Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Could the 707 land do a full auto landing in 1970 (Read 5847 times)
Jan Koppen

Could the 707 land do a full auto landing in 1970
Feb 11th, 2011 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Gents

Could the 707 perform a full auto landing already in 1960/70 ?
The CS707 is doing ILS landing in perfect style but since when was that possilbe with the 707 Huh. I know the HS 1 Trident was the first Jet to do autolandings.

Jan Koppen

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: Could the 707 land do a full auto landing in 1970
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Hi, Jan.
From my understanding, you are looking at the 707 following the ILS signal and therefore "landing" somehow.
But since she has no Autothrottle for example, the autolanding of the plane isn't possible or permitted. So "following the ILS" and the actual Autoland are two different ballgames here since the following (not landing) is permitted and possible on various planes for good reasons.

I'm no pro on this but that's my assumption on her and the 727 for example.
You could follow the Flight Director when the weather is above certain minimums and you can even have the Autopilot fly the plane towards a certain height or distance, but the actual landing will be your job, always. The FD may be on in this situation, the AP won't.

Maybe Lou can point out the procedure and correct my assumptions if they fail here.  Undecided

Famous first birds (in the Autoland aspect) were some European ones I think, e. g. the Concorde, which could perform a true Autoland and was permitted to do so.
I think the whole Autoland issue was raised in the UK, having bad weather and dense traffic coming together most of the time, so it seemed like a more than neat feature to be able to operate at otherwise "closed" airports.
I remember there was a British Airline having a whole fleet with that feature, so they were allowed to operate while their competitors had to divert or stay parked.

Nowadays, the smaller airliners use the FD together with some HUD to allow worst weather operation, while the bigger models of course have Autoland available.
The categories (CAT) then define the weather minimums where the systems are permitted to operate.

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
The short answer - NO!  Shocked

The lowest you could go with the autopilot connected was 50 feet. The 707 and 727 did not have autoland, there were some mods that were added to the 727 in its later life, but that was like putting the brain of a 16 year old in the body of a 80 year old. Even the early 747's had to be landed by hand. The first U.S. production airliner I can recall that had true autoland was the L-1011. It was way ahead of its time. The L-1011 had something called DLC (direct lift control). During the approach in order to make the aircraft more stable the G/S, which in a normal plane was tracked by pitch, in the L-1011 used a special system called DLC. The spoilers would float and adjust the rate of descent to hold the G/S. The advantage was a constant deck angle which kept the power changes to a minimum thus a more stable approach.

When the 767, 757 group came out, then Boeing had developed a true autoland system. The 707, 727, 747 all had the same problem. Their wings had to be kept level during touchdown or either an engine or leading edge would contact the runway. This meant that the landing had to be done in a crab if there was a crosswind. This was a real problem for the 747 on a 150 foot wide runway since if you had the cockpit on the center line the main landing gear could be off the runway. It was one thing for the pilot to kick the rudder at the last minute and align the plane and something else for the autopilot.

The 767, 757 had a lot of wing clearance so now the plane could be landed in a slip. The 767, 757 fly the ILS in a crab to around 500 feet above the runway, then the rudder aligns the plane to the runway and drops the wing to slip to a landing, just as a pilot would do. These planes do it so well that landing limits are reduced to 100 meters (300 RVR) with just an alert height instead of a decision altitude. During my first CAT-IIIB landing in the plane after checking out in the 767-200, we were landing in Vienna with thick ice fog. The RVR was 150 meters. As the plane made the approach you would monitor all the instruments and watch it go into align and adjust power. At 100 feet to go (AH) we saw nothing. Then around 40 feet the nose started to come up and the power came back - still nothing out the window! We knew we were on the ground when the auto-spoilers activated and the nose touched the runway. Then, and only then could I see the center line lights of the runway slipping by. The only reason you needed 100 meters visibility was to be able to taxi. And with the help of ASDI (airport surface detection indicator) radar, the ground controller could help you find the gate.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:43pm:
During my first CAT-IIIB landing in the plane after checking out in the 767-200, we were landing in Vienna with thick ice fog. The RVR was 150 meters. As the plane made the approach you would monitor all the instruments and watch it go into align and adjust power. At 100 feet to go (AH) we saw nothing. Then around 40 feet the nose started to come up and the power came back - still nothing out the window! We knew we were on the ground when the auto-spoilers activated and the nose touched the runway. Then, and only then could I see the center line lights of the runway slipping by. The only reason you needed 100 meters visibility was to be able to taxi. And with the help of ASDI (airport surface detection indicator) radar, the ground controller could help you find the gate.
Man! That sounds scary just reading about it. I'm not so sure I would want to do it in real life either.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Mark,

The plane did such a good job of the autoland it was very assuring indeed.

Even in a strong crosswind the autopilot would slip that baby to a pretty smooth landing. The auto-spoilers were set up to deploy at a slower rate during a slip to a landing since only one set of trucks would be compressed at a time. If the wind was from the left, you would have the left wing down enough to counter the wind and the rudder would keep the nose down the runway. Since that was the way you touched down, the spoilers would deploy at the slower rate so the pilot could continue the slip until the wheels were providing enough friction to counter the drift.

The 3 autopilots did such a good job. They didn't get scared, they just did the job!  Wink

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Congrats to Lou by the way. Seems like you've received the same honor as Mark lately.

Interesting answers once again and I vote for a "Lou's stories" section in the forums now.  Tongue

IP Logged

jeffk19

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 3:40am
Print Post  
that's some good info Lou!  Smiley AND you had to go ahead and mention the L1011 of which there is no good fltsim software out there Cry

Jeff

IP Logged

rservice
Beta Team

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Your mention of the L1011 brings back some memories.I actually worked on the development simulator in Palmdale back in 1971.
It almost did'nt get off the ground due to problems with the Rolls Royce engines, I guess it came to the market late for the wide body market.You are right that nobody has made a decent FS model, possibly a consideration for CS.
Initially the MD-11 was not a great seller for another company,but it is one of my favourite aircraft with unique avionics. I believe it is now getting a second look.Maybe the baby boomers and nostalgia buffs are entering our hobby.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
The L-1011 was a great plane!

Boeing owned the patent on the "S" duct from the 727. Lockheed was willing to pay for the use of the curved duct. What they ended up with is a very stable CAT-III aircraft that was very state-of-the-art! Douglass tried to make a cheap copy of the L-1011 and did not want to pay the royalties to Boeing for the duct. They mounted the center engine high up in the middle of the tail which made the airplane pitch unstable during a go-around. The plane was not certified for CAT-III because of that.

The other problem as became known, was the routing of control cables and hydraulic lines in such a way that there was no redundancy if something bad happened - like the left engine breaking off on takeoff at KORD and taking all the hydraulics with it, or the rear cargo door blowing off during climb and the control cables routed all in one place so when the floor collapsed because of the pressure difference flight controls were lost. Or how about Sioux City.

The DC-10 & MD-11 were nick named "The Death Star."  Shocked

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:29am
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Feb 16th, 2011 at 8:23pm:
The DC-10 & MD-11 were nick named "The Death Star."  Shocked
Ouch!

Back in 1989, I was traveling back and forth from Australia to the Philippines, flying PAL, who used DC-10's for the route. It was a great plane (as a passenger), but I can tell you that the Sioux City accident made me worry a bit. It happened only a week before I was heading back to the Philippines. In March 1990, I had been living in the Philippines for six months and had to return to Oz. I was discussing the Sioux City accident with a guy sitting next to me, when all hell broke loose, for about the next 1.5 to 2 hours it was the worst flight I had ever been on. Bumping and bouncing all over the place. I was nearly cutting myself in half because I had the seatbelt on as tight as I could get it. It turned out we were going around the edge of a huge typhoon (signal three, the worst ones). I can tell that the two of us quit talking about air crashes immediately! LOL

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top