Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 EFB: Adding your own Charts Guide! (Read 28318 times)
LukeP

EFB: Adding your own Charts Guide!
Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
So after doing some testing I almost forgot about the EFB. I mainly fly out of EGLL (London Heathrow) so this is where I'd get my charts from - http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcat...

You'll want -
1. Photoshop  is what I used
2. High quality charts preferably so when zooming in no blurring occurs

Now, when you go to download these charts of  NATS you'll notice it's an PDF file, which the EFB does NOT support. This is where you'll need Photoshop (probably more ways to do it but this is mine). Download the chart > Right Click > Open With > Photoshop. Now select OK. You may find the background of the Chart is transparent, not to fear! Now all you need to do is save it as a GIF, I got best results with GIF, plus the ones already in there are that file.

To save do as followed. File > Save as > Select where you want it saved too and select the file as GIF (You can try others out if you really like) > Then a boxed called "Indexed Colour" will come up, leave everything BUT make sure you UNTICK "Transparency" > Then GIF Options will pop up, leave "Row Number" as Normal then it's saved!

Next, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B777-200\EFB and select either folder being SID, STAR ETC. Whatever the Chart is put it in the correct folder (If the Chart is a SID put in SID Folder). Then that should be good! Easy to do after the first one, shouldn't take too long. On the NATS Charts, when zooming in you loose no quality. Not tried ones from FlightAware etc yet.

Tell me how this works for you.

Cheers!

P.S the photo is the OCK STAR for EGLL via North/West zoomed in.

EFB1.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: EFB: Adding your own Charts Guide!
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Luke. I shall try to follow what you did. Not sure if Photoshop 7 is any good for that, but I'll try. I found a great site for Aussie charts, except that I haven't seen an en-route charts there. Yet. Wink

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

AirCanadaGuy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Thank you Luke for this thread, nice website for nav charts too!

IP Logged

nomax1955

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Thank you, Thank you ! I needed this  Cheesy

IP Logged

oskiatl

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I read in another post somewhere in the forum that, someone was able to load the charts in PDF form without photo shop! I never heard of the format you are using or that is being talked about. Could you tell me what program I would need if that is the case to load the charts. I have no experience with photo shop at all, I hope someone can  put out instructions on the procedure.

IP Logged

William_M

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 6:27am
Print Post  
GIF is a pictures format just like JPG or BMP. I haven't tried yet but I'm pretty sure that the EFB will support JPG as well. Anyway, like Luke said, Photoshop is one way to do it but there are easier ones, especially if you're not familiar with Photoshop. Just Google "PDF to GIF" and a bunch of free website that offer conversion will pop up. When you find the one you like the most just go through their process and save the converted images within the appropriate path in FSX.

William M.&&Asus + Intel i5 (2nd gen) OC at 4500 Ghz - 8GB Patriot RAM @ 2133 Mhz - AMD Radeon 6990 with Eyefinity (3 20" Monitors) res. 3840x1024 - 3 320 Gb. WD Velociraptor 10000k - Liquid Cooled inside Cooler Master Casing.

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Is there a way of using Navigraph charts in the EFB. Smiley Smiley
Ron

IP Logged

nomax1955

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Followed the instructions,
But it won't save to the folder.

IP Logged

hfcj

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Thank you, I'll look into getting these charts.

hfcj

IP Logged

Lost in Isaan

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
I open pdf in Adobe and 'save as' *.jpg. Limit your file sizes to no greater than 500K if bigger than that then you'll need photoshop to reduce the 'Image Size' to 200 pixels/inch or less.

I have not been able to convert Navigraph charts.

Regards Bruce

This message has been sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Hinze bake bean cans and piano wire!

IP Logged

geolpilot

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 6:35am
Print Post  
rservice wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 8:42am:
Is there a way of using Navigraph charts in the EFB. Smiley Smiley
Ron

Hi Ron,

I have been able to get Navigraph Charts in as follows (but you have to have a good, high resolution monitor, the larger the screen the better).

Open up NDAC, and drag the interface so it has as large a screen area as will fit on your screen.

Select the chart of your choice.

Press the PrtSc (Print Screen) button to copy the screen to clipboard.

In Paint or your favourite graphics editing program select Paste.

Select only the chart area (in newer versions of Paint select the area, press Crop)

Save the file as a .jpg or .bmp into the relevant EFB directory (I find .bmp to be clearer)

For your own personal use as a Navigraph subscriber, I do not think Navigraph would have a problem with this. But one certainly would not want to share these screen copies with anyone else, as that would be violating their terms.

I have found that the  resulting images have more than enough resolution to be very clear in the EFB, and one can zoom in a few times as well. EG on my 21" I can get around 500 X 800 pixel resolution, quite adequate.

Attached an example zoomed into YMML ARBEY 1 STAR

Robin

EFB_YMMLARBEY1.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Robin.I'll have to try this,maybe when the next revision is released.
Ron

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Great guide!  That will surely work good and I have Photoshop CS6 so I can handle it.
Just to let everyone know, www.FltPlan.com has all American airport charts already in .gif format.  Just register for free and go to "Charts & Maps" at the bottom right hand menu and select which airport you want.

Bob

IP Logged

bubba620

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Thank you,Bob. Fltplan gif's work great without changing anything or using any software.  GrinBrian

IP Logged

signmanbob

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2012 at 4:24am
Print Post  
You're welcome.  Wink  Glad to help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top