Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Landing at Quito (Read 14902 times)
DAL191

Re: Landing at Quito
Reply #15 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Jul 21st, 2011 at 1:42pm:
I must be a Flight Sim addict. Since 1pm on the 15 July 2011 until 11pm today (21 July 2011) I have flown 21 flights for a total of 56.1 hours. These are in real time, no accelerated time used. Of those flights, one was 8.3 hours, 2 were 4.7 hours, one was 10.6 hours, one was 4.1 hours, one was 6.1 hours, one was 4.6 hours and the rest were between 0.3 hours up to 2.2 hours. Shocked

Aussie time and date! Wink

Mark

I got almost 90 hours from 7-15-11 to 7-21-11. Here is a copy of a the logbook I keep in Excel. The odd thing about it is the time in the 762 because I have probably flown that maybe 2 or 3 times in last year and a half prior to this period.

Michael Cubine

logbook2.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case, Corsair 1200W PS, Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler,I7-2700K 4.6GHz, ASRock Z68 ProfessionalGen3 MB, 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1866 MHz 2-300GB VelociRaptor 10000RPM SATA 16MB Cache, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780ti, 3072MB, GDDR5, PCIe, ASUS 27" LED Monitor, Windows7 64bit, FSX Gold

IP Logged

Mric29

Reply #16 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Nice landings in Quito Bruce !  I prefer the first one, you should cry "Banzaïïï"...  Cheesy

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
buedi, you are correct - FSX does not show pink, but in real life you can see the slight mix of the red and white. In the wide body aircraft the VASI or PAPI brings the gear just a bit too low for safety so that is why you fly the three white or the top pink.

Bruce, It is a very cool mission and is doable! You have to work a bit to get into position, but I do it all the time without too much grief. Study the map of the area so you see all the obstructions you need to avoid during the vectoring. You need to be on speed for the flap setting so the turns are smaller - remember the faster you go the slower the rate of turn for a given bank angle. [ I can't remember the name of the pilot of the SR-71 who said your not lost, until your lost at MACH 3! At that high speed it would take several states to get the thing turned around. ]

Once you get on approach and lined up about 12 miles out is when the real fun begins. You must stay as close to on speed as you can because at the high altitude of this airport the ground speed will be very high even though the IAS looks normal. Then, inside the middle marker the computer introduces a wind shear - very realistic. Every thing looks fine and the bottom drops out. The GPWS starts yelling "SINK RATE" and if you don't do it right you'll either slam it on short of the runway, or go off the far end. I wish I could post the video of this approach so you could see how fast things go to hell in a hand basket. The best I can do is freeze the plane and do screen captures, but it's not the same. Too bad there is no way to copy the Instant Replay in FSX.

It's just about happy hour... see ya!  Cool

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Mric --- I DID!!  Bonzai!!! Grin

I tried it again in the 707 from Cali, Columbia ---- not a whole lot better. Still not getting slowed down enough. Three point landing this time. Will post video when Vimeo finishes processing. Wait till you see the Cali Airport!! FSX graphics glitch that wasn't fixed. While I was typing the response to Lou the video got published. Here it is:

http://www.vimeo.com/26739637

Capt. Lou --

Will never get that mission completed---- ever!! I would love to see you do it! I'd almost bet no one could do it! Seems impossible!

If you don't have FSRecorder install it ---- it's FREE. You can probably record the whole mission as I don't think there is a time limit. The resulting file is called an frc file. You name and save it and anytime you are in FSX you can replay that recorded file. I am assuming you can email that frc file to me and I could start FSX, load a flight and play it. It's like an instant replay, but you have to have FSRecorder to play it and you can only play it when you are in FSX with a flight loaded. You can download it here:

http://www.fs-recorder.net/downloads.php

Salute!!

Bruce

PS -- You come here and teach me to fly FSX and I'll show you the movie making!! Didn't you say you had a Harley Softail? Ride it out here--- I'll meet you in Mt Vernon, IL!   Cool

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Hey Bruce,

How's this???

On final, just inside the middle marker as wind shear hits. A bit low on the PAPI, but correcting...

How about them apples ol boy?

Yes, I was hoping to get together with you at the AVSIM show, but we'll have to try something else.

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Lou, that's just hard to believe! How the heck you get from 17000 to 12000 @ 210 kts only 14 miles from the runway to begin with and get lined up like that is beyond me. In Big Bird no less! I'd almost pay to watch that in person! That's why you were fly'n and I was in res--- I guess!

That's a 2 Manhattan job--- on ME! Ooops, I just had your two!   Smiley

Bruce

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Bruce,

I think I see where you are going wrong...

How the heck you get from 17000 to 12000 @ 210 kts only 14 miles from the runway to begin with and get lined up like that is beyond me.

You must have had maybe two or three too many cherries before flight!  Shocked

You missed the instructions of the ATC boy when he said Turn right to heading 150, and descend to 12,000'.

That gives you a lot of time to get to 12,000'.

Here are a few traps in this mission. The heading change is a very big one and if you crank in the heading select from the 150 degrees to the 350 degree heading too fast the plane will actually try to turn left instead right since the turn is larger than 180 degrees. The next trap is the windshear which the computer slips in somewhere inside the middle marker. It is not always the same shear - that makes it fun!

Here is a look just inside the outer marker.

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Lou -

NO CHERRIES while in FSX, and no FSX after cherries! I learned that a long time ago!  Smiley

I got the turn to 150 okay and the descent to 12000 at 210kts. When I paused the sim at 14000 and went into spot view I was overflying the runway and way left of it. That happened twice. The first try I did turn to 350 too fast like you mentioned, but it seemed that that was after I had already past the rwy!??

Later today I'll try it again and I'll record the whole thing with FSRecorder and make a video. Right now I'm heading out on my scoot to Estes Park! 94 and severe clear here today!

Catch up with you later.

Bruce

IP Logged

BrianG

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Just listen carefully to ATC instructions and follow them closely. It took me a couple times.
Has anyone tried the Singapore Monsoon approach? That ones really fun. Be careful not get your ATC instructions confused with other aircraft. That's were I went wrong the first couple times.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
BrianG, that is another good approach. What I did was save the flight about 10 to 12 miles out and then load the flight each time from that point and just play with the approach and windshear.

You are correct. Just listen to the controllers instructions and you have a lot of time to do the approach.

Lou

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #25 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Okay, Lou and Brian ---

This was the 2nd attempt. I know now what my confusion was at first!! I am not very good hand flying these things though.

Lou, I recorded the entire mission with FSRecorder and then used FRAPS to make the video clips. Then I went into the FSX missions folder to get the atc responses and added them to the video clips.

http://vimeo.com/26786657

Time for Mojitos!!

Bruce

IP Logged

BrianG

Reply #26 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Nice video and nice landing Bruce. Fun stuff.
So Lou, does the FSX 747 mimic the flight characteristics of  a real 747 in those conditions as presented in the Singapore approach? It kind of seems like wrestling a wild animal the entire time. Sometimes on that flight for what ever reason I pull up just a bit to much for the flare and I find I have a real hard time getting the plane to settle on the runway. At this point I hit the speed brakes for not more than a second and then after a couple seconds delay, the plane settles nicely. It this not good form using speed brakes for this application?
Also, I have my default flight set up  for KPAE to KSEA in the CS 70 7 with 1/4 miles visibility, heavy turbulence and 25k wind 90 degrees relative and heavy rain. My approach is on 16R in KSEA. I can only land this successfully maybe 1 out 5 tries. My landing weight is about 220K. I can generally make the landing if I have the localizer just a bit off center at 2 miles on the DME so that when I actually get to the runway threshold the drift will have carried me to the right spot for the touch down. But that is a lot easier said than done. From that point the window of opportunity to set the plane down is so brief because in a split second the drift will have carried you off the runway and for me its very difficult to get in back in alignment. No real second tries unless you do a go around it seems.   In real life should a well seasoned pilot be able to make an instrument approach in such conditions in a 707? So I'm wondering at what point does an airport become shut down?
I have a better success rate using the 727 ( of course with a light landing weight). Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Bruce - GREAT landing!  Shocked  I really likes the Summertime video too!
You do a great job on the videos. Too bad you live sooooo far away... Cry We would have fun riding our bikes around.

Harley FSTDN and Indian Roadmaster Chief

BrianG - 1/4 mile in the old beast with all that wind - would scare me!  Tongue

Remember, the 707 was really a CAT-I plane that was up-graded to CAT-II maybe. A half mile would be more realistic with a bit less wind.

The FSX 747 is just OK - nothing like the CS planes. If CS ever comes out with a 747 this would be a fun approach to try. The gusty winds and heavy rain make the approach to Singapore tough. If you get a sudden shear like the one in this mission, in real life you would be going around. As you found out if you give it a big amount of thrust to catch the sink and the shear all of a sudden stops, you are left with a lot of speed to get rid of before you can land. We would simulate shears like the one in this mission in the Level - D simulator, in either the 747 or 757 and 767. It's a very hard approach to salvage.

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Thanks, Brian--- it didn't look that good while I was doing it! Thought I might have to abort!

Whoa! Lou--- that's some really heavy iron in your garage!

You should move out here! We could ride to places like this in the Summer and Fall,

http://vimeo.com/26786657

and we could fly FS all winter. By the first Spring I would know how to fly FS and they'd be calling you Cecil B. De - Capt. Lou!  Smiley

Btw---There's a little airport 6 miles straight down the road from here. You could keep your Cub there, and I'd help with the gas! Whaddaya think!?   Grin

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 9:11am
Print Post  
DAL191 wrote on Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:13pm:
Mark

I got almost 90 hours from 7-15-11 to 7-21-11. Here is a copy of a the logbook I keep in Excel. The odd thing about it is the time in the 762 because I have probably flown that maybe 2 or 3 times in last year and a half prior to this period.

Michael Cubine

Wow! that IS a lot! I play other games sometimes which can take me away from FSX. Like LFS (on Live to Cruise), Trainz 2012, Ship Simulator Extremes or Unreal Tournament GOTY 1999 (my favorite). I usually log 5+ games a day on UT.

Did you do that Excel file yourself? Or did you download it from somewhere. I'm just asking because I'm sure I've downloaded something like that before. I have lost quite a few flights because the Logbook.bin file keeps getting corrupted. I have a program to repair it, I when it repairs it, it gets rid of any corrupted logged flights. Sad I can create an excel file to store my flights anyway. I was just curios as to how you got yours..

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top