Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Showing off the real deal. (Read 6253 times)
polcat

Re: Showing off the real deal.
Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Did you know that one of the variables for computing max effort landing ground roll (i.e. assault landing) is that it should take one second to go from landing attitude to nose wheel on the ground and also full reverse (if computing 4 reverse and not 2 reverse/2 ground idle)!  Needless to say, we still wait a potato before going over the hump, albeit a small potato Smiley

Polcat&&Herk Driver

IP Logged

P3_Super_Bee

Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Wow,  not a good day there.   Do they know if they are going to fly her again?   Damage doesn't look to bad for a strike.  But aren't all CG Hercs being replaced with the "J" model? Maybe Kodiak just gets a "J" earlier than expected?

&&

IP Logged

Carter

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:35am
Print Post  
I think it's going to be up to Lockheed at this point to decide if it's salvageable. They could use a good spares store though.

As for the 'J's, the only two are (last I knew) still in 'testing' down with AirSta E-City.

IP Logged

P3_Super_Bee

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Carter wrote on Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:35am:
I think it's going to be up to Lockheed at this point to decide if it's salvageable. They could use a good spares store though.

As for the 'J's, the only two are (last I knew) still in 'testing' down with AirSta E-City.

OK still in the testing stage...  Thanks for the info.

&&

IP Logged

Herc130

Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 12:11am
Print Post  
We're up to 6 C-130J's now.

Think the 2006 was the last bird planned on for now. They even have externals on em now. Still no flight engineer seat I think.  E-City is going operational with the J's this summer was my understanding. At least 2 of the 15xx's (H's to us, but think the AF refers to them as "Super E's") are going to the bone yard in a month or two and whatever 15xx leftover from E-City (1..2? and the one 17xx (H's) they have on loan from Clearwater) when they make the switch will go to Clearwater/Sacto. and Barbers/Kodiak will remain with just 17xx's.

The 1710 actually took structual damage and Lockheed may be able to fix it with alot of difficulties, but diffinently beyond our units abilities. Seen a bunch of pics of it being towed to the barge to get ferried back to Kodiak, was pretty interesting.

IP Logged

Carter

Reply #20 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 8:40am
Print Post  
(I painted the 2006 for the J... Tongue Externals now, I'll have to update things.)

So there's six 'J's at the APO. Are they going to refit them with search windows, or just rely on electronics (I.E. - Casper)? What exactly are they adding as far as tac stations and comm suites on the flight deck?

IP Logged

P3_Super_Bee

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Herc130 wrote on Mar 3rd, 2007 at 12:11am:
We're up to 6 C-130J's now.

Think the 2006 was the last bird planned on for now. They even have externals on em now. Still no flight engineer seat I think.  E-City is going operational with the J's this summer was my understanding. At least 2 of the 15xx's (H's to us, but think the AF refers to them as "Super E's") are going to the bone yard in a month or two and whatever 15xx leftover from E-City (1..2? and the one 17xx (H's) they have on loan from Clearwater) when they make the switch will go to Clearwater/Sacto. and Barbers/Kodiak will remain with just 17xx's.

So the aircraft S/N's are also designator's? 

15's =C-130E base model
17's =C-130H base model
20's =C-130J  base model

Didn't know that.

What base closed awhile back allowing I know Barber's and I think Kodiak to pick up an extra 130?  Can't remember,  I know for the longest Barber's only had two 130's, and I seem to remember they closed a base to allow Barber's to pick up a 130 and a -65 as well(didn't actually close the base to give them aircraft, they picked the aircraft up because of the closure)...  Or am I out to lunch?

&&

IP Logged

Herc130

Reply #22 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I think  since the windows aren't in yet, it's a done deal that it won't be fitted in later. Trooper doors have big square windows for scanning anyway. Casper....well for PIW searching, always best to get as many eyes out the plane and there is always the ramp and door if the scanner windows on the trooper doors get tiring. As far as I know, nav will now be TSO's as well, but that's tweet crap and all I wanna know from them is that they got the coffee and box lunches.  The SSO stuff will probably be moved forward right behind the 245, co-pilot side. Not sure on everything really, currently stationed in Barbers and have no intentions of ever going to J's myself.

15's are H's to us, but I think the Airforce refers to them as "Super E's". Pretty much, tey are the same as an H model except it  has a GTC instead of an APU as well as a few other things. No C-130 base has closed.  Barbers should have had 4 130's, but we had problems with PDM taing longer then they said they would, wingbox inspections, the 15xx's getting weight limited ( I think to 130,000) as well as a bird could have been deployed down south or to Guam, that yah you might only see 2 C-130s actually at the air station.

IP Logged

Carter

Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Borinquen? They're only down to helo's (it's been awhile).

IP Logged

P3_Super_Bee

Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Carter wrote on Mar 3rd, 2007 at 6:41pm:
Borinquen? They're only down to helo's (it's been awhile).

Yeah,  that may be it.  It has been a while ago.  at least 10/15 years ago...

&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top