Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 What do you think? (Read 10184 times)
R. Aranda S.

What do you think?
Oct 19th, 2012 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Hey guys, I've got a Macbook Pro since like a year and made a partition for Windows since then. I like the versality of having Mac OS and Windows for flying also.

I feel like I wanna update a couple of things, a new graphics card like the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M @ 1 GB and boost the RAM to 8 GB.

Now my current card is NVIDA GeForce 320M @ 256 MB and 4 GB RAM with a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2,4 GHz.

Somebody has told me that only increasing the RAM to 8 GB will boost the performance, so what do you think?

Thanks   Cool

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: What do you think?
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Rigo, are you sure that you can update anything on the graphics card? I could be totally wrong, but I think that you are fixed when it comes to the hardware, except for the HDD and the RAM maybe. Laptops with updatable graphics are very rare. I think only some gaming monsters came with that option.

As for performance gains with more RAM. That's, unfortunately, unlikely. It would be the case when your current amount (4gb) leads your system to make excessive use of the page file. That would mean that it uses the HDD instead of the way faster RAM. For FSX alone running, those 4gb of yours may well be ok. Just other programs in the background then add up. Does your current system get slow after a while? This would point at that paging slowing you down.

So I wouldn't expect a fps gain, but a delayed fps loss then. Are you running Windows 64bits or 32 by the way? Asking because anything above 4gb of RAM requires the 64bits variant.

Quote:
NVIDA GeForce 320M @ 256 MB

That is.. small.  Undecided How does FSX run so far? I could imagine that the planes with the hires textures cause a severe hit. Together with the small-ish CPU, your system may see a big task in FSX itself. Am I correct?

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Hi CoolP, I'm running W7 x86.
Yesterday I stopped by an iStore and they told me it's not possible to TurboBoost the procesor to any higher than 2,4 GHz... however, they told me I can actually update my graphics card and add other 4 GB RAM.

How does FSX run so far in my laptop?
Though I can't really complain I must say I avoid airports such as NRT, LHR, CDG, SYD, etc... with addons like the CS 767 I have a hard time in high-density airports as you might imagine. And that's without talking about weather hit.

I am looking for a smooth flight with very high graphics settings, but it wouldn't be too smart to buy and install a new graphics card and additional 4 GB RAM without being completely sure it will kick up the performance. Still doing some homework on different cards...

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 12:45am
Print Post  
FSX can work on laptops, but it performs much better on a higher end and newer machine. If you are running addons (scenery, airports, weather, terrain, aircraft). The actual game isn't as demanding as if you have all sorts of 3rd party addons.

You should really look into getting a desktop, since it is much easier, faster and cheaper to upgrade.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Lou once mentioned his laptop which seems to be good for FSX. But it didn't sound like being a normal 'portable' thingy like a slim Macbook would be.

Now I'm really no expert on Macbooks, but I still doubt that you can upgrade the graphics hardware on them. RAM and HDD, yes. When looking at the description here, this hasn't changed and, as said, upgradable graphics on mobile devices are a very niche market. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro Alienware featured them for example.

Even if you could upgrade (on the smaller/older Macs), those chips aren't what you are looking for when it comes to some gaming.

Either way, I'd say the main limit in FSX terms is the CPU of yours. The small graphics then add to it. I have a small laptop with FSX Vanilla, REX with lo-res textures and few planes installed, no scenery. For 'just flying', this works. But for everything else, I would have to get a bigger machine (which would contradict the actual use of that device for me) or just use my home PC with all the bells and whistles.

So if you wanna stay mobile and get better FSX results, maybe trade in for a (way) bigger laptop or stay away from the mobile path and build a mid-range home PC. That would be cheaper I guess and also more flexible when you want to upgrade. As Evan says too.

I saw some folks running Macbooks for FSX (from reading their signature). But, if I remember correctly, those were bigger models than yours is. Means some Core i7 Sandy Bridge and that bigger graphics card like GeForce GT 650M. From a desktop perspective, this still isn't stellar (as the freqs are pretty low on the CPU and the GPU's name looks more than it is), but it should work for FSX and some addons.

Won't be that cheap though.  Undecided

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
CoolP is correct. My laptop is a truck!  Embarrassed
I have a 17.3" ASUS

It has a Intel 3rd generation i7 2.3GHz with auto boost to 3.3GHz
The video card is a Nvidia GTX 660M built into the motherboard.

I got this because I do presentations on cruise ships and needed the speed for FSX.
Its very heavy, but it runs FSX fine and since the fans are located in the rear of the unit instead of the bottom it never gets hot.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
There you go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2012 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I think if I were moving to a laptop,which I will probably have to some day,I would get something like Lou's rig,even though it is bigger and heavier than the average laptop.I would not want to sacrifice performance.
Ron

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 1:23am
Print Post  
I'm planning to buy another laptop sometime in the (not too distant) future, but I guarantee you that I will make darn sure that is capable of running FSX well on it. I couldn't have it any other way. Cheesy

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Hi guys, thank you for replying.

Checking out that computer of Lou on ASUS website I'm amazed on how well equipped for gaming it is. But at its dimensions and weight I think I will actually need to take CoolP word and rent a truck! 17.3" is monstrous for a laptop, but I have a doubt... Lou said it runs FSX "fine", but at those specs I think he was maybe being modest with that word? I have acceptable performance with the Macbook but this ASUS is superior in the gaming dept for I would imagine he can run FSX smooth near max settings with aircraft addons?
Oh by the way, I do not have any scenery nor weather addons, just planes.

Other thing would be the price and availablity for the ASUS here in Mexico, checking out the stores they show a very poor selection of ASUS laptops, in fact, I do not recall the last time I saw an ASUS selection here and I'm going very often to stores. And availables online are by far not like the one we're talking about: http://mx.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#specifications

Maybe captain Lou could PM me the price or post it here if there's no deal.
My dad often flies to the US for business so he could buy it and bring it to me or maybe I could order it and get it shipped to me... anyways only ideas for now until I'm completely sure I will have a dream FSX, as the great Mark from the very far away land of Oz said, I would need to be darn sure I will have a super FSX, or couldn't have it any other way.

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Maybe you are lucky and they offer some 15" gaming rig too. Keeps the system more in the portable range. Well, I just saw that they all come in at some 4kg, which is a lot if you are mobile.  Undecided It doesn't mean much though when you just take it with you occasionally, find the next power outlet and play.

For FSX, just make sure you get a nice CPU. The bigger, the better so to speak. Means do NOT buy anything with Intel® Core™ i3 330M/350M/370M for example. In a CPU dependent game like FSX, that's the wrong choice. Even the (mobile 'M') i5 models may not be that good as they are all dual cores. Find a list of mobile quad cores 'QM' here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_i7_List#.22Ivy_Bridge_.28Quad-Core.29.22_.2822...

It's not that the quad core is the superior choice by design, but the setup with a higher clock (+turbo) freq, larger cache and other features render it the strongest mobile CPU. And a strong CPU, that's what you need for FSX.  Smiley

I'm just wondering what brands offer typical mobile gaming gear. I think the Asus and Alienware stuff is well known.
Asus ROG http://rog.asus.com/
Alienware http://www.alienware.com/

Other manufacturers may have decent models too. Some more normal models may come from Gigabyte or Lenovo for example. It's just that these two brands seem to have specialized on some things. With a mixed output I might add since the strange lights and 'gaming optics' are far away from my liking at times.

I think they e.g. took care of a system running at max for an extended time, so, as Lou said, the cooling setup can handle some hours of gaming while other laptops may end up with loud fans or some throttling setting in. Or just get very hot where your hands are touching the case.

R. Aranda S. wrote on Oct 21st, 2012 at 7:26am:
Other thing would be the price and availablity for the ASUS here in Mexico, checking out the stores they show a very poor selection of ASUS laptops

If you went in such a shop and told them the product number from the Asus website, they should be able to get you that model I think.

Maybe you can ask them how they would handle (warranty and) things if you had bought the system in the US and approached the Mexican shop. This depends on the company, some may or may not make a difference then.

Where to buy? http://rog.asus.com/where-to-buy/; Dell (which owns Alienware) has a dedicated Mexican presence.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 3:31pm
Print Post  

When I said it runs FSX just fine, I mean just that. Nothing really runs FSX better than just fine.  Shocked

I run either CS's 727, 757 or 737 with ORBX scenery and get high 20's fps with the sliders to the right.

I looked at several power laptops and picked the ASUS for price and performance over Alienware.

Best Buy sells the ASUS 17.3 for around $1,100. Every once in a while they have a sale or I get a coupon for dollars off.

I like the lighted key board and the display since it allows me to look at the laptop display and fly without having to look at the projected image. That way I face the audience while I fly. I have a 1080P projector which does a good job on the CS planes and scenery. The main difference I notice with the laptop vs. my home computer is the time it takes to load FSX and aircraft since I use a SSD in my home confuser.

ASUS does make a smaller display which is just as fast and weighs less. I always run the computer plugged in since I don't think the battery would make it through a talk.

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Oct 21st, 2012 at 3:31pm:
The main difference I notice with the laptop vs. my home computer is the time it takes to load FSX and aircraft since I use a SSD in my home confuser.

I caught that one  Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Guys, look at this Alienware M14x, the one in the middle. I can't think of anything that wouldn't let me run FSX beautifully in this one. Any thoughts on it? It seems it pretty much has everything the sim needs?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m14x-r2/pd.aspx

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
R. Aranda S. wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 4:11pm:
Guys, look at this Alienware M14x, the one in the middle. I can't think of anything that wouldn't let me run FSX beautifully in this one. Any thoughts on it? It seems it pretty much has everything the sim needs?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m14x-r2/pd.aspx

It looks like it would be a very good Laptop for FSX to me. Smiley

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top