Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 MS Flight is dead!!! (Read 11419 times)
Markoz
CS Team

MS Flight is dead!!!
Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
I just read about this on Facebook!!!

Now all MS need to do is to do is make Flight Simulator 11, and I'll be the happiest man on Earth! Grin Grin Grin

Quote from Just Flight:
Quote:
Unconfirmed statement from MS last night concerning the end of Flight:
"Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on "Microsoft Flight" and "Project Columbia," but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For "Microsoft Flight," we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/."

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

oskiatl

Re: MS Flight is dead!!!
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
As if this wasn't expected. LOL

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I tried MS Flight a few times...nothing there for me!  Sad

Mark, you are spot on - FS-11 would be great.  Cool

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Fs11 but with open SDK. So Thirdparty addon developers could work on that platform! But i believe we will need clusters of 4-8 computers to make it work  Wink

The other way: to release open SDK for MS Flight Smiley And rename it to FSXI

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
So... would it be too rude to say, "I told you so!" to Microsoft?  Roll Eyes

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:25am
Print Post  
boeing247 wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:58pm:
So... would it be too rude to say, "I told you so!" to Microsoft?  Roll Eyes

I think all the dedicated Flight Simmers are saying this to MS! Many of us told them that it wasn't what we were hoping for (I know I did when I tested it prior to release), but they still went ahead with it. I'm not surprised it failed. It is installed on my computer, but it is months since I started it and "played" with it. Every time I looked at it I just went, moved my mouse pointer to some other game or FSX. Now I think it is time to uninstall it completely.

windplayer wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:15pm:
Fs11 but with open SDK. So Thirdparty addon developers could work on that platform! But i believe we will need clusters of 4-8 computers to make it work  Wink
Microsoft got it right with Flight when it comes to hardware (computer) requirements, so IF they have learned anything, hopefully it is that you don't make it so that years later, it is still hard to run everything maxed out unless you have a Super Computer! Grin

I would like an FS11, but have it return to how it is done for FSX/FS9. A free SDK with anyone being able to create an addon for it. But will MS listen to me or you? I doubt it. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Weston

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:40am
Print Post  
It felt more like a play station game never liked it

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Never tried it.

I find it hard to forgive MS after what they did to Aces. Lots of families all of a sudden out of work. For what?

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:31am
Print Post  
I believe that Lockheed Martin got em all under PREPAR3D project Wink Or sort of.

IP Logged

gandy

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Here is something for you... can anyone name a product from Microsoft that has been finished at point of release.

Microsoft has never finished any of its flight sim products.. thats for sure

&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:52pm:

That could depend on what you call finished versus what MS calls finished. FS9 is probably the one that I would consider "finished". To improve on FS9 required dumping everything and doing a whole new Flight Sim. FSX was not it because it has backward compatibility with FS9. IF they were to do another Flight Sim, they must leave previous versions behind and do it without any compatibility with FSX\FS9 products. Seeing as Lockheed Martin now basically own FSX, this could make it easier to do.

In the mean time. We just wait and see.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Also, MS have'nt finished any of their Operating System projects.
Ron

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
gandy wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:52pm:
Here is something for you... can anyone name a product from Microsoft that has been finished at point of release.

I remember Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.1
I had i486 dx4-100\4mb\855mb HDD\ and trident 9440 with 2mb video ram. It ran pretty smooth. FPS dropped only in Chicago at Very Dense scenery complexity. FS95 -98 was pretty stable too.

IP Logged

Pvjinflight

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Very expected, anyone who knows enough about FS and gaming community generally knows that there isn't enough market for civilian flight simulator outside FS community. Most gamers just like war flying games, they maybe plaid Flight for hour or two and uninstalled it and that's it. I guess marketing people at MS haven't been in contact with gaming enough to know this.

When people were talking about Flight becoming new FSX all the time I could read between lines that Flight wasn't going to include whole world or advanced features of FSX, and I was right. Then when whole concept of Flight became fully clear, marketing it to general gaming community, I knew that it wasn't going to sell too well either.

IP Logged

JetRanger

JETRANGER

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
According to an article on the Flight Sim.Com web site and an interview with some guy named Josh from Aces Studio's , the entire team of Aces has been let go, laid off, and Microsoft is NOT intersteaded in pursuing anything Flight Simulator related now, or in the distant future. If they choose to do so, it will be in the very Distant future, and most likely we'll all be dead, blind, in a wheel chair and or simply not breathing any longer . So, it looks like as I stated last summer in a somewhat long post on the SURCLARO.COM flight sim forum, that unless microsoft gets its act together and quits all the nonsense, their going to run people off from this flight sim community in record numbers , I know I left for 4 years, after having FS2002 Pro edition all Amped out, then later FSX came out, but, you had to have some ridlicious Super Computer to run the darn thing to get just decent graphics, and drop a lotta money back then in 2006 to get really good graphics, people weren't ready for that and computer parts were still fairly expensive , compared to now tho.  I know the Height of Flight simming reached its peak between 2002 and 2006 basically, after FSX was released , lotta simmers, Aircraft and scenery developers gave up and quit, because of the NEW hard to understand file format, that being DDS Files, which meant developers & designers dropping more money to make the stuff and tons of time trying to figure out how to make it work, so they could give us FREEWARE to use in the sim, and it made a lot madd. can't say I blame them either, thats why I left for 4 years.  Also, I think there needs to be some sort of Standard for designing and making Aircraft & scenery , a standard format as well as a standard way to upload files, right now theres too many loosely made mistaken aircraft & scenery files Floating around out there, that simply have a lotta mistakes in them from Newbies or those who just want to ASSUME its ready for uploading for FSX or 2004, tho they never checked or TESTED it out before uploading to a flight sim web site, the veteran and seasoned developers and designers out there know better, but some of these newbies on the block are just NOT checking or TESTING things out before uploading, yet some of what I've seen have been TITLED as FSX, and are NOT even close to being FSX material or Qualified to be true FSX aircraft or scenery.  I've got a hold of quite a few aircraft lately, that appear to be FS 98  or FS2000 that somebody has ported over kinda sorta, and never changed the gauges either in the panel folder so it'd work properly !  What do you think that does to somebody or new comers who really wan to get into flight simming, when they spend hours of frustration on forum boards asking for help, instead of flying ??? very frustrating, when all they had to do was TEST & Check before uploading the files to a site, which clearly isn't being done in some cases ! Don't Assume or guess - know ! Would ya want an Airline pilot to just assume there was enough Fuel to make it from Australia to Seattle without checking or looking ?? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes anyway, I said back in March or April that FLIGHT would be dead by August or September, and , we see what happened !!! It died a firey death of a fireball, down in flames, and exploded, all over the Taxi Way , don't bother to call Rescue tho, nobody really cares !!! Shocked Shocked Grin Grin

YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top