Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Real World Experience (Read 4813 times)
Matthew Chase

Real World Experience
Jun 6th, 2013 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Let me preface this post by saying I started using the CaptainSim C-130 many years ago as a young teenage excited about the Aircraft. Luckily I have become a USCG Aviator and C-130 Pilot, I am currently in the Transition Course learning to fly the HC-130H. I am also a software engineer (by degree and hobby) and have been looking to Mod the C-130 to reflect our current Aircraft and update some of the logic to match the real aircraft. I was wondering if anyone from CaptainSim would be of assistance in allowing me to Mod the Aircraft for personal use and training.  That being said if anyone on the forum has any questions please do not hesistate to send a message my way.

-Matthew Chase
HC-130H Pilot
CGAS Barbers Point

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Re: Real World Experience
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Dear Matthew,

Welcome to forum and thank you for kind comments!
You are allowed to mod the aircraft for personal use and training any way you like.

IP Logged

KSATBob

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Matthew Chase wrote on Jun 6th, 2013 at 12:57am:
Let me preface this post by saying I started using the CaptainSim C-130 many years ago as a young teenage excited about the Aircraft. Luckily I have become a USCG Aviator and C-130 Pilot, I am currently in the Transition Course learning to fly the HC-130H. I am also a software engineer (by degree and hobby) and have been looking to Mod the C-130 to reflect our current Aircraft and update some of the logic to match the real aircraft. I was wondering if anyone from CaptainSim would be of assistance in allowing me to Mod the Aircraft for personal use and training.  That being said if anyone on the forum has any questions please do not hesistate to send a message my way.

-Matthew Chase
HC-130H Pilot
CGAS Barbers Point

Matthew, congratulations on making that boyhood dream a reality!! Thanks for your service!!

I have the C-130 and am having some problems getting down on approach and landing even with a LONG runway. Any advice you would have would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have full flaps, engine throttles at cruise, props fully feathered, landing gear down and still it takes me forever to get down and stop. How do you do it when you are looking at 4,000 feet or less runway?  Embarrassed

IP Logged

VeryBumpy

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
OP, very cool. I'm sure most in here are jealous of your accomplishments. Kudos to you.

After seeing all the procedures, charts and data one must know, I'm happy just to sim fly and short cut it as I see fit.

IP Logged

flibinite

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2013 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Off-topic because I cannot create new posts - just looking for and airspeed reality check.  My C130 maxes out at about 250KIAS/350 true airspeed on the navigator's panel, regardless of load.  Is this true to the real thing?

IP Logged

wfriedman1971

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Yes MAX cruise speed is listed as 335 KTAS

IP Logged

X24

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
KSATBob wrote on Jul 28th, 2013 at 5:18pm:
I have the C-130 and am having some problems getting down on approach and landing even with a LONG runway. Any advice you would have would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have full flaps, engine throttles at cruise, props fully feathered, landing gear down and still it takes me forever to get down and stop. How do you do it when you are looking at 4,000 feet or less runway?  
Embarrassed

KSATBob - I read your comments with interest, and I'm curious about the aircraft configuration you describe.

I don't have experience on the real world Herc, but I do have plenty on smaller medium-size turboprops like the Dash 8, operating out of dirt airstrips around Western Australia, so I hope I might offer some suggestions that will help you out. It's about 1/4 the size of Herc with less than 1/3 the power, but with all due regard for the obvious differences, they kind of work the same in some respects.

First of all, what is your own experience/background, and also, do you have any performance documentation? If not message me and I'll get some stuff to you.

The "engine throttles at cruise" would probably be too much power for an approach and landing. For a given weight, there will be a prescribed approach speed. One table I have shows that for a weight of 120,000 lbs, the speed over the threshold with full flaps should be 120 kts. At 120 kts, the rate of descent down final would be 600fpm on a 3 degree profile (getting rid of the "0"'s, 1/2 of 12 is 6...). You will essentially be using whatever power is necessary to maintain the speed when established on a stable glide slope. Try doing a few ILS's with the autopilot engaged while you're controlling the speed, and you will see: a) how much power is required, and b) what nose (pitch) attitude is required. Both together will control the final trajectory. Attitude + power = performance.

Also, are you sure that you are trying to land with the props fully feathered? Could you please explain what you mean by that. If the props were really feathered, they would be producing no thrust at all, so I'm picking that you're actually trying to refer to something else. Feel free to PM me if you feel like it.

Cheers,

Chris Allan
A320 Pilot
Australia

&&C-130 X-perience I & II | FSX Gold | Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX570 | 24" LCD Monitor | 1 x 1TB HDD | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

IP Logged

wfriedman1971

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Go to
baseops.net/c130pilotgouge.html

Scroll to 36AS Yokota gouge and dl Tactical approaches.

Fly a bad approach, have a bad landing.

IP Logged

wfriedman1971

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 5:03pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top