Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Nose Gear failed to retract (Read 2939 times)
aa7373

Nose Gear failed to retract
Apr 11th, 2006 at 1:13am
Print Post  
I had something I've never seen before, after takeoff attempting to retract landing gear, the nose gear would not retract. The main gear did retract but the nose didn't. What was also interesting was that the gear indicators showed both mains up and nose down. I took a couple of screen shots. I'm working on reducing thier sizes in hopes to post them. Needless to say I relanded and restarted flight and the problem cleared up. I don't know what could have caused this. I checked my failures menu, didn't have any failures set for the flight. Anyone else had this problem?

John

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Ex C-130 Aircraft Engineer

Re: Nose Gear failed to retract
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 5:48am
Print Post  
If you bounce the nose gear on a rough runway it is enough to cause damage to the gear and it wont operate. Did you sink on landing. It has happened to me on a few modified airfields. Certain parts of the runway are rough and it tends to bounce just enough to cause the damage.

Dax

IP Logged

aa7373

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Come to think of it, I was on a dirt strip. I don't remember if it bounced too much though.

John

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
It doesn't need to bounce much at all. Sometimes I took it as the aircraft releasing from the ground.

Dax

IP Logged

AKC130FltEng

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I have the same problem going into gravel strips.  There is a modification you can try to do to eliviate teh problem.  If CS will allow me to post this here, cause you have to edit teh aircraft config.

[contact_points]
static_pitch=-0.4
static_cg_height=17.3
max_number_of_points=14
point.0=1, 30.21, 0, -17.4, 1500 , 0, 1.46, 65, 0.2, 1.2, 0.7,  9, 8, 0, 250, 300

Just edit that 1500 value to another value.  The mains value is 2000, but I don't beleive they have the same "bouncing" problem.  Just play around with it.  Let me know what happens.

Brian

IP Logged

sergios

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2006 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
how about trying to land her nice and easy?  Tongue Cheesy

I trust the CS, if the landing gear is damaged by my lack of control, then that happens also in RL. I have to deal with it! and get the taxpayers to payfor it  Grin

IP Logged

loadmaster

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 5:41am
Print Post  
I just had the same thing happen to me on takeoff out of Pope AFB on RWY 23.  It was a smooth takeoff, no bumps and nosegear failed to retract.  It caught my attention when the the nosegear indicator showed "in transit".  I went to external view and there it was, just blowing in the breeze.  So.. I made the most of it, I circled for about 20 min dumping fuel go get down to min gross weight, then got rid of the cargo since I cant shift it aft and hoped that it was down and locked.  I made a 100% flap approach and held the nose off the ground as long as i could and (of couse) the nose was not locked and it collapsed.  It might be a flaw in the system, but these things happen in real life... ALOT... and I think it made the sim more realistic.   Now, if we could just press a button to get the crash and rescue people to respond  Grin

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 7:28am
Print Post  
When I was based at RAF Lyneham we had a Mk1 shear it's nose leg off. (Corrosion under the stearing collar.) Boy what a mess it made of the pressure skin underneath.

Dax

IP Logged

loadmaster

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 2:39am
Print Post  
I never sheared one off, but I had so many landing gear malfunctions.  Me and that handle in the wheel well became good friends more then a few times  Grin

Dax, when you were at Lyneham, did you come over to the U.S. for the "Big Drop" excercise (sometime around 95 or 96)?   If so, I think we might have flown in the same formation.  If memory serves, it was somewhere around 100 C-130s, 21 C-141s and 6 C-17s in one huge formation.

IP Logged

David Sweetman

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Hi Loadmaster

I was at Lyneham from 1991 to 1994 and 1996 to 1999.
THe only exercise I did in the States was "Rodeo". That was 93. Thats was a laugh.
I have done plenty of other flights around the States but that was the only exercise I was involved in.

Dax

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top