Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
This is just sad ( not what i ever wanted to hear) (Read 4283 times)
aafan

This is just sad ( not what i ever wanted to hear)
Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Microsoft cut ACES

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981

i am SO mad not more Flight Sim  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Tyrion

Aviation Student

Re: This is just sad ( not what i ever wanted to hear)
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
It is indeed a shame MS closed ACES, but it will not be the end for fs, I hope.

I quote:
"the company [Microsoft] noted: "You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great LIVE experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Yes Tyrion, but that quote seriously scares me.

As all of us who have simmed for years know, MSFS is not a "flying game" but a flight simulator.  Some die-hard simmers even refuse to buy FSX because of the "missions" that make it more like a game.

I fear that future Microsoft "flying games" will be kids play, similar to the air combat in EA's Battlefield 1942.  While fun, it's still not a Flight Sim.

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

Tyrion

Aviation Student

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Bob,
you're right in that, msfs isn't a flying game to us,
but you have to remember, to anyone not simming, it is.
Flight sim is now more than 25 years old,
and by official sources, fsx was a succes, so I don't think ms will completely stop the series.
If they did, they'd loose millions in profit on possible future fs versions.
And considering they're a commercial company, now firing thousands of people for financial reasons, I think they know that.
I to am worried about the future of msfs, but i don't think it's all over, just because of the closing of ACES studios.

Tyrion

IP Logged

Bob Markey

FS Addict

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Ultimately it is my hope that there are enough people from ACES with business sense and the ability to fund or obtain funding to start a whole new company devoted to sim products.  It would be nice to still leverage all their years of experience in the field AND get a whole ground-up re-write of a new simulator product.

And if MS was ever to sell rights to the product anywhere (which really is not something they do) it would be to former ACES members who start a new company to carry on the legacy.

In the meantime I'm just happy so many companies such as our friends at Captain Sim continue to work towards releasing new titles for FSX and that FSX is still new enough to keep going even without MS' help for a few (or several) more years.

NOTE: I'm on hiatus, concentrating on flight training.  Most of what I'm flying right now is a C172N similar to what I'm training in.  I'll try to check in and answer questions when I can, but please don't be impatient, I have other priorities right now! Cheesy&&&&I'm not a professional pilot, but I play one on the Internet!&&&&Captain Sim 757-200/-300/Freighter FSX (62.51 hours)&&Captain Sim 727-100 FSX (26.74 hours)&&Captain Sim C-130 X-perience FSX (15.05 hours)&&Hours last updated Aug 29, 2009 18:44Z.&&&&System: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, nVidia 9600GT 512MB, Windows XP 64-bit, FS9/FSX, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals&&&&Join us on the Ultimate Global Tour FSHost Server - 3000 Flight Plans to every country on every continent.  FSX users will need FSHostClient to connect.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top