Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 TUTORIAL PUBLISHED!!! (Read 8019 times)
Chief Wiggum

TUTORIAL PUBLISHED!!!
Dec 22nd, 2005 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Guys,

The 'Legendary C-130' tutorial has been PUBLISHED!!! It features over 30 illustrations and 4 pages of easy to understand information. Check it out, now! Cheesy

http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/legendaryc130.html

Brought to you by www.fsstation.com !

IP Logged

Spiros Hazapis

Re: TUTORIAL PUBLISHED!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Hi,

I just went through the CS C130 tutorial. I think it is one of the best tutorials I have ever read for any add-on, period.
Very, very well done!

I have some very small additions - corrections to make, hope you don't mind Smiley

1. STARTING ENGINES - The engines are started at LOW SPEED GROUND IDLE (the green buttons below the THROTTLES are selected to the DOWN position) and then up-shifted when the engines are stable. The generators are selected to ON (RESET-ON in the sim) after the engines are up-shifted.

2. TAXI - Do not turn the AUX HYD PUMP off prior to taxi. The AUX PUMP is turned off after take off, when the landing gear is retracted. This happens for a reason - if during the takeoff run we lose the #1 and #2 engines, there will be no UTILITY hydraulic system and therefore no power to the normal brake system. The CP will the have to select EMERGENCY brakes to anable the P to stop the aircraft.

3. TAXI - Before taxi a good practice is to downshift the outboard engines to LOW SPEED GROUND IDLE. Then, downshift the inboard angines as well if you find that the aircraft wants to accelerate with the inboards @ NORMAL GROUND IDLE and a lot of braking is required. Avoid using brakes as much as possible (try to control speed with the engines) and do not brake in turns! (hard braking during a turn will require maintnance action).

4. TAKE OFF - for a normal take off 15 degrees of pitch during rotation is too much. Normal T/O attitude is 5-7 degrees. This will allow for a positive climb and expeditious acceleration past the two engine out minimum control speed, which is a major concern for the captain (loss of two engines below this speed can lead to serious trouble).

5. RADIO (or RADAR Smiley  ) altimeter - for CAT I ILS approaches the minimums (the minimum altitude) is ABOVE MEAN SEA LEVEL, not ABOVE GROUND LEVEL. So, DO NOT use the RA to determine the missed approach point for a CAT I ILS approach. Use the barometric altimeter instead (to be a bit more technical, CAT I ILS uses a DA (decision altitude), not a DH (Decision height)). BTW, does anyone know of an operator that has certified the HERC for CAT II-III ILS?

6. APPROACH SEQUENCE - Unless icing conditions are present, the C130 is configured (FLAPS @ 50% and landing gear down) at the INITIAL APPROACH FIX (IAF). This is the "point" where the actual approach is initiated.
There is no need to use any intermediate FLAP settings - as soon as speed is below 183 KIAS, select 50% FLAPS directly. For the vast majority of cases, the HERC has only three FLAP settings - 0%(UP), 50%(HALF) and 100%(FULL). The only reason to select lesser FLAP values is if you are approaching the IAF high and fast and want the FLAPS to help you slow down. In this case, you lower FLAP by increments of 10% for every 10 KIAS below 230 (so, at 220KIAS you can select FLAP 10%, at 210KIAS FLAPS 20% etc, until you reach FLAP 50%). So, to sum it up, plan to have FLAP 50% by 1 minute prior the IAF (that's approx. 3 NM at 180 Kts) and over the IAF select gear down (speed limit is 168 KIAS). FULL FLAP (normal landing config) can be selected "when the landing is assured" - I'll let you determine when this happens Smiley
Over the IAF:
     1. GEAR down
     2. Lights on (TAXI on, Landing lights EXTEND-ON. CAUTION - First extend the lights, then turn them on after a while)
     3. AUX HYD PUMP - ON
     4. Call for the BEFORE LANDING CHECKLIST
Of course the normal instrument flight actions over the IAF (Turn-Time-Twist-talk) apply.

Well, that's prety much it.

Again, many congrats for the wonderfull job you did with this tutorial. It was something trully missing.

Kind regards

Spiros Hazapis&&Athens, Greece&&&&C130 H/B AC, Hellenic Air Force

IP Logged

Black Cat

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for the excellent Tutorial, any way it could be set up in PDF format for download and printing ?

IP Logged

Chief Wiggum

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Spiros - I'll update the tutorial today! Smiley

Black Cat: The tutorial will be available in .doc and .pdf at AVSIM (possibly today).

IP Logged

Black Cat

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Spiros - I'll update the tutorial today! Smiley

Black Cat: The tutorial will be available in .doc and .pdf at AVSIM (possibly today).

Thanks, Your da Man !! Smiley

IP Logged

Flying Tigress

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Bravo! ... and Thank You!  Smiley

IP Logged

Zippy476

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
nice any chanse that we can get it in a deatailed checklist form so i can but it on the kneebourd

IP Logged

Chief Wiggum

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Spiros, I have just updated the tutorial with the information you provided. Thanks a lot man, check it out again please. Smiley

By the way, I haven't found a way to set a decision altitude in the CS C-130, so I had to use the DH (it's on the plate too). Well, it's better than nothing Smiley

Zippy476: The systems configuration part is in the "checklist style". You can just remove the images and sections you don't want. Smiley

IP Logged

Spiros Hazapis

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Hi,

just went through the tutorial again - it's right on the money! Excelent job!

As for the DA-DH issue, well, normally at the DA the radio altimenter should indicate the DH (if we are right on the glide slope beam), so, I guess, practically it won't hurt in the sim to determine the missed approach point using the RA instead of the baro-alt.

Regards,

Spiros Hazapis&&Athens, Greece&&&&C130 H/B AC, Hellenic Air Force

IP Logged

Chief Wiggum

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 1:36am
Print Post  
The tutorial is now available in .doc and .pdf at AVSIM:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=srulzon&CatID=root

IP Logged

J Vitaliano

Reply #10 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Excellent tutorial I think this will be of great use in the future.

JASON VITALIANO, vBGen, vUSAF&&Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC)&&Commander&&www.vusaf.org&&&&;&&&&Captain Sim Legendary Herk BETA Tester
IP Logged

freedspeak

Reply #11 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks Chief,
You've made me a happy man.

IP Logged

Black Cat

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The tutorial is now available in .doc and .pdf at AVSIM:

Great work  ! Wink

Any chance you can update the PDF at AVSim with the new engine start sequence that`s on your Site ?

thanks !!

IP Logged

Chief Wiggum

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
I'll see what is the file update policy at AVSIM. The tutorial there doesn't include the information provided by Spiros (thanks man!!!) and the new engine start sequence. I'll keep you updated.

IP Logged

Chief Wiggum

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
The AVSIM file is now updated. Check it out:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top