Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Wireless mouse without software installation? (Read 2848 times)
Ethelene

Wireless mouse without software installation?
Jul 25th, 2011 at 8:27am
Print Post  
I recently bought a wireless mouse for work. Unfortunately it doesn't work. For what I understood it is due to the workstation running over a router and all programs being installed on the server. Tried the mouse on my laptop and it works just fine (without downloading any software). It is a Microsoft Wireless Mouse 2000. Anyone know a mouse that could work in the office too??

Thanks for your help.

wireless card Wireless Headset Cordless Keyboard

IP Logged

Edwin

Re: Wireless mouse without software installation?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Hi, I don't think this is the right forum to ask for general pc support, but i think i know what the problem is.

you are talking about a workstation over a router to a server. This is a so called thin client situation where you run all your programs on a terminal server. A thin client is a very stripped type of pc with only the basics of connecting a monitor/mouse/keyboard and a network cable and with a very basic static operating system. Most thin clients don't even have a harddisk installed.

The thin client is not able to detect new hardware and install it, since there is no driver library on it for optional hardware attached to it. 

Your laptop is a stand alone machine with an operating system on it, probably windows. Windows has a driver library installed where it can pick your mouse driver and install to get it working.

So basically, your mouse will not work in your office. Only the 1 with cords unless your IT-dept found a way to install optional drivers into your thin client to recognize the attached hardware.

Hope this explains it for you.

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I have that same mouse! I don't need any software, just make sure your press the button on the wireless receptor (USB to Computer) and the little one on teh back of teh mouse @ the same time. It's awesome! Make sure to install two batteries, one isn't quite enough.

IP Logged

Edwin

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
due to the fact that it's a microsoft product, it will most likely get a driver from windows updates or the microsoft windows driver library.

As far as I can understand of his explanation is that he is trying to connect his mouse into a Thin Client.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top