Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 PDCS tutorial, sorta (Read 43126 times)
SWA4420

R/W C172 Pilot, Captain,
SWVA NorCal

Re: PDCS tutorial by CoolP
Reply #15 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
There doesn't seem to be a function for calculating takeoff V-speeds and stab trim in the PDCS....

Does one have to use -732 charts for this?  (I do have a set of data charts for the -732ADV).
Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I think the TO mode of the PDCS should drive the EPR and ASI speed bugs when ENGAGE is pressed. That's what manual2 says. Maybe with the speed bugs then showing a certain flap setting speed. Lets assume flaps 5, which should be commonly used. Since the engage feature currently doesn't work, this may lead to a lack of information, right you are. Or we're both missing the mode showing the speeds.  Shocked

The upcoming manual3 may help us as it might include some tables for the takeoff speeds. The 707 worked that way.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Apr 26th, 2012 at 2:32pm:
I've submitted a ticket on the three PDCS issues.
  • missing submodes #4 GS, #5 RNG and #6 FUEL
  • too low CRZ values computed, no manual entry above 0.616 possible
  • ENGAGE key doesn't get lit and doesn't drive the EPR/ASI bugs.

I've received an answer on the above issues.  Smiley

The issues are on the list for the next upgrade, and are forwarded to our development team. We will do our best to address the issue in the next upgrade.

IP Logged

CEO Blink-Virtual

CEO Blink-Virtual

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Any reply to the ticket coolp

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #19 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Only the one from above. I haven't checked the list for the next SP yet. Lets see. There you go.  Smiley

Quote:
Q: PDCS issues
1) The PDCS modes #4 GS, #5 RNG and #6 FUEL can't be accessed.
2) The PDCS computed values for CRZ are too low.
3) The PDCS does not drive the EPR and ASI bugs like stated in the manual2, page 78.
4) No mode entries possible when pressing the keys.
5) wrong EPR CRZ values, too low cruise speed for a 737, it may stall at that speed when flying high.
6) No light (before pressing), no action when ENGAGE is pressed.
7) Modes should be accessible like the other ones, e.g. LOAD (works) on #1.
8) Cruise speeds in ECON for a 737 should aim at some 0.75 to 0.79 I guess.The manual mode should allow for manual speed (Mach) entries higher than 0.616, up to the max possible cruise speed of the 737.
The PDCS should then give the corresponding EPR values.
9) From the manual2, when pressing ENGAGE, the PDCS should:
"5. ENGAGE KEY
PRESS (with a flight mode selected) - • Drives the EPR and/or airspeed bugs to the displayed values
• The key light extinguishes and the engaged mode is displayed on the flight mode annunciator"

A: The issues are on the list for the next upgrade, and are forwarded to our development team. We will do our best to address the issue in the next upgrade.

So I'd say it's processed (therefore closed) and the devs know about it and communicate the issues as seen above. Ticket system works.  Cheesy Lets just wait for the SP.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 2:47am
Print Post  
As a tip on the issue with the wrong cruise values, always make sure to start the PDCS, enter your weights and things and allow the automatic updates on the 'WIND' page (submode), which is the 0 (zero) key on the numpad.

This will give you much better predictions and seems to cure the problem with the way too low cruise EPR values. Still, it plans for some 0.708 cruise which looks too low for the 737 in my eyes. So it's no 100% cure.  Undecided Also, any mod on the FDE isn't calculated, so that PDCS value only reflects the default CS737, not the ones running the (in my eyes) recommended FDE mod.

For proper calcs on the FDE modded planes, stick to the great work of Bud and Paul.

Here's how the pages of that 'WIND' submode should look like. Note the 'YES' on every page, which has to be confirmed by pressing ENT. The unit starts up with NO, so that's why you should check it.

And here's the result, some fitting EPR values for the cruise mode.  Smiley

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I have had success with the PDCS calculating the CRZ speed. Try this and see if it works for you  Smiley

I enter this info before T/O on the TEMP 2-2 page (I don't enter during climb or cruise because FSX will often CTD):
Enter anticipated FL [320] (you can use the V-One OPT Alt & add about 4,000 ft, e.g. 316 + 4 = 320)
Enter SAT °C [-48] (see below for FL & temp values)
Enter ISA °C [0]

When at desired altitude, set selector switch to CRZ, and update WIND to [0].
I've tried different entry sequences into the PDCS and never had the CRZ speed calculate correctly on the ground.

PA      ISA 0°C
410      -56.5
400      -56.5
390      -56.5
380      -56.5
370      -56.5
360      -56.3
350      -54.3
340      -52.4
330      -50.4
320      -48.4
310      -46.4
300      -44.4
290      -42.5
280      -40.5
270      -38.5
260      -36.5
250      -34.5
240      -32.5
230      -30.6

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Paul, I will try it later.

Must say I'm still a bit in the confused state on the PDCS. That's from the modes which work, the ones which don't (no access) and the ones where I think they only partially work or mix up items. Now I haven't had the CTD problems (except for one occasion so far), but I'd say that a 1.1 737 would need a very close look at that gauge. Not to mention the missing ENGAGE feature, which would be extremely neat if available.

Your extra work on the callouts, the FDE (with Bud's work) and the table gauge helped a lot though. It's actually very cool to use it. Would there be a way to receive metric (weight) values in your gauge? Some small xml code change?

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Jun 30th, 2012 at 5:13pm:
Would there be a way to receive metric (weight) values in your gauge? Some small xml code change?

Yes it's possible...but why would you need it? Would you be using it for testing / verification or do you fly using metric units?
(Not really a small change...more of a medium change, i.e. new bitmap images and nessesary logic for proper displaying, etc.)

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Don't worry, Paul. Would just have been a wish since the metric weight is what I mostly use and run in my head, so to speak. But converting isn't a problem at all. I just thought that it might be just some parameter change in the xml code. You know, go to this line, change the ratio, save and you're done.
So, as said, no problem if it stays on imperial units.  Smiley

To be honest, the mixture of metric and imperial units on the 737 is a prominent character trait and I hope it gets streamlined via 1.1. To run the one gauge in imperial and read the other one in metric units surely adds some excitement at times.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #25 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Adding a stupid question of mine. How do you enter a GW of e.g. 116.000lbs on the VREF (button #8) page? I'm always missing a zero.  Undecided
Edited:
Undecided CTD while entering 99999 which seems to be the largest value one can enter.  Cry

I just had to laugh about myself since those 4, 5, and 6 submodes work, but only in flight. That's GS, RNG and FUEL. Well, while some of this may make sense, they don't receive any data from the sensors or other pages. Me says the device could know about the TAS for example and may also be able to tell a few values from the DME updates.

If anyone gets the FUEL page to actually compute values, please let me know.  Cheesy
Edited:
Whoa  Shocked, while playing around with the FUEL mode and hitting RCL, my PC received a BSOD. Yikes! It's been a long time since I saw some bluescreen on that system.  Undecided

So I'll stick with the statement to look very closely on that PDCS for 1.1, which of course includes possible CTD problems.

IP Logged

nocor747

Reply #26 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
thanks CoolIp, good tutorial!

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #27 - Jul 3rd, 2012 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Glad it helped.  Smiley I actually like that feature of the 737 very much.

IP Logged

fsxpaul
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have had success with the PDCS calculating the CRZ speed. Try this and see if it works for you  Smiley

I enter this info before T/O on the TEMP 2-2 page (I don't enter during climb or cruise because FSX will often CTD):
Enter anticipated FL [320] (you can use the V-One OPT Alt & add about 4,000 ft, e.g. 316 + 4 = 320)
Enter SAT °C [-48] (see below for FL & temp values)
Enter ISA °C [0]

When at desired altitude, set selector switch to CRZ, and update WIND to [0].
I've tried different entry sequences into the PDCS and never had the CRZ speed calculate correctly on the ground.

Thought I should give an update:

Before my last flight I entered the airport field temp and ZFW in the load page...no other data was entered...anywhere.
After reaching cruise alt, I turned the control knob to CRZ and then pressed 'RCL'.

The CRZ EPR was properly calculated (.720), apparently any other input has no influence whatsoever  Sad

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #29 - Jul 7th, 2012 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Thanks, Paul. I'm still afraid of the RCL key  Grin, but I will try it I guess.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top