Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New User Questions (Read 8331 times)
halcyon4

New User Questions
May 21st, 2013 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I recently purchased the B777 as I am training on the actual airplane. Here are a few questions I would like to ask.
1. What is the best view mode for flying the airplane whereby you have access to the MCP, and to be able to see the PFD, ND well enough for some hand flying (along with auto flight), along with the Upper Center Display and easy access to the CDU.
2. The Overhead is very dark in the day time. I have turned on the storm lite, and Master Brightness etc all the way up.
3. I can't seem to start the engines. Have tried both auto start and manual. I get rotation, but no light off. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any other types on flying this airplane would be helpful as I intend to use it as a training device for my Type Rating which I'll be getting in about a month.
Thank you.
David

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: New User Questions
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2013 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Hi David.

1. What is the best view mode for flying the airplane whereby you have access to the MCP, and to be able to see the PFD, ND well enough for some hand flying (along with auto flight), along with the Upper Center Display and easy access to the CDU.
There isn't really a single position that will give you a view where you see all those things AND to be looking forward through the window. I resized some of the 2D gauges (DSP, EFIS, CDU, MCP and RADIO STACK) so they don't fill up the scereen when open. So what I do is have the SimIcon 2D Panel open, then I select the items I need to view, when I need to view them, then close them again.

2. The Overhead is very dark in the day time. I have turned on the storm lite, and Master Brightness etc all the way up.
Mine is fine during the day. It is only hard to see during the transition from day to night and night to day, so I'm not sure why yours would be hard to see during the day.

3. I can't seem to start the engines. Have tried both auto start and manual. I get rotation, but no light off. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Press CTRL+SHIFT+F4 (the default Mixture (full rich) keyboard command).
OR.
On your default flight for FSX, make sure that the mixture lever(s) is set to 100%.
Either of those should enable the engine to start.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

halcyon4

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2013 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mark. The start solution worked. Just haven't found in my training materials the mixture control. Do you know where the carb heat is located? Wink

Do you know how to select TOGA?

The autothrottle doesn't seem to actual control speed, and on take off it never went to climb mode. Is that function not working?

It seems like a pretty good product. I am used to flying another company 767-300. I'm sure the plane will improve with time. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
David

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Do you know where the carb heat is located?
There are no Carb Heaters in the 777. If you look above the NAV, Beacon, Logo & Wing light switches, there are three ANTI ICE switches with the positions of OFF/AUTO/ON, having these on AUTO or ON, they would normally work, but do not. Therefore, using the SHIFT+H combo is the only way to prevent the pitot tubes from freezing up, which causes (1) the speed indicator to drop, (2) the A/T to push the throttles fully forward, and (3) the actually speed to increase way beyond the VNE (Never Exceed speed).

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/Markoz958/CS777_ANTI_ICE_Switches_zps5dc...
The Anti Ice Switches in the red box, the NAV, Beacon, Logo and Wing light switches in the yellow box.

Do you know how to select TOGA?
Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+G. Or. Click on the circled area of the throttle quadrant in this image:

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/Markoz958/CS777_TOGA_Switches_zps533f83c...
In the larger view, I have put red boxes around the TOGA Switches.
In the smaller view, I have placed an arrow on the area to click on and activate TOGA when you turn the view in the VC so you are looking at the throttle quadrant.
It's fairly easy to find if you have Cockpit Tooltips turned on

The autothrottle doesn't seem to actual control speed, and on take off it never went to climb mode. Is that function not working?
It works for me.

Are you programming the FMC? On the TAKEOFF page, are selecting the V1, VR & V2 speeds?

It seems like a pretty good product. I am used to flying other 767-300. I'm sure the plane will improve with time.
Update v1.2 will, hopefully, be released soon. That should improve it some more. Wink

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome. Grin

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2013 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
David,

Boeing switched the position of the Go Around switch on the 777.

Either button will send the plane into G/A

Same with the 767/757, either paddle will send the plane into G/A

As for the brightness of the overhead panel.... I tried all different combinations of day, dusk, night and various settings for the lights and I find the panel is very easy to see and read. I don't use a computer monitor, instead I use a wide screen LCD T.V. and it does a fine job on the view.

Mark's suggestion about using the SimIcons is a good one. I usually just select the sub-panel I want and re-size it and put it some where out of the way.

You say you are being trained on the 777? Which operator? If you do get the rating you could be the 777 expert soon!  Cool

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

halcyon4

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Thank you both for the response. To answer Lou's question, I'm with Omni Air. We are a ACMI US based company with 2 777-200ER's.

Regards,
David

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top