Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sound Config for Wind (Read 5260 times)
Kapitan

Sound Config for Wind
May 7th, 2013 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has altered the way volume sounds are present in the cockpit, if there is some sound.cfg somewhere. I would like to reduce the engines sound and increase wind, up to 90% or more above 250 knots, and much higher than it is now for lower speeds.

&&&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Sound Config for Wind
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2013 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Kapitan wrote on May 7th, 2013 at 12:30am:
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has altered the way volume sounds are present in the cockpit, if there is some sound.cfg somewhere. I would like to reduce the engines sound and increase wind, up to 90% or more above 250 knots, and much higher than it is now for lower speeds.

You could take a look at the sound.ini file (open it with Notepad) in the FSX\Captain_Sim\737 folder. I don't they are the sounds you need to edit though.

SO

You could open the WAV files, found in the FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B737-200\sound folder, with a sound editing program and reduce/increase the volume that way.
Or..
Change the output volume in the sound.cfg found in the same folder as the WAV files.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Kapitan

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2013 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on May 7th, 2013 at 6:40am:
Kapitan wrote on May 7th, 2013 at 12:30am:
Hi,

You could take a look at the sound.ini file (open it with Notepad) in the FSX\Captain_Sim\737 folder. I don't they are the sounds you need to edit though.

SO

You could open the WAV files, found in the FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B737-200\sound folder, with a sound editing program and reduce/increase the volume that way.
Or..
Change the output volume in the sound.cfg found in the same folder as the WAV files.

Thanks Markoz.
Im doing that now.
The sound.ini from Captain_sim folder are only click and cabin sounds. So that I leave alone.

The sound.cfg is very interesting because you spot lots of bugs or incomplete stuff
There are two wind sounds
a) 707_wind.wav
b) VC10_wav

Neither of them is used.
The sound.cfg uses the default fsx sounds from the sounds folder.

It uses five different wind sounds in combination or alone so its very complicated to change parameters. Besides it would require to lower all the different engine sounds too.

The another company 737ngx uses a nice combination of wind sounds that are predominant in flight giving a real feeling, and its not much different in the 737-727-707,

(Wind sound is the same and doesn't change with time or modern planes, its just the same sound for each speed for any plane) It would change if the mass or airdynamics are radical different, but there is no shape difference between the 200 and the ngx series, and very little among the other two.

I thought to replace the entire WIND chapter from their sound.cfg and put it in the CS planes, but that would still require to adjust the engines volume. Will try.

k

&&&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2013 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The sound.ini from Captain_sim folder are only click and cabin sounds. So that I leave alone.
Yeah. I didn't think there would be any sounds in there that needed changing, but I thought it better mention them just in case.

I hope you achieve what you want. Wink

I know I tried editing the Fasten Seatbelts and No Smoking sign sounds for the 737-200 (they were/are too quiet), but only managed to improve it a bit. If I remember correctly, I only edited the sound.cfg file and not the WAV files.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Kapitan

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2013 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
UPDATE
I managed by switching the entire WIND section by the config of the other 737ngx. Worked beautiful, I had to copy the 6 wav files into the sound folder, no need to alter engine volumes.

Now its real, the wind sound predominates at speeds above 250 and at near 300 its all you hear. It real because the wind sound actually tells you whats going on, sometimes Im panning on the gauges busy programming or checking, and I listen how the wind sound changes so I know speed has gone up or down and must keep an eye...just like in the real plane. If you don't have the other you will need to configure manually, which I don't recommend.

I remember in the cockpit of real 707s that although I didn't follow what was going on or was just watching out of the window from the jumper seat, I could tell each maneuver or atitude change, acceleration or reduction, by wind sound.

&&&&

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Kapitan is correct. The air noise in both the 707 & 727 above 300 knots IAS got very loud. Some pilots would not fly faster than 300 knots IAS to protect hearing. The 747 was also very loud at high speed/IAS.

The 757 & 767 on the other hand were really quiet.  Smiley

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Kapitan

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on May 7th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
Kapitan is correct. The air noise in both the 707 & 727 above 300 knots IAS got very loud. Some pilots would not fly faster than 300 knots IAS to protect hearing. The 747 was also very loud at high speed/IAS.

The 757 & 767 on the other hand were really quiet.  Smiley

Thanks Capt Lou,
Your opinion is very important, there are very few real pilots of these irons around. Many details bypass the knowledge of developpers or simmers alike, experience details that not even the real pilots pass them unless they are brought to think about it.

Many 707 lovers, or 727 ususally say "i flew them" or even "i was in the cockpit once, or twice" . But these quick encounters are not enough to sediment a bunch of details that are known only to real pilots of those models. Or someone that spent sometimes whole flights in the jumper seat, like me.

People remember the wind...oh yes the wind...but how loud was it? At what speed it became the only sound? Such detail doesnt come on a few cockpit visits or just by having travelled a lot in the 80s...these details only come if your bum was sitting there all day! And they have been bypassed by developpers all round the hobby, despite CS is among the top best.

Its there are just so many...its impossible to go after each, but slowly with help of real pilots the memory of the real planes and how they felt wont die away Smiley

&&&&

IP Logged

Firecapt_32

Former A&P:B52,KC135,707,72
7,737,747,DC8,DC9,L1

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I use A2A's Accusim addon on several on my payware aircraft. This allows you to alter many of these issues from one screen.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top