Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Fuel System (Read 363 times)
CaptnThud

Fuel System
Apr 23rd, 2024 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
It does some weird stuff when you try to use the aux or external fuel tanks. The engines will spool to max but after a few seconds no. 1&2 fuel flow gauges go right to the top and the torque gauges go right to the bottom, and after a few seconds it reverses, and 3&4 does the sane thing, and it will go back and forth until you pull the power down to idle. I hope I'm doing something wrong on the fuel panel. not really a problem it does have enough fuel for a 5+ hour flight, but some of us.....like me.....like to burn all the fuel out of one every now and then Smiley

Turbo Props Rock

IP Logged

CaptnThud

Re: Fuel System
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I found this post at c-130.net from 2013

There are two fundamental causes, the engine is losing power, or the propeller is demanding too much power (uncontrollable blade angle increase). You isolate which one by watching torque. The moment the the RPM begins to drop, does torque increase or decrease? If torque increases with an RPM decrease, then the propeller is demanding more torque than the engine can put out at that throttle setting, and the engine will die. If torque is dropping as RPM begins to drop, then the engine is putting out less torque than is required to support 25 degrees of propeller blade angle.

If you find the propeller is causing it, begin to look at things that can cause a blade angle increase, such as rigging, valve housing internal linkage interference, NTS linkage bad, torque retaining lug loose, valve housing failure.

If you find the engine is causing it, look for causes that either rob the engine of fuel or lots of air, such as the acceleration bleed air system, blown bleed air duct between check valve and diffuser, kinked fuel lines, clogged fuel system components, fuel control failure, etc. Anything that can affect the efficiency of the engine, such as turbine or compressor damage can also cause these issues. You may also have a malfunction related to the Temp Datum system. If TIT shoots up as the RPM drops, you very likely are losing a massive amount of air. If TIT is dropping as RPM drops, you are likely losing fuel. There really are many causes for this malfunction, so without more information, it is hard to get more specific than that. You must do a full performance run, operationally checking out every aspect of engine and propeller performance, then look at all the engine instrumentation at the time of the malfunction to determine the cause. Little things like the secondary fuel pump pressure light coming on, or the low fuel pressure light illuminating could be important pieces of the puzzle with this one.

however in my case it's all the engines

Turbo Props Rock

IP Logged

TorsteinE

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Seeing the same. Going into a crossfeed setup from aux or ext. makes the fuel flow fluctuate massively and regularly.

IP Logged

Jens

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I have experienced the same. And thanks for your detailed information, but I think there is a major bug in the modeling of the fuel system. This should be repaired.

IP Logged

paulh367

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Just went through a diagnostic process make sure your auxiliary tanks are empty in the MSFS load /fuel manager. this seemed to rectify this issue

IP Logged

paulh367

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
this is a workaround but you will have to fettle the fuel x-feed as has been already mentioned bugged

IP Logged

CaptnThud

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Yes if you shut off the cross feed valves for 1&2, and 3&4 but then it is running tank to engine. When the mains are empty it still has the same behavior

Turbo Props Rock

IP Logged

Beaver

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Hallo,
I tried serveral options with the Aux an external Tanks. Everytime those tanks are empty this bug doesn’t appear.
Seems to be a bug as so many other things not functioning!
Frustrating  Sad

IP Logged

qazme

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2024 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Yeah first long flight I've attempted. No matter what configuration you try the engine starve of fuel when using the crossfeeds. Ugh.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top