Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Southwest Airlines Repaints finished (Read 17697 times)
btscott

Re: Southwest Airlines Repaints finished
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2014 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Well, I always thought it was the big bold letters on the side of the fuselage, but here's what wikipedia says:

"With the introduction of wide body aircraft, a new form of livery also came about called the billboard livery. With billboard liveries the actual name of the airline became the unique and main feature of an airlines fuselage livery. By abandoning the cheatline that had traditionally run the length of the aircraft along the windowline; billboard liveries dropped the window cheatline colors and extended the name of the airlines titles above as well as below the window line in a much larger script."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_livery#Billboard

Now we know!! Says there were several carriers with *billboard* liveries -- which I didn't know!!  Shocked

Cheers!

Bruce

PS - Here's a video I made some time ago using the CS 707. There's a picture of me at my desk in 1963.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtzhGwjqJ0&feature=em-upload_owner

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much Bruce. So nothing to do with Pan Am itself.
Cheatline, which is also explained following your link to wiki, is also a word I was wondering why it's called cheatline. Why cheating ? The only planes I know cheating in the cheatline (hehe) were the DC4s faking rectangular windows to rival the DC7 optically.  Huh
I watched your video, great job ! Did you tour the world ?
take care, Lex

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2014 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Lex --

No clue here about the *cheat line* purpose or reasoning. First I'd heard of it! I also thought the billboard thing applied only to PA. Never heard that other carriers had billboard liveries too!

To be perfectly honest, in the 6 years I was with PAA I only went to Hawaii twice and Nassau once! I was newly married and making less than $400 a month to start. I spent the rest of my working career in the travel agency business and traveled quite a bit --- mostly for free. I turned down numerous free trips to Australia, China, Egypt, Russia, Africa, Iran, India and many others because I really didn't like airplane riding that much and those destinations just didn't appeal to me. Huge mistake! Went to Hawaii, Mexico and Europe dozens of times though; and also went on dozens of cruises. Oh yeah, did the Orient once pretty thoroughly including the old HKG Kai Tak airport! Enough of that!!!

Bruce

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2014 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Wow, very impressive Bruce. You saw quite some corners on planet Earth.
Now, I hope you don't mind but while I was watching u tube about Pan Am history my hands went out of control and ...

Did you really made such reservations ?  Wink

take care,
Lex

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2014 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Hey, you are very good with the Photoshop stuff!!! I see you found the Pan Am Moon Reservation thing too!! No, I never got a call for a seat to the moon!! That came along a just after I had left PA. I remember it well though.

Going on a cruise in a couple weeks. The ship spends a day and a half in Bermuda. Will be visiting a good friend and former DENPA District Sales & Res Manager. He was the BDAPA Station Manager when PA ceased operations and he never left. My ex boss at DENRRPA lives on Long Boat Key in Florida and we're still in touch as well. We just had a local PA reunion lunch here in DEN and there were about 12 of us in attendance. So we are keeping the *Blue Meatball* alive here!!!

Bruce

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #20 - Apr 6th, 2014 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Great to hear that you keep the "Blue Meatball" alive. Wish you all the Best for your trip.

I've just uploaded the Pan Am schemes at Avsim.
N67AF "Clipper Tempelhof"
N383PA Combi "Clipper Steglitz"
N70723 ADV "Clipper Dawn"
N63AF "Clipper Hornet" in Billboard scheme
N70724 ADV "Clipper Georgia" in Billboard scheme

take care, Lex

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #21 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 2:34am
Print Post  
WOW! Beautiful like always Lex! Thank you!  Smiley

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #22 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Oooh my, Lex!!! Absolutely wonderful!! Thanks a bunch! Going to make a video with these and send to my PAA friends!!!

Unreal!! You're a machine!!

Thank you so much!!

Bruce
DENRRPA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top