Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Basic Radio Navigation (Read 8682 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Basic Radio Navigation
Jul 3rd, 2009 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Most of you know this already, but I thought it might be useful for some.

How do you navigate an airplane with no FMC, and not even a GPS that is connected to the autopilot?  It is easier than you think.

Let FSX plan your route for you, only make sure you check VOR to VOR.  Your first waypoint, like all the subsequent ones, should then be a VOR.  Tune your left nav radio to the frequency of the VOR you want to be going to, and also dial in the proper course for the corresponding leg.

You'll see an arrow with the middle section off to one side.  You're going to want to get that middle section to line up with the rest, and that will happen when your position matches the radial of the VOR you have tuned in.  Radials are like spokes radiating from the hub of a wheel, the hub being the VOR.  There are -- guess how many?  If you guessed 360, you'd be right.  If you are following along the radial, that arrow will remain unbroken.  If you just cross it, the middle section will line up and then move on.

(Note, you can get the broken arrow to line up and be whole by just turning your course knob until it matches whatever radial you happen to be on.  This is good to experiment with so you know what to look for, but don't set it this way from the beginning for navigation.  You will want it broken, so you can get everything lined up by flying your airplane to the desired point.)

I use heading select to get more or less lined up, then change to navigate by following the VOR.  The autopilot in this old plane is not very aggressive, so I don't like to ask it to make radical changes.

There is a little instrument down and to the left with two arrows, a single one and a double one.  You can also choose for the arrows to react to VOR or ADF.  It is called the RMI.  If you click the VOR on the left switch, the single arrow will point to your course once you are on the radial.  Not all that useful, since you have a bigger and better instrument to do that front and center, right?

But the RMI is nonetheless very useful.  Let's say you want to know when you are at a particular intersection.  With an FMC, it's easy.  You see the little mark on the lateral navigation screen and watch your current position marker fly over it.  In the 727 you have to be a little more clever.

An intersection is formed by radials from two different VORs.  One will be the radial you are flying along.  The other will be from some other VOR off to the side.  If you put the other VOR frequency in your right nav frequency window, now you have activated the double needle on the RMI.  If you know what radial crosses the one you're following to make the intersection, all you have to do is watch the double needle move until it is pointing at the number matching the bearing of that radial.

The double needle will creep toward the expected bearing, cross it, and move on.  Then it is time to dial in the VOR for the next intersection (or note the radial, if it is taken from the same VOR).  But at the instant it crosses, you are at your intersection.

Your DME display will give you more information, too.  Besides knowing the radial of the second VOR you should also know how far it is along the path of the leg you're on.  So if the intersection is 29 nm from the VOR whose radial you are following for the leg, you should be hitting the 29 nm mile DME at the same time the double needle is crossing the expected bearing on your RMI.

You can fly VOR to VOR without worrying about a single intersection, too.  That's good, since FSX's flight planner doesn't really make it easy for you when it comes to knowing exactly what makes up an intersection.  You have to select the intersection, then drag your magenta course line to a likely VOR and note the bearing, then erase that VOR.

Still, it helps keep you on course, and without "cheating" with the GPS.  If you know the distance between your intersection and the VOR it is "made out of," you can make sure you're not off to one side or the other of our desired track.

Also, intersections get real important when trying to execute SIDs and STARs.  It would be quite a handful to do a complicated one this way, but some fairly simple ones ought to be manageable.

One other question.  If you're flying from VOR to VOR, how do you manage the switch when you cross the current VOR?  Easy.  You have your next heading dialed in beforehand.  Just before you cross the VOR, switch to heading, then adjust your frequency and course for the next leg.  Then switch back to nav once you are headed in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32†Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Tyrion

Aviation Student

Re: Basic Radio Navigation
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Great walkthrough!!
Thank you!!

Lars

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2009 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Why, thank you, sir.  If anyone thinks pictures would help, I'll work on it.  It used to be a lot easier with good ol' FSNav.  Man, I miss that program.  If someone came out with an FSX version I'd pay $100 for it.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32†Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

aal763

Boeing Expert

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2009 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I agree great walkthrough.  I don't know however why the course set in the HSI doesn't line up with the same course in the GPS.

Best Regards,
Robert Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top