Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 ATC callsign problems (Read 9814 times)
ottoramsaig

An earth bound misfit
I........

Re: ATC callsign problems
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
philwhite100 wrote on Feb 12th, 2012 at 3:28pm:
I get exatly that shown on mine too so something must be really messed up somewhere.

Here is how i got around it, it may work then again maybe not. Windows 7 has FSX permission folders that need to be modified to full control. I am not sure which OP your using but on the search bar type in folders and it should take to the permissions page. WARNING! Doing this will allow you to change the aircraft.cfg. SAVE the original before doing anything.

IP Logged

philwhite100

Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
This gets more confusing all the time. Since i was getting nowhere further i just left things alone and all of a sudden some of the callsigns are working properly with ATC text and voice showing and reading aloud the callsigns.

I am still considering installing a new hard drive in my system and installing windows 7 on it purely for FSX and it's add ons.

Win7 Ultimate 64bit - 16gig of Samsung Green 1600mhz @1866mhz DDR3 - Intel 3570k @ 4.2Ghz - Nvidia GTX770 4GB- FSX with Accelleration pack - REX Essentials with Overdrive - J/F VFR Scenery -  Saitek Pro Yoke and Multi Panel and radio Panel - X-Plane 10 - Prepar3D V2&&.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #17 - Feb 29th, 2012 at 9:06am
Print Post  
ottoramsaig wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 9:24pm:
Here is how i got around it, it may work then again maybe not. Windows 7 has FSX permission folders that need to be modified to full control. I am not sure which OP your using but on the search bar type in folders and it should take to the permissions page. WARNING! Doing this will allow you to change the aircraft.cfg. SAVE the original before doing anything.

I've never had to do that, and I think I would remember having done it. A lot has to do with where on you system FSX is installed.

philwhite100 wrote on Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:54pm:
This gets more confusing all the time. Since i was getting nowhere further i just left things alone and all of a sudden some of the callsigns are working properly with ATC text and voice showing and reading aloud the callsigns.

I am still considering installing a new hard drive in my system and installing windows 7 on it purely for FSX and it's add ons.

When it comes to the installation of FSX when using Vista or Windows 7 (32bit and 64bit):
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X and C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X = BAD
C:\FSX = GOOD
X:\FSX = BEST (X = any drive other than the C: drive)

This has to do with the way that Vista and Win 7 secure the C: drive. Especially Program Files and Program Files (x86).
With Vista and Windows 7, it is recommended that you DO NOT install FSX in its default location because of the restrictions by those Operating Systems.

If you have FSX installed in the default location, I think it would be a smart idea to make FSX always run with administrative rights by Right Mouse Click on fsx.exe (in the FSX root folder) > select properties > Compatibility tab > checkmark Run this program as an administrator (under Privilege Level) > click OK.
Then you need to make sure that you install all your FSX 3rd party addons using Run as administrator (Right Mouse Click on the installer and select Run as administrator from the list).

These things might help you get some things sorted out. I know that it is a real PITA to have to reinstall FSX after having gone through everything to get it where you want it, but the end result would be a lot less headaches. Hopefully the above should make FSX work with less problems.

NOTE: Installing FSX on a drive that is "owned" by you in a previous installation of Vista or Win 7 can end up giving you similar problems (and possibly Win XP, but to a lesser extent). So if, like me, you have other things stored (saved or backed up) on the drive that you install FSX AFTER you have reinstalled the OS, you will have some problems because of the ownership of the drive. I did. I think if I get rid of everything on my J: drive, reformat it and then reinstall FSX, I would fix some minor issues that every now and then rear their ugly little heads in FSX. Somehow retaking ownership of the drive didn't quite fix it. I'm too lazy to do that right now.
And here is me telling you to do just that above Roll Eyes So now you know why I understand how much of a PITA it is!

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top