Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Comments On the Space Shuttle?  Anyone? (Read 4571 times)
JB

Comments On the Space Shuttle?  Anyone?
Dec 25th, 2006 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Has anyone purchased the Space Shuttle and what do you think about it?
I'm considering it, but would like some feedback from people who have it.
Nick C. can't be the only one who has purchased it?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

loganpass

Re: Comments On the Space Shuttle?  Anyone?
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2006 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I think everyone's out flying (or is it falling in the case of re-entry?). I will echo the previous post which said "I don't know what I'm doing" but I am enjoying it! The visuals are up to CS standards, the documentation is deep and rather alien at least to this flightsimmer so there is a large learning curve. You quickly realize it doesn't become an airplane until very late in it's flight and things go pretty quickly in it's world! Couldn't begin to guess how accurate the FD's are modeled but it does have "handling". I have not as of yet landed on anything resembling a shuttle recovery facility but I'm not hitting the ocean as fast as I was so I'm taking it little bits at a time and am enjoying this new beast. With FSX's new boundries available, I don't see how anyone could pass on the oppurtunity to "Boldly Go" towards space with CaptSim!

IP Logged

SabreHawk

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2006 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Hehe, well I have to join the "dont know what im doing" club for now till I get a grip on the manuals descriptions of the procedures.
But I have to say that I have some unlearning to do as I have some experience with the free Space sim "Orbiter" which simulates real space physics. As I can already see FSX does not. And this product is sort of "cheating" the sim to an extent thru use of slew mode. But ya have to work with what FSX has(or has not rather)

What im unclear on the most so far is how they mean exactly to do orbital ops. It doesnt cover that in the manual other than to say that it can be done using the slew controls, but no further explanation. Undecided
And I see no type of instrument on board to measure if an orbit is achieved.
And another confusing thing is that it also says to take it out of slew temporarily to operate the animations ect. but then it says not to on the entry phase or it will mess up the auto sequence thing.

So it appears that one cannot do orbital ops for an orbit or two and then do the re-entry(at least not that I can see) as it would be all messed up and out of sequence or none at all besides not having a way to know where and when to enter. Again, no instruments for that kind of computation, only the GPS's I'd really like to know more in detail about simulating orbital ops

I was tricked for a while by the CRT's on the center front panel but I now relize they arent displaying any real info, the're just for show. The real instrument for the descent is the GPS's which has to be displayed by shift+7 & shift+8. They are not on the VC panel.
Well not much more to report as I do need to spend some more time in ground school with my nose in the manuals before I attempt another dive as the one I've tried ws just that.................all the way!!!!! Shocked ( No I never got close to KSC....... Grin)

IP Logged

pilot7893

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Absolutely stunning. Blows Orbiter out of the water, except for launch docking and other multi-vessel stuff(don't tell the guys on orbiter forum Cheesy)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top