my first coffee here.

DEP: 19:28   ARR: 20:55  FLTIME: 1:19  BLOCK: 1:33

Calm flight, but routine started to show itself. That constant wind sound, and i got hungry. Since i were hard off schedule - i couldnt eat on ground. Since flights short, i couldnt eat inflight. So i ate bananas, and peanuts. Those peanuts are something. They do have some load of calories required to operate.
There was LOWW APPROACH ATC online, so i made ILS 34. landed with V/S -73 fpm.

Wien
I planned to have some food here, but going 1:30 late off schedule i couldnt eat here.
I jumped into 727-100. Guys! Thats BIG cockpit, WOW! Only there i understand that in 737-200 i felt like im sitting in a closet. Its so tight!
A started to feel tired and its no longer fun. No food, no tea (im a tea guy), no entertainment, no hanging/chatting in da web, - just maps, charts, gauges, fuel and nuts. I wasnt sure that i need to continue, but noway i give up. Capt. Reeel Goose is a hard-ass mcrappity smacker, so - I Started 727, all checklists etc, requested IFR to Frankfurt.

Wien - Frankfurt
I rocketed outa LOWW via SNU2C departure. well, at least it sounded like rocket, guess how it feels after half of a shift in 737 Smiley its bigger, slower roll rate etc, so i needed some time to get things sorted in my mind.

DEP: 22:21   ARR: 23:42  FLTIME: 1:06  BLOCK: 1:30

Flight itself was normal. I had ATC from LOWW to EDDF, and EDDF was pretty loaded with traffic. I did ILS 25L and landed with V/S -237 fpm with bounce. crap i thought Smiley
i was hungry, tired, sleepy, taxied to stand, and started preparations for final leg.

Frankfurt - London, Gatwick

ATC gave me dep from 25R, i accepted it, taxied around airport(and you know its BIG port), stopped at holding point and was stunned by what i did...i was holding 25L instead of 25R. I waisted a lot of time taxiing to wrong runway! Things got serious, now i realized how i tired. I requested rwy cross clearance, taxied to 25R, took-off and departed via TAU3Q. I was instructed to climb to FL320 shortly after turn to TAU VOR.

DEP: 0:21  ARR: 1:48  FLTIME: 1:03  BLOCK: 1:35

Had EGKK ATC online, so i did ILS 26L and landed with V/S -152 fps.

I fly frequently outa Gatwick, but only now i felt like im home now Smiley Taxied to stand 21, shutdown.

My simulation was from 13:00 till 2:30 straight. That makes 13 hours 30 minutes. If i count "commuting", that'll make 17 hours 30 minutes on foot. I did procedures, i calculated fuel'n stuff, hand-fly all except cruise. I didnt used things, pilots cant use inflight.

=======================================

Finally i cooked some food, got tea. That tea rocketed me right into heaven. No more constant wind rumble'n nuts.
I put quiet music...got shower and fell asleep. woke up, went to work today, then returned and slept half of the day. It turned out that i needed some rest after that kinda rest i cooked for myself Smiley
But it worked! I needed some rest from music, now i renewed my horn playing force Wink

Seriously, through all that feeling tired and hungry, all that chart paper and crappy communication quality in VATSIM, i really felt like im inside that planes, like im a pilot. Europe felt so small, like there is no frontiers. My city felt bigger than Western Europe! Life space felt so tight, like all that Nice beaches n stuff on the other planet, and your planet - small cockpit. Those cool destinations so near, but you cant touch it. No sea breeze smell for pilots, just hot asphalt smell. Calm Alps, nope - screaming APU down there instead. All in all, that was very unusual experience. At some point, far beyond feeling tired, i started to see into it much deeper. - Guys, those pilots job not so shiny at all!

But that was cool! Next time I'll plan more realistic day Smiley

IP Logged

VeryBumpy

Re: My day as an airline pilot.
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Jeez, all that flying in one day, sounds too much like work.

You don't mention how long all the planning took on the previous day?

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Yep. I did long flights before, but long flight MUCH easier than a bunch of short ones. Work load in long flight pretty light. You just calculating fuel usage, and checking things.
On short flights you have constant high work load. You might have about 15-20 minutes relatively calm time on cruise altitude, but rest of it...Smiley

Flight planning is a part of simulator fun to me Wink
At the beginning i wanted to fly historic route, but time required to calculate it was more than i could spend on that. So i took flight routes from http://routemap.staralliance.com/
Very handy map. So all routes was real, except London - Brussels short flight. Star alliance doesnt fly it.
I spent around 2 hours finding good routes here, comparing distances, and doing raw estimation of the flight time.
At this point after arriving to Gatwick, i should depart to Aberdeen and back to London.

After that i planned flights in FSX flight planner, coz http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ - was overloaded.
Here i made first severe mistake, i should check SIDs, STARs, of all involved airports, but i didnt. Because of that i needed to change one route just before flight, and that increase workload.

FSX flight planner good, if you edit flight plan according to SIDs, STARs. I also writing down VOR types, names, and morse codes.

After flight planning, i found all that routes in skyscanner.com, to get real world flight timings. I assumed that modern 737s or a320 fly same as the old 727-100, and 737-200.

After getting times, i realized that London-Aberdeen- London not possible, because it'll exceed 8 hours a day limit.

For planning fuel i used estimated PAX number = 100 pax, 175 lbs each. and full cargo load.

I used tiny fuel planner for 737-xxx from here http://www.volny.cz/fs2002/B737FPL/B737FPL.htm - VERY handy small program!

For 727-100 i had previously calculated fuel for other routes same length.

All planning took around 4-5 hours. I could do that faster, but i did that job first time. Off course i planned routes before, but just one in a row, and without timings. Here i added realism in routes, and times.

That was cool Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Wow, Windy, you are really stressing yourself to some extent. But this sounds good and I think the phases with the little food and no tea must have been the hardest ones. Now you just have to add more technical problems, drunk passengers and more bad weather, huh?  Cheesy

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 24th, 2013 at 10:40am:
Wow, Windy, you are really stressing yourself to some extent. But this sounds good and I think the phases with the little food and no tea must have been the hardest ones. Now you just have to add more technical problems, drunk passengers and more bad weather, huh?  Cheesy

Smiley food....naaah, but TEA!!! I WANT MY BLACK TEA NO SUGAR SERVED HOT while im flying Angry
When i fly long routes on my 707 freighter, i take 1 litter of hot tea in thermos, plus some burgers. On short (less than 450 nm) routes i found it hard to eat. Leveled up, stabilized speed, and you gotta calculate fuel. Then plan descend and arrival  Shocked
I guess in modern jets you can have light nap on that routes, but not in old ones Wink

I'll add realism step by step Wink We already tried drunk pilots, had to return back coz we break nose gear on take-off  Grin
vatsim weather usually mild, but that day it was severe turbulence all over the EU, but visibility was good.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Good choice on the tea.  Smiley In case you ever get bored, here's a breathtaking video on.. well flying.  Cheesy http://vimeo.com/70994185

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Smiley Wow! Thanks! This video inspired me to do next sim day - aug 27! I'll do up to 8 hours flight time again, but i'll take tea and burgers, like i do on long routes!

Summer leaving us already. nights pretty cold here.  Well, summer goes to Markoz and Cappy Grin We'll see what weather will be on flight day, but i know one thing for sure, - hot tea smooths out any cold weather, and cold tea - hot weather. Generally, good tea fixing any weather  Cheesy

I hope my old jets will look gorgeous in the sky, just like in that vid Wink

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
windplayer wrote on Aug 25th, 2013 at 6:37pm:
i'll take tea and burgers, like i do on long routes!

Windy, I have to tell you, but this doesn't sound like a healthy diet.  Tongue Perhaps you can elaborate on the 'burger' details in a later post. Whatever happens, fly save and keep reporting.  Smiley

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Hey, Windy. How's your journey going?

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I think the CEO might have worn him out... Tongue

Windy, my day ALWAYS started with a coffee. NOTHING moved until it was finished.  Grin

Captains orders...  Wink

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Indeed, nothing like a good coffee or tea in the morning.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top