Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Capt. Washington VS. Capt. Sullenberger (Read 10152 times)
AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Capt. Washington VS. Capt. Sullenberger
Nov 2nd, 2012 at 1:13am
Print Post  

Not sure but this movie looks to be more of a joke (like one of my favourites, Airplane).

Enjoy  Wink Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqn2L6kQQt8

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Re: Capt. Washington VS. Capt. Sullenberger
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 1:41am
Print Post  
I think it's meant to be serious--it gets pretty dramatic, according to the trailers.

I've been seeing trailers for it for a while, and it looks pretty good whether you're an aviation fan or not.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:56am
Print Post  
It looks like an interesting movie, but what does it have to do with "Capt. Washington VS. Capt. Sullenberger"?

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:56am:
It looks like an interesting movie, but what does it have to do with "Capt. Washington VS. Capt. Sullenberger"?

Denzel Washington is the lead actor in Flight, where he manages to land a badly-damaged plane. Chelsey Sullenberger is the famous pilot who landed in the Hudson a few years back.

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:51am
Print Post  
I know all that, but what does it have to do with the movie. Did I miss something in the video clip/trailer?

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 11:36am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:37am:
Markoz wrote on Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:56am:

Denzel Washington is the lead actor in Flight, where he manages to land a badly-damaged plane. Chelsey Sullenberger is the famous pilot who landed in the Hudson a few years back.

That's what I meant when I wrote that. The whole point is that Washington was the only guy who could land that plane in those circumstances, I think. It looks like a serious movie, with the investigation after the accident anyways.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It looks like a serious movie, with the investigation after the accident anyways.

Thanks for the tip.

I too was under the impression of this being a serious movie, but a part of me thinks that the Hollywood folks will over-stress the hero theme which e.g. gets supported by the last scene, with the inverted flying plane.  Shocked I know of real world barrel rolls, but a constant inverted flight with an airliner?  Huh Don't try this at home.

Besides, Cpt Sully always tried to avoid the hero sticker media tried to attach to him and his crew. And none of them ever said that they were the only ones being able to land that plane. Any good crew can do that. No single hero, but a bunch of true professionals make your every day life safe.  Smiley Boring message, I know.

But I'm not sure if they (the movie makers) want to relate to Sully's landing in any way. So see the above as a side note. I was actually wondering the same as Mark, why 'Capt. Washington VS. Capt. Sullenberger'?  Embarrassed
Edited:
It looks more like this one features a plot being closer to the movie. Unfortunately, not with a happy outcome.  Undecided http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

Either way, maybe my impression from the trailer is wrong and they really focus on the ups and downs of an investigation process, rendering it more of a thriller, dialogue based.

By the way, funny how they've mixed some airplane character traits to avoid being to close to any rw counterpart. Picking an out of production model for their rough representation surely avoided discussions. Seems like legal stuff owns the modern industry and leaves them in fear. So if the film has a political message, it starts right there.  Cheesy

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Smiley i guess everybody here understand that they have decided to go inverted because of commercial aviation NON-related guys thinks that this is boring in general. Landing on differential thrust and so on cant impress em at all, so Hollywood folks put that trick into movie Smiley

For real hardcore stuff go to air disaster investigation Smiley
btw FedEx 705 - thats a hardass flying. but you cant do action movie on that. its too fast and static. pilot doing aerobatics in dc-10(thats fast), and guys constantly fighting (thats static) Smiley

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I think its more to do with blame CoolP, if you remember with Capt. Sullenberger he had to/was forced to accept the blame for the Airbus sinking so quickly s under the pressure he forgot to press a single switch before leaving the cockpit which caused the aircraft to sink a lot quicker and putting the passengers at risk. Any pilot that has alcohol in their blood after a crash will get the blame no matter how much they had the night before imo.

Recent changes to European law is there to put more blame on the flight crew if something goes wrong as making the pilots working day and working week longer is meant to be safer and fight pilot fatigue better but i dont know how that is meant to work.

edit, here is that episode Fedex 705

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaOn1u8wIT0

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I think if Hollywood would make a movie on the FedEx stunts, it would include two transformers fighting in the cargo bay over an atomic bomb (or worse, Alien tech), with a half naked woman screaming in fear and a heroic pilot rescuing the situation, gaining the love of the woman and being called 'Captain America' for the rest of his life.

I hope I haven't violated any copyrights now with telling the complete plot of a future Michael Bay movie.  Grin

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Half naked women and robots.. i will be watching that one for sure  Cheesy

&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Haha, me too.  Grin

More seriously, there would be some heroic thing to be found on the unfortunate Alaska 261 flight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261 The decision to stay away from populated areas and clear the situation 'over the bay' although ATC already cleared them to approach the airport.

While we don't know what lead the Captain to that decision, we do know that the plane 'only' hit the water instead of a house, a shopping centre or a gas station. So, whatever he did, it was, under the circumstances, the right thing. So that decision most likely saved lives while the ones on board may already have been doomed.

Why isn't there a nice movie with decent actors showing those events, this tension and, in a way, logic while being in a desperate situation? You don't even need super effects to make the viewers go  Shocked, it all comes from the plot itself. I would love to follow Mr. Washington (who is a great actor) through those paces.

Ok, later, I would watch the movie with the robots too.  Cheesy But that one may be a popcorn movie only.

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 1:13am
Print Post  
I didn't mean for the topic name to be anything else then a joke.  Wink

When I say the MD-80 in a dive I immedeatly thought of Alaska 261. Very sad story.

Chesley Sullenberger and F/O Skiles accomplished what we know to be a one of a kind emergency landing.

For the movie, airliners don't fly very well inverted...  Tongue

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Time and time again, we see pilots (military and civilian) making a decision to take the plane away from populated areas. If they can do it, they do. But sometimes the plane is so badly damaged, or the problem so severe that they can't, and people on the ground die (for example, El Al Flight 1862).

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Quote:
For the movie, airliners don't fly very well inverted...  

I've just tried, in FSX.  Cheesy

Oh yeah, the El Al 747. Now those guys didn't have many options. Soon after takeoff the trouble started and 'we've lost an engine' received a very different meaning. And once again small parts rendered their fate, although the number count would have been way higher if it had been a passenger plane.

Now regarding the film Evan posted about. I think my only concern is that, for me, dreaded Hollywood scheme to over-stress hero stories and also render them to be ones where the hero lives on. In history, this rarely takes place. Take that Alaska flight. The Captain is dead but made sure that nobody on the ground got hurt.

Who knows, maybe Denzel Washington also fights two robots in the cargo hold and the stewardesses later undress.  Roll Eyes  Grin Lets watch more realistic films like.. James Bond.  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top