Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
P3Dv5.2 Out--Who's Going First? (Read 1458 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

P3Dv5.2 Out--Who's Going First?
Jun 9th, 2021 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Think I'm going to wait to see if it broke anything important to me. Looks like lots of good changes, though.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Steved

Re: P3Dv5.2 Out--Who's Going First?
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2021 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I guess the more relevant question is CS going to support it if it does break some of their products?

Sadly, if the CS P3D line does need fixes for 5.2 I don't see them happening in the foreseeable future.

We can already see that all P3D/FSX work has stopped since the release of the MSFS 777, and CS has already stated he's working on the 777-300 and likely the Freighter as well for MSFS right now.
I am quite sure after the huge sales in this new market as opposed to the piddely pocket change he was making in P3d, CS is already planning to convert the models for at least the 737, 767 and 757 to MSFS....where the market is much larger than it ever was in P3D.

Simply economics is driving the development roadmap here, and I foresee P3d/FSX products on indefinite development hold until all the MSFS sales opportunities have dried up.  Wink

I'm still waiting to purchase the 767 when the Freighter releases as its the only model I'm interested in.  I was hoping to buy it way back when the 767 development was hot-n-heavy, when it all of a sudden stopped...then we realized it was because the 737-200 was being converted to P3d as a -300 model to be pre-released for $60.  Then it's development also just ground to a halt...then we see the lovely 777 emerge from the ashes of P3D v3 (like a Phoenix) as a beautiful new MSFS model!  Smiley
Since then its been 100% MSFS, full steam ahead!

Let's collectively hope that 5.2, 5.2 HF1, HF2, etc won't break any CS products or I fear they'll become hangar queens. (or folks will just stay in the version of P3d their CS products are working in) Shocked

Regards,
Steve Dra

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 10:08am
Print Post  
You're probably right about that. They kind of shrugged off that question when 5.1 came out (although it turned out not to be an issue). If Captain Sim finds a golden egg in MSFS2000, good for them. But it would be a shame to see the P3D goose die. Even if it is more like our old hen Ginger, who still manages to lay an egg once in a while despite her advanced chicken years. Anyway, that's all speculation and it probably doesn't do any good to go in that direction.

I'm pretty happy with what I have, as long as they would finish the 737-300. (I've literally run out of CS P3D products to buy.) I think they should do that for loyal customers who invested in a prerelease product, which strongly implies a "released" 1.x product in the foreseeable future.

But I suppose my topic title wasn't clear enough. I have not upgraded (I just don't have problems with v.1) and won't until I know that all my CS products work just fine in P3Dv5.2. So I'm waiting for reports that v5.2 didn't break any CS things before I make the move.

So if someone did go to 5.2, please let the rest of us know how it went as far as CS airplanes go.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 10:10am
Print Post  
And, of course, make that "MSFS2020" not 2000.

IP Logged

drayton_k

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I have installed 5.2 and can confirm that the 757 CS product just crashes the sim. I dont use it much anyway so no big deal for me personally.
Cheers

IP Logged

Steved

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Tim Capps wrote on Jun 12th, 2021 at 10:08am:
You're probably right about that. They kind of shrugged off that question when 5.1 came out (although it turned out not to be an issue). If Captain Sim finds a golden egg in MSFS2000, good for them. But it would be a shame to see the P3D goose die. Even if it is more like our old hen Ginger, who still manages to lay an egg once in a while despite her advanced chicken years. Anyway, that's all speculation and it probably doesn't do any good to go in that direction.

I'm pretty happy with what I have, as long as they would finish the 737-300. (I've literally run out of CS P3D products to buy.) I think they should do that for loyal customers who invested in a prerelease product, which strongly implies a "released" 1.x product in the foreseeable future.

But I suppose my topic title wasn't clear enough. I have not upgraded (I just don't have problems with v.1) and won't until I know that all my CS products work just fine in P3Dv5.2. So I'm waiting for reports that v5.2 didn't break any CS things before I make the move.

So if someone did go to 5.2, please let the rest of us know how it went as far as CS airplanes go.

I don't feel CS will completely abandon P3D...but as long as there are models to move into MSFS, P3D products will remain on the back burner.
I honestly thought the other models would be popped out into MSFS faster than what they have thus far, figuring the 777-300 would at least be out by now.  Not sure what the delay is, but regardless, the revenue stream from the base 777 was undeniable as compared to any P3D release, and I can't see CS moving back to the 737 or 767 for P3d because there is hardly any revenue for that.   
The impulse buyers for those products have paid, I'm sure sales dropped off sharply after the initial hype, and the complete stoppage of any progress since the "Belle of the Ball" popped on to the scene also has deterred any others "on the fence" to hold off until CS proves they will continue development.
So with those parameters in place, its easy to see why CS has no real motivation to work on P3D items that will only bring in minuscule if any additional revenue, when there are 1000s ready to pay $30 for each model they pop out.
Well...not sure how CS will market and price the "expansions" to the "base" models, so maybe the 777-300 and 777F will be "expansion" prices, so maybe not $30 for "every" model, but certainly $30 per new base model for sure.  I asked CS how he was going to price the the expansions, no answer.

Anyway...unlike the 777 for P3D, which was truly abandoned when P3D updates came (which they always will), I think work on P3D products will eventually pick up once the MSFS revenue stream dries up.
I highly suspect that unless ALL the current P3d/FSX models have been converted to MSFS this year, CS' official statement for the 767F and CF6 as "Hopeful for a 2021 release" will morph into a "Hopeful for a 2022 release."   That is the only plane I'm interested in, so I "hope" it is ready by the end of the year.

Regards,
Steve Dra

IP Logged

drayton_k

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
UPDATE..Uninstalled and reinstalled the 757 and now working fine....

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
drayton_k wrote on Jun 12th, 2021 at 1:41pm:
UPDATE..Uninstalled and reinstalled the 757 and now working fine....

Thanks! That’s what we need to know. It would be nice if CS would just post a list of compatibility info, but that’s not their style. I’m sort of feeling like the wife who knows her husband has had a fling with a younger, prettier woman but has been hoping the marriage will hold together for the sake of the children  Shocked It would be almost a relief to see an announcement like there was for FSX saying there would be no further development for P3D products. You, know, while I’ve still got my looks  Grin

THINK OF THE  CHILDREN!  Roll Eyes

Aw, Captain Sim, ya know I can’t stay mad at you.

IP Logged

Steved

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Tim Capps wrote on Jun 12th, 2021 at 3:28pm:
It would be almost a relief to see an announcement like there was for FSX saying there would be no further development for P3D products.

I don't think they are ready for that yet....they will eventually run out of models to port to MSFS2020, then they'll need more sources of revenue, and it would be foolish to abandon the 767 and 737 as they have many more "expansions" to push out between the 2.  As for the 757...I see no more updates for that unless they are 767 updates that can be compatible with the existing 757 code.
I don't think CS has the skills to learn the new coding language for MSFS2020, so I don't see them developing systems, FMCs, Avionics for this platform, rather they will just continue to port their existing models as that is a very easy path to quick sales, and the sheer size of the MSFS market will keep them occupied with that for a while I believe.
I too wish they would make some kind of roadmap announcement, instead of letting us just speculate on what's coming for the next 12 months or so.
I'm still trying to figure out where the 777 for MSFS came from....it was from outaa' nowhere...no previews, no hints on facebook...just showed up on the commerce page.
We only knew something may have been up when they went silent on the 737 which was hot hot hot for a few weeks...then poof....nada, nothing...just like on the 767 before that.
Not sure what they are afraid of by communicating that info?

Regards,
Steve Dra

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top