Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Considering Purchasing This Product (Read 4958 times)
oneil875

Considering Purchasing This Product
Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Guys,

A genuine enquiry about if I might like this 737-200 product.

I have in the past bought the C130,757 and 767 from captain sim and loved them.  I also bought the 727 and didnt like the flight model very much.
Is the 737 flight model accurate like advertised on the product info page of the website or do we need to test and adjust ourselves?

I am asking this question for advice, I have read the flight dynamics post in this forum and am concerned as I dont have too much time for messing with config files these days.

Anyway the VC looks great andlike I said, I'm on the fence right now.....

Cheers,

Dan.

IP Logged

Jason9001

Re: Considering Purchasing This Product
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I can only tell that it's a good and accurate 737 model that have been made. The flight dynamics are good aswell can I tell from my view, but don't take my advise directly wait also on the others users replies Wink

Dear regards Jasin

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Regarding the FDE, this 737 flies manually like a dream. It "feels" heavy like an airliner should, not a plastic toy like so many FS (or any sim) aircraft often do.
Some minor issues in my opinion, it is overpowered, and loses too much speed on idle descent but these can be fixed. Myself and a few others are working on that, and you won't have to edit anything just try my FDE adjustments or someone else's. Mine will be available before this weekend.

And hopefully CS will fine tune those areas, making our tweaks obsolete in the future. I hope they haven't already forgotten the 737 just because they're busy with other projects.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

oneil875

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Ok so I went ahead and purchased the 737-200, I knew I couldn't resist for too long!
Thanks to the two people who actually replied, I appreciate your input/ advice.
I have used the user modified FDE and think that it flies great, but I have a question......
I should perhaps open a new thread for this one but....

I can not work out having read the manuals as best I can, how to use the pitch function of the autopilot.
I am mainly talking about the pitch reference knob on the glaresheild.
The only way I seem to be able to use any pitch mode is CWS.
Is this the case?  If so then what does the knob do?

Many thanks in advance,

Dan.

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
The pitch command knob, alt hold, and Mode select on the flight director are only for reference (the VOR LOC needs to be fixed). They drive the flight director cues on the ADI.

Pitch is controlled via CWS or manually. I seem to be the only one having problems with CWS pitch, it's a nightmare for me, but I think since I'm apparently the only one, it might just be a problem with my yoke or something.

Bud Estrada i5 2500k @ 4.4 - p67 extreme4 - GTX580 - 16gb RAM - Windows 7/64 - FSX SP2

IP Logged

oneil875

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Well I'm using the TM Warthog and I do have to be very careful in the CWS mode as it tends to jump a fair bit.  I need to keep a very close eye on the VSI to ensure I don't suddenly perform a 2G climb!
Is that the problem you are experiencing?
In the roll mode it tends to jump between roll angles too.

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:23am
Print Post  
oneil875 wrote on Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:46pm:
Well I'm using the TM Warthog and I do have to be very careful in the CWS mode as it tends to jump a fair bit.  I need to keep a very close eye on the VSI to ensure I don't suddenly perform a 2G climb!
Is that the problem you are experiencing?
In the roll mode it tends to jump between roll angles too.

My problem with the pitch mode is that 90% of the time when I apply pressure on the yoke the AP fights against me; rather than change pitch the autopilot tries to maintain it's current pitch.

I think others have noted the roll mode moving as you described, it's not smooth like flying with the AP off.

Is the TM stick excessively responsive with other planes? You could either reduce sensitivity in FS settings or in the aircraft.cfg reduce elevator_effectiveness = 1.0 to 0.5 or whatever works best.

IP Logged

oneil875

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 6:49am
Print Post  
The stick is fine with other planes and it's also fine in the 737 when autopilot is off, no problems with that.
My issue is that like you said, the autopilot tries to maintain level flight until I reach a certain amount of back pressure.  When I reach that pressure I need to immediately release some or the VSI will shoot to 1500fpm.  So I find myself myself making lots of minor adjustments and corrections.  I've been in this game a while so I know it's not technique, that is, normally.....
Under the roll mode I do find myself fighting the autopilot a fair bit too.

IP Logged

PhillRoath

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
oneil875 wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 6:49am:
The stick is fine with other planes and it's also fine in the 737 when autopilot is off, no problems with that.
My issue is that like you said, the autopilot tries to maintain level flight until I reach a certain amount of back pressure.  When I reach that pressure I need to immediately release some or the VSI will shoot to 1500fpm.  So I find myself myself making lots of minor adjustments and corrections.  I've been in this game a while so I know it's not technique, that is, normally.....
Under the roll mode I do find myself fighting the autopilot a fair bit too.

Considerating pitch mode:  On the right side of the autopilot is a knob with three settings, TURB, OFF, and ALT HOLD.  For the CWS to work properly, this knob needs to be OFF and not in ALT HOLD.

You probably already know this, but just thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration. 

Phill

P.S. - I believe the TURB setting is INOP in this release.

IP Logged

oneil875

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks Phill but I was using CWS with the selector in the middle position(off).
Another thing is that when in CWS and not alt hold, when power is reduced or applied then the VSI will gradually show a fall or rise.
I need to check the manuals to see if this is right or not.
I realise that if power is reduced then speed will decrease also.
Which can only mean that the pitch is the reference so with slower speed and the same pitch then a descent will occur?
Thoughts?

Edit:
The CWS pitch mode is "Pitch Attitude Hold", this explains what I am seeing.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 3:55am
Print Post  
I have an MS FF Sidewinder 2 Joystick and although the CWS pitch fights me, I have don't have much trouble changing the pitch. The best way around it fighting me is to take my hand away from the sensor that makes the force feedback active, and the pitch changes by smaller amounts.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

PhillRoath

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
oneil875 wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:54pm:
Another thing is that when in CWS and not alt hold, when power is reduced or applied then the VSI will gradually show a fall or rise.
I need to check the manuals to see if this is right or not.
I realise that if power is reduced then speed will decrease also.
Which can only mean that the pitch is the reference so with slower speed and the same pitch then a descent will occur?

Yeah, you describe it correctly.  I missed earlier if you have force feedback hardware.  I have the Logictech Extreme Pro joy stick and it seems to work perfectly for me.

On takeoff I rotate to plus 10 degrees at Vr and after gear up I flip the elevator control lever on the Sperry 77 then select the pitch angle I want.  It just feels natural to me and I'm able to put the nose right where I want and it stays there.

Hope you can get some resolution because this aircraft is a joy for me to fly and hope you can get the same.

Phill

IP Logged

bud7h7

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
I use the CH yoke, no FF. I usually have to push/pull the yoke several times before it will stop fighting me. And I don't mean a little resistance, I'm talking about full resistance, similar to if it was in Atl hold mode. I got sick of dealing with it so now if I want to adjust the pitch I just disengage pitch mode then engage it again when pitch is set.  Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top