Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Trim wheel Adjustments (Read 8148 times)
dougal

Trim wheel Adjustments
Apr 27th, 2009 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Hi guys

Is it just me, or is the trim wheel ULTRA sensitive on this bird?

I have it mapped to the left rocker button on the CH yoke, and I only have to breathe on the switch to overshoot what i want.

Windows7 x64 & FSX&&B707&&B727-100 & 200 Pro Pack&&B737-200&&B757-200 & 300 Pro Pack&&B767-300 Base Pack&&C-130 Herc&&F-104 Starfighter&&B-52 BUFF&&B777-200

IP Logged

JayG

Re: Trim wheel Adjustments
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
ULTRA is an understatement! If I just eyeball it, it overcorrects.

Flight Lead: "Bandits at 3 oclock!!!"&&Wingman: "It's only 2:30 now, what do we do til then?"

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2009 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I will say this about the trim.  It's better in the first SP than it was in the original release. Smiley

Look on right side of the TQ, near the FO's trim wheel.  There is an alternative trim switches in the panel there, try them.  They move it much slower.

For me, I find that I am able to trim to any speed in climb/descent with the regular trim wheel assignment on my yoke and a little bit of correction input at the yoke itself.  But, to get in a level flight, I always have to set the AP to Alt Hold.  Once it has trimmed, I can typically take off the AP again and stay in my plan alt very easy flying hands on, so long as I don't touch the trim.  Shocked

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

wsciutti

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
As a matter of fact, this is the way we actually trimmed this bird on a flight.

Jack S

TWA F/E

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2009 at 11:11am
Print Post  
The high speed stab trim actuated by the trim switches on the wheel operates in 2 speed modes. When the flaps are lowered the trim speed is approx twice as fast as when the flaps are retracted. The high speed trim in this plane is way too sensetive and is no way realistic. It also only operates in one speed regardless of flap position.

The cruise trim on the pedestal is accurate. But when departing or landing we rely on the high speed wheel trim and it's almost impossibel to trim this plane correctly. The changes in trim are too drastic. I wish this would be addressed. But the request so far has been denied. It sucks becasue that would make the plane perfect in my opinion. It just sucks to fly the way it is.

IP Logged

soldano

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:07am
Print Post  
JETPILOT wrote on Jul 8th, 2009 at 11:11am:
The high speed stab trim actuated by the trim switches on the wheel operates in 2 speed modes. When the flaps are lowered the trim speed is approx twice as fast as when the flaps are retracted. The high speed trim in this plane is way too sensetive and is no way realistic. It also only operates in one speed regardless of flap position.

The cruise trim on the pedestal is accurate. But when departing or landing we rely on the high speed wheel trim and it's almost impossibel to trim this plane correctly. The changes in trim are too drastic. I wish this would be addressed. But the request so far has been denied. It sucks becasue that would make the plane perfect in my opinion. It just sucks to fly the way it is.

I think there is way to tune in FSX the trim response, but dont remember how.-

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:37am
Print Post  
soldano wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:07am:

You can't adjsut the trim sensitivity in FSX. Even if you could it still doesn't model the two trim speed modes.

What would also be nice is if the trim sound would be simulated. The trim in the 727 is very loud when it's in motion. If you ever heard it in action you'd be surpised how loud it is.

EDIT: Here is a video I found on Youtube. You can hear the trim wheel in motion very clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ErZ1nakd0

IP Logged

soldano

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
[I think there is way to tune in FSX the trim response, but dont remember how.- [/quote]

You can't adjsut the trim sensitivity in FSX. Even if you could it still doesn't model the two trim speed modes.

What would also be nice is if the trim sound would be simulated. The trim in the 727 is very loud when it's in motion. If you ever heard it in action you'd be surpised how loud it is.

EDIT: Here is a video I found on Youtube. You can hear the trim wheel in motion very clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ErZ1nakd0 [/quote]

Yes you can modify the trim response, in the aircraft.cfg there is a line: "elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.00" which you can modify.- I set 0.30 and seems to work smoothly.-

IP Logged

soldano

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2009 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
JETPILOT wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 4:37am:
soldano wrote on Jul 11th, 2009 at 2:07am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ErZ1nakd0

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I am new to flight sim and didn't know you can modify it through the .cfg file.

Wouldn't that mean having to modify the .cfg file every time I switch aircraft? If so that doesn't seem like a real solution. It's also not a solution for those that don't know how to modify .cfg files.
If I pay alot of money for an aircraft I expect it to be an accurate simulation out of the box.

IP Logged

soldano

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
JETPILOT wrote on Jul 12th, 2009 at 7:10am:
I am new to flight sim and didn't know you can modify it through the .cfg file.

Wouldn't that mean having to modify the .cfg file every time I switch aircraft? If so that doesn't seem like a real solution. It's also not a solution for those that don't know how to modify .cfg files.
If I pay alot of money for an aircraft I expect it to be an accurate simulation out of the box.

I referred to the aircraft.cfg file, which is unique for each aircraft type.-

IP Logged

JETPILOT

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Oh.... OK.

I tried to change it in my .cfg file and it didn't work for some reason. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

IP Logged

soldano

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
JETPILOT wrote on Jul 12th, 2009 at 5:21pm:
Oh.... OK.

I tried to change it in my .cfg file and it didn't work for some reason. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Which .cfg are you referring at?  It must be the aircraft.cfg which you can find within each aircraft folder.-

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top