Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Legendary 707's autopilot (Read 19825 times)
Syncopator

Legendary 707's autopilot
Apr 6th, 2006 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
No, I'm not reporting a software fault - I don't believe it is one.  And yes, I have looked all over the place on Captain Sims's site and can't find the answer to my question. 
And I have read the manual and think I understand it.

Although I can get the autopilot to follow the heading bug's setting  I can't get it to acquire a VOR radial or ILS.

Help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

skeating

Re: Legendary 707's autopilot
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
The basic problem with the 707 is that it has the wrong autopilot.  Sad
The 707 should have a Bendix PB20 but C.S. put in the Sperry from the 727 along with most the cockpit bitmaps to save themselves the extra cost and effort to get it right.  Angry

Hopefully when they re-release the product we will get the correct systems and panels. Roll Eyes

Steve

IP Logged

Syncopator

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Hello Steve, and thank you.

A pity, because otherwise it's a really great simulation.

IP Logged

jack

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I purchased the 707 a few weeks ago, and you are correct, the AP is whack. Looks like you are being ignored by the Captain. Or maybe they have their hands full with the 757 mess.......... Undecided

Jack

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Have you tried the fix available in our Support Section?

IP Logged

Jakobarnholtz

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Hi.

Could you C.S people be a little more specific?  Where is this fix?

A fix for the ILS problem will be most welcome, and make me use the otherwise wonderfully modelled 707 again ( I gave up when i got and tried out the aircraft in the first place, because of lack of ILS landing possibilities)

Kindly

Jakob Arnholtz  ( Keen CS repainter)

IP Logged

Captain Sim 2
CS Team

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Please browse this page for useful information: http://www.captainsim.com/cgi-bin/kb.pl?p=b707&i=21

IP Logged

Jakobarnholtz

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Hello again C.S

Nice to hear from you so swiftly.
I have already visited these pages but there is, no answer to my specific problem: The Captain Sim 707's lack of ability to intercept and follow ILS and perfom a ILS landing procedure.

If you have the answer to this, I will be more than happy.

As I ( And many 0thers!) have mensioned in earler messages: These problems aside, it is a wonderfull product and it is a shame that your fine piece of work suffers from those anoying shortcommings.

Kindly

Jakob Arnholtz

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The basic problem with the 707 is that it has the wrong autopilot.  Sad
The 707 should have a Bendix PB20 but C.S. put in the Sperry from the 727

The Boeing 707 has used BOTH types of the AP.

Quote:
along with most the cockpit bitmaps to save themselves the extra cost and effort to get it right.  

Not most but some, because the 707 and 727 flight deck frame and equipment are identical or very similar in some aspects.

IP Logged

CODY614

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 10:08pm
Print Post  

Strange.....I do it all the time.....Page 5 of the Operations manual, I had the same problem at first with GS capture....It wont just go looking for the GS,You must find it,I think we are spoiled with the new "High Tech Autopilots".
I learned to get setup on the localiser first, then go after the glideslope. It has to meet certain criteria before it will engage! I.E. "Real close to the proper pitch/airspeed/rate-of-decent.....I wish I could remember where I saw that, as his explanation was far more concise.
Seriously.....It will take a little practice to get it....
Hope this helps?

Jeff

IP Logged

skeating

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
The Boeing 707 has used BOTH types of the AP.
  Huh

I worked on 720s, 707-100 and 300(320, 320ADV, 320ADV with Improved Cowl, 320ADV with Stage 2 hush kits and 320ADV with stage 3 hush kitted JT3D-7 engines) from 1975 to 1998 as a ground maitainance engineer (FAA A&P and UK CAA Avionics) and flew 6,000+ hours as flight engineer on all different types but never once have I seen a 707 with a Sperry autopilot.
I have never been asked any questions about Sperry autopilots during any type technical exams and never seen any reference to them in Boeing maitainance manuals or Boeing or airline (TWA, Pan AM, NorthWest, BOAC, Air France, Lufthansa, Amercian, Pakistan, China etc, etc) operating manuals.

I have searched Airliners. net for pictures and searched google for information but cannot find any reference to B707s with Sperry autopilots. Maybe some obscure military version was fitted with one but I never heard of it.

Steve

IP Logged

draken1979

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2006 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I will add this? im no expert but should the ap alleron and elervator swtich work independantly?

if im wrong sorry. if im not why? this is also a problem with the 727.

IP Logged

skeating

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Draken
draken1979 wrote on May 25th, 2006 at 9:50pm:
I will add this? im no expert but should the ap alleron and elervator swtich work independantly?

if im wrong sorry. if im not why? this is also a problem with the 727.

On the 707 autopilot (Bendix PB20) the aileron channel in manual mode was controlled by the turn knob in the center of the A/P control panel and it looked like the big knob in the center of the Sperry (727) A/P but it only controlled roll.
The elevator channel was controlled by two interconnected thumb wheels either side of the turn knob, rotate wheels forward, houses get bigger, rotate wheels aft, houses get smaller.

Hope this doesn't get deleted (shouldn't do as this is freeware) but I'd direct you to the DM Fflightsim website at http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/ where you will find a nice freeware BAC1-11 which has the same A/P as the 707 and you can practice with it so you'll be ready when the "captains" put the correct one in the 707.

Steve

IP Logged

jdkirk904

Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 12:28am
Print Post  
After some time away from the 707, I decided to come back to the old girl and get some time in with her.  The biggest problem I have is when I am climbing and I activate the autopilot, I can not control the pitch with the controller (yes I downloaded the "apfix"), but the pitch controller will not function as it should. Sad  When I first bought the 707 (version 1.0), you had to click on the pitch controller just off center to the right, now with version 1.1, and the "apfix", I can't get the thing to do anything as far as up or down. Angry  I have followed the CaptSim forums for some time, and frankly am quite disappointed in the way the CaptSim personnel answer (or don't answer) their customers complaints.  They seem quite aloof in their answers, as if you interrupted their karma, or dropped a load on their dinner table.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy their products, to a degree (as long as they perform as promised).  It's just the attitude they exhibit in the answers would have put alot of other people on the unemployment roles.  Promising to fix a product and not delivering for what, 2 years now, can really get you a bad reputation as I have seen on alot of other forums.  I think the CaptSim personnel in charge should really consider getting their heads out of their four point of cantact, and start dealing with the people who keep them in business (THE CUSTOMERS), in a more professional and honest manner.  Of course this is all just one persons opinion. Smiley

IP Logged

Archie
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2006 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I also haven't been able to figure out how to use pitch hold. Also, when you have heading hold enabled with only ailerons engaged the autopilot keeps messing with my elevator trim. I have to fly manually until cruising altitude. I have apfix.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top