Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 10 About to man up!!! (Read 5968 times)
oskiatl

About to man up!!!
Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Time for something different around here for a change, LOL! About to try my manhood by trying to land my 777 at Kai Tak, I've been watching to much YouTube, now I think I'm tough enough to try the RWY 13 approach  Undecided ! I have never tried it in any aircaft this will be my first,and I'm going to use my 777! Anyone who has done it with CS777, I could use your advice Grin! I'm going to try Saturday, so I need advice from everyone till then!! Grin

IP Logged

packers101

Re: About to man up!!!
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:59pm
Print Post  

Patrick&&&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 12:19am
Print Post  
oskiatl wrote on Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:57pm:
Time for something different around here for a change, LOL! About to try my manhood by trying to land my 777 at Kai Tak, I've been watching to much YouTube, now I think I'm tough enough to try the RWY 13 approach  Undecided ! I have never tried it in any aircaft this will be my first,and I'm going to use my 777! Anyone who has done it with CS777, I could use your advice Grin! I'm going to try Saturday, so I need advice from everyone till then!! Grin

I have not yet attempted it in any large aircraft (Heavy) yet. Only in GA aircraft which is very easy. I thought about doing it in the CS 767-300, but chickened out and went to the new airport. Embarrassed

So in my best British accent - Good luck on your attempt old chap! Grin

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 1:13am
Print Post  
You guys are very encouraging Cheesy

IP Logged

Saratoga

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 2:34am
Print Post  
oskiatl wrote on Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:57pm:
Time for something different around here for a change, LOL! About to try my manhood by trying to land my 777 at Kai Tak, I've been watching to much YouTube, now I think I'm tough enough to try the RWY 13 approach  Undecided ! I have never tried it in any aircraft this will be my first,and I'm going to use my 777! Anyone who has done it with CS777, I could use your advice Grin! I'm going to try Saturday, so I need advice from everyone till then!! Grin

Fun approach, but makes you work. A decent computer helps. Don't be afraid to go around. Turning off auto-coordination can be helpful at the flare. Have the proper landing configuration, speed and power set before the final approach bar which is right before the checkerboard. Start banking just before the final approach bar goes under the nose. Keep your eyes on the VASI and your speed as you make the turn. Good luck.

I've landed the CS777 there several times. Try to time it so that the fireworks display happens during the approach (FlyTampa).

I remember landing at Kai Tak several times as a kid and watching the planes land during layovers. A friend of mine flew 747s into Kai Tak for years. He jokes that "you fly toward the checkerboard until you can't stand it anymore, and then turn." I've also been at the new Hong Kong airport. It is nice and has much higher capacity, but not nearly the personality of Kai Tak.

Ben

IP Logged

windycityflyer

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:12am
Print Post  
CHECKERBOARD MATE!

And, Good-Luck.

Heed the good advice.

Be very aware of the threshold-crossing (altitude/sink). On one occasion (w/ default 747), I ended up nearly in the Bay. But, you have prepared yourself. You will do fine.

Keep us posted.

IP Logged

Mike777

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 5:44am
Print Post  
A few suggestions:

Use the glideslope indicator until you start your turn, but once you have visual on the runway don't worry about it.  Use the vasi lights as recommended above.  Ignore "glideslope, glideslope" warnings.  

Move your viewpoint over to the far left side of the cockpit at the beginning of your approach so the center post won't block your view of the runway as you make the right turn.

I keep the autothrottle on so I don't have to pay attention to speed and can concentrate on the turn and descent.  You may have to manually disconnect the autothrottle at or just before touchdown; I'm not sure if it will disconnect automatically.

Watch out for cross-winds and compensate in your turn accordingly.

Give yourself at least two miles visibility and 1000 ft ceiling -- you can try reducing both of these later after you get some practice.

Know the go-around procedure and have heading hold set to the runway heading (136) and altitude set to proper go-around altitude (or at  least to something above 2000 ft). 

Good luck!

Mike

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Should I go full flaps or what on the final turn and do I eyeball it for speed or use VREF?

IP Logged

vonstroheim
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2013 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Can't help sharing... This one is my favourite... 1998 Japan Air Lines Boeing 747-200 Kai Tak crosswing landing (IGS 13). Woah indeed...

http://youtu.be/OtnL4KYVtDE

'Hope Captain Sim will build such a classic 747... There's no competition... yet...

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2013 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
That's actually the video and the guy who channel that got me hooked on trying to land there!

IP Logged

packers101

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 12:19am
Print Post  
oskiatl wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 11:46pm:
That's actually the video and the guy who channel that got me hooked on trying to land there!

Have you successfully landed there yet?

Patrick&&&&

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
I'm going to try tomorrow, just got thru upgrading my rig!

IP Logged

packers101

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Once again:

"Good luck. We're all counting on you"

Patrick&&&&

IP Logged

Saratoga

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
oskiatl wrote on Mar 21st, 2013 at 1:26pm:
Should I go full flaps or what on the final turn and do I eyeball it for speed or use VREF?

Flaps 30 is best although 25 will work. Use Vref or Vref+5. The faster your speed the more you'll need to bank, and you really don't want to bank more than necessary. You can also set the A/T to control speed for you but I would still monitor what it is doing. Have landing flaps, spoilers armed, autobrakes set, Vref set and correct power setting before you start the turn. Good luck.

Ben

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Ran into snafu upgrading rig. I bought the wrong card for my  mother board, no worries the store is intown so I can replace it tomorrow Roll Eyes

IP Logged

CameronL

Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 2:45am
Print Post  
How'd it go?!?!?!?!

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I'm replacing my video card and mother board. I'm not very computer saavy,so I bought the wrong card! I have a PCI 1x express and not many cards are made for that board(any suggestions are welcome!!) So, I am in the process this week of an upgrade. When I attempted to land the FPS were in the negative,LOL Tongue! So I am researching a mother board and a card. Between today and tomorrow I am lookng to buy these parts. I trust you guys suggestions. Suggest away Smiley

IP Logged

paul_smith_gw

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
oskiatl wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 4:43pm:
I'm replacing my video card and mother board. I'm not very computer saavy,so I bought the wrong card! I have a PCI 1x express and not many cards are made for that board(any suggestions are welcome!!) So, I am in the process this week of an upgrade. When I attempted to land the FPS were in the negative,LOL Tongue! So I am researching a mother board and a card. Between today and tomorrow I am lookng to buy these parts. I trust you guys suggestions. Suggest away Smiley

i53570K with the right tweaking and you will be set.

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials

This link is your friend. It should have enough information on it to tell you exactly how to get good frames and performance with your new configuration. Cheesy

&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top