Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Ice warning gauge for B727 (Read 1467 times)
Slipstream1

Ice warning gauge for B727
May 22nd, 2022 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Hi there,
I have four aircraft I regularly like to fly in FSX one of which is CS 727 and I'm able to install Charles "Dutch" Owens ice gauge in the other three but no joy with 727.
The pop-up window is ok & I can even install it in the VC but the gauge itself doesn't work as in the other 3 aircraft, it stays permanently on "Severe Icing".

It's installed in the gauges folder of FSX & Rob Barendregt's Groundhandling gauge works well installed in that folder. I've tried renaming(both the folder & associated window lines) & placing in 727 panel folder but still no joy. I've run out of ideas but hope somebody here knows how to do it.
It'll be the icing on the cake for this aircraft because everything else works to my satisfaction.
Paul

IP Logged

Slipstream1

Re: Ice warning gauge for B727
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2022 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
"everything else works to my satisfaction."
Er, well not quite. A stall warning would also be much appreciated.
After time on more modern aircraft with autothrottle & MCP speed control, I was distracted after levelling out & fell out of the sky !

Paul

IP Logged

Slipstream1

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2022 at 2:43am
Print Post  
I may as well carry on this conversation with myself by adding another little niggle.
When the GPS switches on by itself it's indicative that I'll lose the avionics during flight. Usually I wait for a bit & it switches off, sometimes it doesn't. I've lost avionics in flight once but once is enough.
I came across a post by Markoz; Re: Avionics cut-off
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 1:50pm
but links to yabb go to a blank page. Cry
Anyway there's only 2 avionics lines in the aircraft.cfg so only 50/50 chance of getting it wrong. I deleted [avionics_bus=0,1,17] & since done a flight with no ill effects and the GPS stayed off until I hit avionics button. Long may it continue. Wink
I started talking about 3rd party gauge installing and it would be nice if somebody would let me know if there's something specific about Capt Sim panels.
As well as a working Ice Gauge, I'd like to install Manfred Jahn & co's GCA/PAR gauge because it's ideal for this generation of aircraft & allows poor vis landings at non ILS airports.

Paul

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2022 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
The modification that I originally used to solve the loss of battery power was using electric_always_available=1 under the [electrical] section of the aircraft.cfg, but I haven't used it in a long time.

As for the loss of Avionics (not a loss of battery/generator power), to stop that from happening, I use the default C172 in a cold and dark setting, except with the Avionics Switch ON. Doing that prevents a lot of add-on aircraft from losing the avionics during the flight.

Another way of doing it is to create a keyboard shortcut for Avionics master (on/off)

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Slipstream1

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2022 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Mark,
I've never had a battery problem with the CS727 and so I have
electric_always_available=0. Because of problems with other addons I've also added that line to FSX.cfg leaving me with only CS727 with intermittent avionics problems. Of course random issues are hard to solve but after deleting the avionics line as mentioned I've since not had GPS trouble.
I already have  a hotkey for avionics & previously once it was used to switch on, GPS remained on until end of flight no matter how many times I pressed the hotkey.
With the deletion of that line from .cfg I can now switch GPS on/off at will.  It'll take a few more flights to see if it's finally cured the problem. An observation is that avionics seems to become an issue when starting from more complex airports, it's almost as if vehicles & AI aircraft are interfering.

Paul

IP Logged

Slipstream1

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2022 at 2:11am
Print Post  
This is an update to my previous posts.
I still have intermittent avionics issues with GPS switching itself on & off. If the GPS is on when I start a flight, switching on the avionics hotkey anyway seems to stop loss of avionics in flight.

I've also added the aforementioned GCA/PAR gauge & it works perfectly, great for non-ILS airports in poor vis.

I've also added twin INS but still learning how to use it. I hadn't bothered with INS until now because it seemed the addon which came with CS version 2.7 wasn't complete so never used it.
The important thing is that I installed it correctly and after some glitches on other systems on the first run, it seems to have settled giving me the option of GPS or INS.

Lastly I've downloaded a B727-200 POH and using that, created a spreadsheet which includes everything you need for pre takeoff. I've used the amended EPR gauge & changed the .cfg weight & balance so the spreadsheet is pretty close to Boeing performance figures.
Using the Boeing charts & spreadsheet my take-offs are much less dramatic because trim, load & engine settings are better than using the V1 card.

I guess the point of this post is to try to convince Captain Sim that the FSX B727 is a great aeroplane and worth retrospectively tweaking things such as stall warning and ice system. I speak for myself when I say I intend to continue with FSX for now rather than consider the complexity & cost of a new system but i'm sure I'm not alone Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top