Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Online flying??? (Read 6492 times)
R. Aranda S.

Online flying???
Jul 23rd, 2012 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Hey friends, I know this has nothing to do with CS but I hope this is allowed.

I have a doubt regarding online flying at VATSIM, I'm sick of default traffic, and World-of-AI traffic... and FSX Multiplayer sessions sometimes are a joke.
Do you fly online VATSIM?

English is not my primary language and sometimes I have a hard time understanding it, altough I think I'm acceptable writing it so I could use try *real* ATC.

Also, if you do this, you use FSINN, Squawkbox or Xsquawkbox?

I already have the account but I thought I could use your opinion before downloading anything.

Thanks

Rigo

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

fs_addict

Re:  Online flying???
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I use squawkbox, and I think Xsquawkbox is just squawkbox for X-Plane. I think listening to the ATC conversations might help your english and there is an option to communicate with ATC through text.

&&Win7 Home SP1|Nvidia GT 220 1GB Memory|8GB RAM|550GB HDD 500GB External HDD|Intel Quad Core CPU @ 2.50 GHz

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
DUDE!!!!
I just logged 4+ more hours in vatsim (3hrs flight time). English not my primary language too!

I remember my first KPDX CYYZ in vatsim last feb. I was horrified Shocked SHOCKED, i was so afraid to speak to ATC, so i typed until i got to holding point. I got that no way to type, i got to take-off and speak and so on Smiley Since then i always fly online. Except training and exercises.

Just did VHHH - WKMM. Dont fly to Hong-Kong now, there was wind 44 kts gust 66. Even hard to taxi, i was happy to move my and 155 + crew butts outa there Smiley Its rainy season.

I'll write some advises regarding CS aircrafts, and general advises for starting in vatsim tommorrow. i got to sleep  Smiley

You on right way to have fun!

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 2:17am
Print Post  
When I signed up for Vatsim (Oceana), it was suggested to go and listen in on what they do until I felt confident to try flying on it. So I did. I found it very interesting, but never got past the listening in (observing) stage. So I have never done a flight on Vatsim. Sad

If I remember correctly, it was also recommended to start off in small aircraft like the C172 until you got a better understanding of it all.

Those of you that know my situation, will understand (hopefully) why I never progressed beyond the observation stage. <sigh> Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Smiley Well, Mark, who knows..maybe one day you'll fly online too Wink

Actually i learned that there is a many ways to have a good time in sim. Online flying only one of em.

CloudSurfer, vatsim is a friendly environment aimed to expand your experience. Its not aimed to create any kind of problems or pressure to pilots. So its easy to join, you'll learn all fast Wink Knowledge of FSX default ATC enough to start.

Squawkbox3 is the simplest client. It shows traffic crappy, but works good and not affecting FPS. Crappy traffic not a big deal, you'll see it only in airports. Inflight traffic showed good.
The only problem i have with SB3 is that sometimes it shows error message (error in MS runtime of something), but i just click "SKIP" option, and it continues to work just fine. I use it.

To see network activity You'll need free client like VATSpy. It shows Flights, online ATC all over the virtual world. Thats a tool to choose where to fly today Wink

Register in VATSIM and choose region you want to assigned to. No limitations, you can fly anywhere. I assigned to YBBN (Brisbane), but i fly in Europe mostly.

Every vatsim region have dedicated website with all info. They also contain tutorials for start. Check this http://www.vatpac.org/ under PILOTS\PILOTS RATINGS and TUTORIALS. There is a complete script of the radio comunications between pilot and ATC. Entire flight shown.

ATC is interested in you. No flights, no need for ATC. So when you calling - "Whiskey 807 shutdown at gate 19, Thanks for the service." - they'll say "Thanks for flying with us whiskey 807, Good night"

Nobody expecting you to do all right from the beginning, so file the flightplan and add a note: "First flight online, Could you speak a bit slower". ATC will read this and help you all the way. Dont forget to say "Thanks for ATC" before you log off after flight Wink

If you flying 707 or 727 like i do, you need to let ATC know what way you want to fly. Say i fly 727 with radio nav only. So i file a fligtplan, and adding a note: NO RNAV, VOR NAV ONLY. ATC will see it and act accordingly. Also while calling to clearance delivery, say-
"whiskey 807 requesting IFR to Vienn Int as filed, please note unable to fly RNAV route, VOR navigation only"
ATC will call - "whiskey 807 can you accept HARDY FIVE MIKE departure(EGKK)"
You will say - "Yes sir, HARDY FIVE MIKE will be good, whiskey 807"
or - "Sorry sir, cant read maps yet, can you provide radar vectoring?"
ATC will say - "No problem whiskey 807" Grin

Computerized jets not a big deal but you gotta program FMC properly.

If you have questions or you unsure, - ask! Like that:

ATC - Whiskey 807 direct to holding point TIMBA, expect holding for 10 minutes
You - "Sorry sir, is TIMBA located  7 miles DME of Mayfield VOR radial 130 is that right "
ATC - "Yes, thats right"
you - unable direct TIMBA no RNAV, can you give me vectors
ATC - whiskey 807 fly heading 250 until TIMBA holding speed 220
You - Heading 250 till TIMBA holding speed 220

Dont be afraid to ask, they will help. Thats a part of fun too Smiley If you unable to do something - say it. ATC will find another way.

Since clearance comes in CRAFT format Clearance, Route(SID), Altitude,departure Frequncy, Transponder. Engligh second language, so if you know what ATC will say - its easier to understand. Again, ask if didnt understand. Like that - "delivery, say again route and squawk for whiskey 807 please"

So basically you doing this actions:
1 start VATSpy and see where the active ATC is.
2 prepare flightplan. I use default FSX flightplanner. write down all VOR names.
3 check the airports charts at vatsim regional sites
4 start FSX, put the plane to gate or ramp but NEVER to runway
5 start squawkbox, connect to network
6 start battery\APU, listen to ATIS note winds and departure runway. Check map for available SIDs. That way you will know what to expect from ATC = easier to understand.
7 call delivery saying -"American 789 radio check"
8 if ATC said American 789 read you five by five, of loud and clear, call for clearance.
9 prepare aircraft, load passengers and so on...

IP Logged

R. Aranda S.

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Now no doubt it will be a fun experience!, thank you all very much for the guide and tips.

I like a lot the 767 so that will be my type but I think I'll take Mark's advice and first fly something not so complex like any default.
By the way I'm not sure what is keeping our friend Mark out of online routes, but as windplayer says, maybe one day he'll be there  Wink

About ATC, yes, I've been listening to it for a while and practice talking to default ATC what as you said it's just enough for beginning. On default ATC, I even turned off the text and the pilot voice (me) so it be like realistic and I have the clearance repeated at least twice  Grin
I didn't know about the CRAFT! many thanks I'll know what to expect.

By the way, do you guys do paperwork? I mean with this write down airline flight number, weights, routes with waypoints, etc?

R. Aranda S.

C152/C172/C310/B762

IP Logged

windplayer

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Yep! I do paperwork. I always got flightplan printed, i got takeoff\landing card printed and load manifest. + i got airport charts printed. Airport charts may contain 100+ pages BUT! You can read METARs and ATIS in VATSpy, so you dont need to print all pages of airport charts. Only required. Say you know that London gatwick airport currently using runway 26L for arrivals - just print Airport scheme, general section, and STARs and Approach plates for rw 26L Smiley

Load manifest required for monitoring fuel usage inflight, but in 767 you can do it via FMC.

You can start IFR in 767 if you want. Not really a big difference in IFR flights. VFR flights harder, coz you have to watch on airspace maps all the time Smiley

IP Logged

Creole

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I have just started flying online in the MSFS server and for the most part it is pretty cordial but online flyers are sparse. Most the time when I'm not flying GA I find myself calling out my movements on the multicom channel, there is spotty atc, and its a little odd saying:
"Kennedy traffic inbound final 13L" and its EMPTY.
===
One thing i have noticed is its MINDBENDING trying to manipulate the 727,707 radios while trying to singlehand a three man plane.

Has someone come up with a remedy or does VATSIM supply a different radio interface if you fly with them?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Creole wrote on Aug 15th, 2012 at 4:06pm:
I have just started flying online in the MSFS server and for the most part it is pretty cordial but online flyers are sparse. Most the time when I'm not flying GA I find myself calling out my movements on the multicom channel, there is spotty atc, and its a little odd saying:
"Kennedy traffic inbound final 13L" and its EMPTY.
===
One thing i have noticed is its MINDBENDING trying to manipulate the 727,707 radios while trying to singlehand a three man plane.

Has someone come up with a remedy or does VATSIM supply a different radio interface if you fly with them?

I think that Multi Crew Experience (http://www.multicrewxp.com/) can help handle the load, so it could be worth thinking about.
CoolP says it's great, so I believe him. I am going to buy it eventually, but first I need to buy myself a new set of headphones.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, MCE is a good idea, not only for the radio stuff.  Smiley It rocks to be able to command that FO when you are hand flying the bird.

When using FSInn as your online client, you have a small radio popup within the FSCopilot menus. It looks like this.

You key in the numbers or channels, as you like. Some folks also use a small usb hardware for just the radios, to be receive some nice and easy switches in reach, avoiding mouse actions in the VC. Those also work offline of course and may feature some more useful features.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top