Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 A few questions (Read 9800 times)
wahnsim

A few questions
Mar 10th, 2011 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Ladies, Gentlemen,

I bought the beauty some weeks ago flying her now many hours. There are still many questions open for me, and I'd appreciate your input:

1st, I still don't get the engines running from dark and cold, whatever I tried. If you do, can you tell me differences from the manual, please?

2nd, I still have difficulties with the autopilot: Sometimes, disengaging ALT_HOLD by just changing the pitch (usually lowering it), the plane seems to jump - an immediate climb, which sometimes even stalls the craft. As this behaviour is quite rare, I tend to forget about it, and: bam! Anyone those symptoms?

3rd, also the autopilot: how do I keep a VOR backcourse? I've got no clue ...

4th, are the extinguishers supposed to interact with fsx? I tried it a few times, but it does not seem to help on the engine fire I initiated.

5th, a few times, in some forums, I stumbled over a service pack mentioned for the software. However, I yet found nothing within the captainsim.org sites ...

A few things are also a bit strange:

I've never seen the right knob of the radar panel as shown in manual part II, p15 (only in VC, unuseable), nor the buttons on top of the panel (not even VC).

I have the C-130 pack from Just Flight via Amazon, but it seems that i.e. the ski version and the water landing version are missing, while I have all the others from bothe Extra Packs.

I have not seen ever those formation lights, or any differences adjusting their brightness button ...

To be honest, this is only a part of my learning curve yet, which came to my mind ... however, if I overlooked some obvious things, sorry, it's tons of material - please point me to it.

Many thanks in advance for you help, it's enthusiastically appreciated.

Cheers
Christian aka wahnsim

&&currently on DELL 6510 i7 M640 4G RAM, Windows 7 64bit&&soon: MSI Z68 with SSD, i7 2600K, 8 G RAM, likely som

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: A few questions
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Hi.

1. They sure are tricky to start, but they can be started. I don't use the manual or checklist to start them. I'll write up on how I start them if I have some spare time soon.
2. I don't recall ever having had that happen.
3. I don't think you can. I could be wrong, but I think it has something to with it not being available in FSX itself (correct me if I'm wrong).
4. Can't help you on that as I have never tried. Maybe someone else can help you.
5. If you bought it from Just Flight, then the updates will be provided by them. The C-130 hasn't been updated for a long time. In the description for mine in which I bought the download version from either Captain Sim directly, or the FlightSimStore, is "'C-130 X-perience' Pro Pack v.1.3\n(c) 2008 Captain Sim www.captainsim.com". As you can see, v1.3 2008.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

wahnsim

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Mark,

Thank you for the quick answer. I hope, someone can help with the left open topics.

I'm really looking forward to your cold&dark checklist.

Referring to 5), where did you get the version string from? I did not find any entry (only in the manual I found a version, and it's also some 2008. However, knowing programers, versions of manual and copyright are usually not giving any hint, do they?).

Further, the printed manual as well as the pdf has those variants listed, and I can't imagine another company did a lot of efforts to change CaptainSim originals. So, I understand in your download version they are actually included? Not that I'd really fly them much, but ... you know. Wink

Again, thanks for your answers.

Cheers
Christian

&&currently on DELL 6510 i7 M640 4G RAM, Windows 7 64bit&&soon: MSI Z68 with SSD, i7 2600K, 8 G RAM, likely som

IP Logged

stealthchef

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2011 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I feel your pain about the engine startup, as I just finally got it to work reliably last night, after spending two nights on this. If it makes you feel any better, even with my Dad on the phone (he worked on them for 30+ years) helping me it took forever.

Here's what I've got for you: http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/captain-sim-lockheed-c130.html The only thing you want to change is where he says to "go to the captain sim menu" to activate the ground power unit, just hit the E on the captain sim panel to accomplish the same thing. Outside of that, follow those directions exactly like it says. I promise it will work. I rushed through it several times and it didn't work. Just do it word for word and you'll get those engines lit.

A couple pieces of advice I can give is to make sure all 4 engine bleed valves are closed before you start from C&D. Mine always seem to be open by default. I don't know if that's a deal-breaker, but it's something I noticed. The 2nd thing that I've noticed is sometimes when I go to actually start the first engine I have to hit the button a couple of times before it gets going...as if it were a glitch.

I'm not sure about your AP issues. I've never had any trouble with the ALT hold. During normal flight I have the top switch to Heading, selector to HDG, Power and Engage are lit, all three rocker switches pointed up, Track is lit, and finally, the little arrow on the Height/IAS button is pointed to Height and it is lit. My advise, get straight and level at your altitude before you Height/IAS on. Also, hitting the pitch swith in either direction will give you problems. All it really does is keep your altitude steady. I have seen it jump like you mentioned though. Not so much like that, but It'd happen to me shortly after turning AP off during final approach. It's almost like it's picking up where my elevator trim is actually set and adjusts to it. Something like that anyway.

Hope this helps you. I'm not sure about your other AP issue. I'm starting on figuring all that out tonight (now that I can turn the darn plane on). Stay tuned and we can compare notes.

Good luck!

r

IP Logged

pedroshere

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 3:13am
Print Post  
i just got the all in one pack today and the ac 130 model has no panel for the weapons control and ATO options dont appear in ace .. any help would be great .

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Here is how I start the C-130 (without using External Power/Air)

Battery - TO ISOLATED DC BUS
Co-Pilots AC Instruments - ISOLATED DC BUS
AC INST & FVM CONT - ESSENTIAL AC BUS
GTC Door Switch - OPEN
GTC Main Switch - START (returns to the RUN position when released)
Wait for the GREEN light - then
Bleed Air Valve Switch - OPEN
ATM Control Switch - ON
ATM Generator Switch - RESET then move to ATM GENERATORS
Engine Bleed Air Valves #1, #2, #3 & #4 - OPEN
Engine #3 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #3 - *PRESS and release.
After engine #3 starts
Generator Selector Switch #3 - OPEN/ON
Engine #4 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #4 - *PRESS and release
After engine #4 starts
Generator Selector Switch #4 - OPEN/ON
ATM Generator Switch - OFF
Bleed Air Valve Switch - CLOSED
GTC Main Switch - OFF
GTC Door Switch - CLOSED
Engine #1 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #1 - *PRESS and release
After engine #1 starts
Generator Selector Switch #1 - OPEN/ON
Engine #2 Condition Lever - AIR START (returns to RUN position when released)
Engine Ground Start Button #2 - *PRESS and release
After engine #2 starts
Generator Selector Switch #2 - OPEN/ON

*Sometimes the button sticks and won't come out, click it to release it. Sometimes I leave it for a few seconds, sometimes I click on it immediately (both seem to work). Sometimes I click the button really quickly ("tap it" and the Engine Start panel shows very briefly) and that's enough to initiate the engine start.

The C-130 is hard to start and sometimes I find I need to move the Engine Condition Lever to AIR START again. The method above works for me every time. This may not be the proper way to start them, but this method does get them started, which is the main point of this reply.

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Aviator327

Airline Transport Pilot
(Ret)

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
stealthchef wrote on Mar 11th, 2011 at 6:05pm:
I feel your pain about the engine startup, as I just finally got it to work reliably last night, after spending two nights on this. If it makes you feel any better, even with my Dad on the phone (he worked on them for 30+ years) helping me it took forever.

Here's what I've got for you: http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/captain-sim-lockheed-c130.html The only thing you want to change is where he says to "go to the captain sim menu" to activate the ground power unit, just hit the E on the captain sim panel to accomplish the same thing. Outside of that, follow those directions exactly like it says. I promise it will work. I rushed through it several times and it didn't work. Just do it word for word and you'll get those engines lit.

A couple pieces of advice I can give is to make sure all 4 engine bleed valves are closed before you start from C&D. Mine always seem to be open by default. I don't know if that's a deal-breaker, but it's something I noticed. The 2nd thing that I've noticed is sometimes when I go to actually start the first engine I have to hit the button a couple of times before it gets going...as if it were a glitch.

I'm not sure about your AP issues. I've never had any trouble with the ALT hold. During normal flight I have the top switch to Heading, selector to HDG, Power and Engage are lit, all three rocker switches pointed up, Track is lit, and finally, the little arrow on the Height/IAS button is pointed to Height and it is lit. My advise, get straight and level at your altitude before you Height/IAS on. Also, hitting the pitch swith in either direction will give you problems. All it really does is keep your altitude steady. I have seen it jump like you mentioned though. Not so much like that, but It'd happen to me shortly after turning AP off during final approach. It's almost like it's picking up where my elevator trim is actually set and adjusts to it. Something like that anyway.

Hope this helps you. I'm not sure about your other AP issue. I'm starting on figuring all that out tonight (now that I can turn the darn plane on). Stay tuned and we can compare notes.

Good luck!

r

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. Finally got all 4 engines up and running after the 3rd attempt. I see what you mean that the engines are a little tricky to start from cold&dark. I had to do what Markoz did by cycling the condition levers to an Air Start back to Run a few times and then I would get a Light Off. Did a short flight in the Navy Blue Angles C130 from KCLT to Pope,AFB and after landing and taxiing to the ramp was greeted by a jeep full of AP's (Air Police). They wanted to know what a bunch of Navy pukes were doing on an AFB. The AC informed them that was classified info. Wink

&&&&Dell XPS600 l Dell 2407WFP l FS9.1 FSX SP2 l Win7 Prox64 l Evga GTX260 896mb&&&&

IP Logged

pedroshere

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Could really use some help with my issue i just purchased the all in one c130 pack for fsx and my ac 130 model has no weapons panel and the JATO is not working in the sim and is not an option on the ACE utility  Cry s.o.s ! And in cold & dark flight one engine is always running from the start.

IP Logged

wahnsim

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I really appreciate your detailed input. I will try a bit and provide my feedback hopefully soon.

Thanks a lot & cheers
Christian

IP Logged

nath2889

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
pedroshere wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 7:06pm:
Could really use some help with my issue i just purchased the all in one c130 pack for fsx and my ac 130 model has no weapons panel and the JATO is not working in the sim and is not an option on the ACE utility  Cry s.o.s ! And in cold & dark flight one engine is always running from the start.

For guns on the AC 130 hit Alt key then veiws from the top menu then go to instrament panal gun controls open in a window
as for the Jato its only a cosmetic thing
it dosnt give you any extra thrust

IP Logged

wahnsim

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Mar 13th, 2011 at 6:45am:
Here is how I start the C-130 (without using External Power/Air)

Mark

Mark, it worked for me. Thanks so much!

Cheers
Christian

IP Logged

wahnsim

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Mar 11th, 2011 at 1:01am:

3. I don't think you can. I could be wrong, but I think it has something to with it not being available in FSX itself (correct me if I'm wrong).

Mate, you're wrong. Look at the 747 or Learjet panels, they have a switch to toggle to/from. Sry.  Wink

cheers
Christian

IP Logged

wahnsim

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
stealthchef wrote on Mar 11th, 2011 at 6:05pm:
... about your AP issues. .... Also, hitting the pitch swith in either direction will give you problems. All it really does is keep your altitude steady. ...

Just wanted to note, that on the Height/IAS switch you have to click carefully: click on the outer ring to change the mode between Height and IAS, inside (LED) to activate. The pitch is only working with IAS here.

rgds
Christian

PS: here's my start up procedure minimums (ignoring lights, radio and stuff), referencing the simcon panel mouse-over descriptions:
set the parkbrake, go panel OH 2: battery on ESSENTIAN DC BUS, COPILOT AC INSTR and AC INST & ENGINE FVW CONT switches to connect the yellow and green bus lines (vert pos), DC BUS TIE switch on & save. GTC DOOR switch to OPEN, GTC rotating switch to START. It jumps back to RUN and the red light glows. Wait until it's off and the ON SPEED led is lit. Switch GTC BLEED AIR VALVE to OPEN, then AIR TURBINE MOTOR to ON. Now you RESET the the ATM GENERATOR knob (!) and align it with the bus (yellow line). You can check the currents in the gauges and voltmeters. This stage equals external power with the switches connecting those lights and their busses (green/yellow). Switch the ENGINE BLEED VALVES to OPEN (all).
Goto panel R1 and put all switches in the upper position (Anti-Skid is not needed to be off). The 4 engine lights should lit and EMERGENCY and AUXILIARY gauges should show pressure.
Set all BOOST PUMPs with non-empty tanks to ON in panel OH 1.
In the throttle quadrant panel drop all condition levers into AIR START position (they'll fall into RUN).
Now in panel OH 1 press the red starter buttons at least until the red light appears, then let go. You may also do this in VC, but one has to be very patient and try several periods of pressed buttons. I recommend to redo the condition levers in between multiple attempts. Works all the time.
After success, disconnect ATM GENERATOR from the yellow bus and reverse the GTC procedure to shut it off. Last, align the switches COPILOT AC INSTR and AC INST & ENGINE FVW CONT with the yellow line (horizontally). Fly save.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top