Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Herk Drivers: Performance Question (Read 2686 times)
JDONLIN

Herk Drivers: Performance Question
Feb 21st, 2008 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Real World Herk crews,

1. I see from an old Air Force Technical Order that the standard takeoff flap setting is 50%. Is this always the case? Does it change with payload?

2. In the Performance appendix of the T.O, specifically the CLIMB charts, it refers to MAXIMUM CONTINUOUS climb power. Is this Maximum setting just firewalling the throttles or is it limited to T.I.T? Torque? Both?

Thanks!

Jim
Legendary C-130E, J
T.O. 1C-130B-1-1

AIM  
IP Logged

Joeflyer

Re: Herk Drivers: Performance Question
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
As long as the TIT doesn't get too high with max torque. With any turbine engine, you don't want to fry the thing by letting the ITT(as I call it...sorry, I'm a real-time C208 driver) get too high or you'll fry the engine. The Internal Turbine Temperature is crucial for the overall life of the engine(s).

&&

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Ex C-130 Aircraft Engineer

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Oh Herc drivers (and technitians) set which ever comes first.  Torque or TIT.  It varies considerably with the OAT and airfields altitude. Hot and high places will reach max TIT before max Torque and vice versa.

IP Logged

Joeflyer

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
How silly of me to leave out the OAT part Huh Thanks for filling in that crucial part, Dax Wink

&&

IP Logged

zlakarma

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Well gentlemen, CS FS2004 Herk model don`t simulate TIT correctly anyway, remember.  Cry

IP Logged

Joeflyer

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
zlakarma wrote on Mar 21st, 2008 at 1:56pm:
Well gentlemen, CS FS2004 Herk model don`t simulate TIT correctly anyway, remember.  Cry

Got a VERY good point there!

&&

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Ex C-130 Aircraft Engineer

Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I have just spent the last three weeks in hot and high conditions with my C-130 (C-130K with H model engines).  There is not a cat in hells chance that any simulation could correctly copy the real aircrafts TIT and fuel flow indications.  

You can never get all four engines to function with the same fuel flow and TIT indications.  No matter how hard the CS team could work at it, it would be impossible task to achieve.  Part of my training covered engine runs in the full all singing and dancing full motion simulator.  That even had the same readings as the CS model which I believe is based on the same simulator.

I sent the CS team a copy of a table from the Lockheed operating manual.  It gave expected indications for certain conditions.  This covered Fuel Flow, expected TIT against altitude, weight and temperature.  The number if different indications on the table would take a lot of include in any simulation.

To be honest I think the CS model is going to be the closest it will ever get.  A tweak here and there may help but in the end it is still a pretty dawn good product.

On another note some of the things we did in Albert can't be done on the sim. Boy it can't half fly in the right hands...I tried and on most occasions I cartwheeled down the runway or put the bottom of the frame through the runway.... Shocked Shocked

Dax

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top