Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Time for something Russian? (Read 8098 times)

Delta 737-200

Time for something Russian?
Jul 7th, 2011 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Is it time for us to see something Russian?

How about the Ilyushin Il-96?

or maybe the Tupolev Tu-114, fastest turboprop, cursing at Mach .74

perhaps we stick with the western stuff, I like the Convair 880 too, the fastest subsonic airliner ever made

IP Logged

iPetroSS

Re: Time for something Russian?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 7:21am
Print Post  
I'd love to see a TU204/214  Smiley

Αέρας στα φτερά μας - Wind beneath our wings

IP Logged

Edwin

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Or a nice IL-76

Then we can do some nice take-offs and landings like this:
takeoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtdtuspnoM

landing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclH8ZSDVOM&feature=related

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I would want to see the IL-96 or other Russian planes, but they are not utilized by many airlines.  Sad

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

StephenL

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Give me a second while I barf. (no offense) The Russian planes are all Boeing and Airbus cheaply-made wannabes.

i7-4790k @ 4.00GHz - H100i Water cooling (Corsair SP120Quiet fans) - MSI Gaming 5 mobo - MSI GTX 970 4GB OC - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA 850w Bronze PSU - 240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - 1TB HDD - NZXT Phantom 530 (Custom Modded) - Windows 8.1 64bit Pro

IP Logged

boeing247

Pilots: Looking down on
people since 1903

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Yeah, that's true for a lot of planes, but there are plenty of Russian-designed planes. However, as I said earlier, they are not used by very many airlines, so I wouldn't want them much.

I'd like to see some Airbus planes from CS (as much as I dislike Airbus as a company, they have good planes).

-Bram Osterhout&&&&&&&&Dell XPS 8300 | Windows 7 64 Bit | AMD Radeon HD 6770 | Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz | 1000GB Hard Drive
WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

cenkcnk

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Tu-114 is the best propeller aircraft on the planet IMHO. Please make us fly with her!

IP Logged

Delta 737-200

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I'd take the Russian planes as a reviewer, but also because i have two Russian aunts (married into family though) and Aeroflot is Skyteam, so...

IP Logged

Cathy Howat

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 8:51am
Print Post  
StephenL wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 12:07am:
Give me a second while I barf. (no offense) The Russian planes are all Boeing and Airbus cheaply-made wannabes.

And a lot of them were/are very interesting designs. The TU-154 is still in service. Everyone only seems interested in Western--mainly US or British- planes, when there is so much variety out there!

IP Logged

Christopher Low

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
If I was asked which Russian airliner I would like to see in FSX, it would be the Tu-154.

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #10 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Cathy Howat wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 8:51am:
And a lot of them were/are very interesting designs. The TU-154 is still in service. Everyone only seems interested in Western--mainly US or British- planes, when there is so much variety out there!

I think we are seeing some rather typical stereotype perception there, more or less dominant.

On a media market where western and mostly American films dominate, the 'typical' Russian technology is driven by drunk guys, kicking their MIR station and aeroplanes if something goes wrong, to make them work again. Russian people (still describing that stereotype) drink vodka all the time and only copy western technology. They are happy and lazy (cause: vodka) and also closer to crime than western people.
If you ask people what they know about Russia or if they even want to know and what sources they are using, you will soon get that western media dominated picture.

Some people in science even speak about a 'western arrogance' there, when describing this type of superficial thinking and perception.
It's wrong, as every across-the-board perception on this planet is.
You will see nearly every media getting filled with this sort of biased footage. E. g. Youtube mostly relates 'Russian' to missed approaches, alcohol or both. Grin

A 'Concordski' for example never existed in the aviation language, that phrase was a media creation and does not for one second take into account the very own Russian development going into that plane.
Looks so similar to western things? Well, you may see some more 'copies' of supersonic birds there as some forms are described by the laws of supersonic travel, not by spies of any kind.

Russia was and still is a hi-tech and also very proud part of the world. Hi-tech goes for certain areas, proud goes for all.
I relate vodka to Russia too, but I also relate beer to the Germans, baguettes to the French and photographic devices to every Japanese guy.Grin In the funny way of speaking, this shouldn't be a problem, but sometimes this way of thinking influences our real impressions.

Of course, one can't say that the Russian technology was exported in the numbers of some American or European ones, but that does not mean that it has no potential at all. The world relies on some heavy and sturdy Russian tech when it comes to rugged and capable cargo planes for example. And aviation history wouldn't be the same if some Russian devs hadn't set the pace for others.
For example, the US Space Shuttles are now out of service and you may ask which nation now provides the transport into space.

I more or less summarize things (in the wrong way) with the word 'Russian' of course, the Soviet Union was the country which later split up and which forms a big part of mankind's history in the later years.
Closing the eyes and writing it down to stereotypes there doesn't do the people nor the technology justice in my eyes.

So one has to praise the idea of getting some nice payware birds from that era/country into the FSX air.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
CoolP...well said.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top