Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Paint Kit Tips (Read 5969 times)
Chase Kreznor
Ex Member

Paint Kit Tips
Aug 22nd, 2009 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Hello,

Does anyone have any useful tips they can share with using the 767 paint kit?

I'm finding it difficult to curve the textures just the right way to get lines/colors to match up on the nose (top and bottom texture) with the nose sides.  If that makes sense?  Any suggestions?

IP Logged

kiniu

Virtual Pilot

Re: Paint Kit Tips
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Hello I think there is no special tips or tricks to do nice curve line around the nose of the plane I have experience the same problem when I do ''Lot'' liveries all you need to do is experiment with different curve and see how it's look I think that's the only way to do it but I may be wrong
I wish you patience to do the liveries it's not so easy with this CS kit but when you finish first one the second one is just piece of cake
best regards
Chris

Intel Q6600 | 4GB ram |Nvidia 480 GTX | 2x 1TB HDD sata |24' DELL Monitor | Vista 64 Bit |
IP Logged

kiniu

Virtual Pilot

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Or download some liveries witch have similar effect you are looking for
open selected dds files and you will see how it's look on the plane and how it's made in paint kit
I hope you understand my poor English and this will help you to do good liveries
Chris

Intel Q6600 | 4GB ram |Nvidia 480 GTX | 2x 1TB HDD sata |24' DELL Monitor | Vista 64 Bit |
IP Logged

Terrence

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Ah, the mighty fold-out kit challenges....

I believe this is the reason why you don't see a lot of cheatlined liveries being released, as most of them are single coloured fuses.

Perhaps Dave has some tips for you, as he is doing some liveries with cheatlines at the moment. I can tell you one thing though :

Get your copy of FSRepaint. It will save you HOURS and HOURS of aligning...

IP Logged

Chase Kreznor
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Thank you both for your kind and helpful e-mails.  I went and purchased the paint program to assist in doing the lining up.

Thanks again!  =)

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Is that Abacus' paint program?  Is that a good one for beginners, Terrence?

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Terrence

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Not only for beginners Tim. It is THE best program ever made, next to PS and DXTBMP of course, period.

Not for actual painting though, for that PS is king AND queen, but for alignment purposes it is really handy, as it lets you paint directly on the tile, and see it appear on the 3D model, real time, while you draw.

Now in case of the fold out kit, you'll work with different sides, different amounts of stretching, and if you'd combine that with a livery that has many shapes, you'll find yourself going back and forth between PS and FSX, time after time after time, after time, as all you can do is trial and error.

With FSR you load it up, mark and move around, then save the tile, and use the tile as an overlay in the kit, to align your work.

If I find the time today, I'll make a short and quick vid/guide to the possibilities of FSR.

Abacaus may not have the best rep in the business, but FSR is gold.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Well, since I have your kind attention and will probably want to do a repaint or two on my new Connie, do I have to have PS or can (free) Paint.Net work?  Although we both know the limits of my painting skilz lol

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Chase Kreznor
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I've been kind of toying around with FSR alongside Adobe Photoshop today and its definitely a nice tool to have (aside from the mundane refreshing of FSX to see the texture updates).

I am unable though to get a "real-time" update on the 3d model while in Adobe... I have to flatten the image and then save as .bmp, then refresh the model.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong Smiley

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Ex C-130 Aircraft Engineer

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Sorry Chase.  It's the same ay for all of us I am afraid.

Dave

IP Logged

Dez

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
It would be nice if Captain Sim if they made a paint(psd)kit like the one I made below. It would have made it a lot easier for lining up etc.

Regards,
Mo

IP Logged

Terrence

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I am unable though to get a "real-time" update on the 3d model while in Adobe... I have to flatten the image and then save as .bmp, then refresh the model.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong Smiley

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/chasekreznor/blue1.jpg

Well, I didn't quite mean THAT. Wink What I meant was that you can draw on the tile IN FSR, and see whatever you draw, appear on the model real time. This way, you can make alignment marks/lines exactly where you need them. If you then save the tile in FSR, and open it in PS and use it as a layover (trace) you can quite easily align whatever you needed to align.

I believe you can use CS2 as a 3rd party editor, CS3 and 4 are not usable. Never used CS2 though, so I can't really say it works good or not.

In case of the livery you're showing :

You find the spot below the flightdeck windows/above or on top of  the nose, and start making horizontal lines on the appropriate tile. As soon as you have the correct height for the left and right side, you save the tile in FSR. And open it in CS so you can use the alignment lines to align the nose. Of course you're going to still have to play with the curve, but that is the least of your concerns..

Dez wrote on Aug 25th, 2009 at 7:43pm:
It would be nice if Captain Sim if they made a paint(psd)kit like the one I made below. It would have made it a lot easier for lining up etc

Perhaps you can share yours?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top