Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Pitch control (Read 1185 times)
Tonitnt

Pitch control
May 21st, 2021 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Hello all,

I have searched through manuals, forum and google and didnt find this reported:

It seems the pitch autorithy is very small. Full elevator up or down doesnt make enough change in pitch. For example in rotation i need to pull all elevator and still rotation rate is slow.
My joystick axis is well calibrated and stabilizer trim setting is correct for takeoff.

On the other hand, stabilizer trim causes severe change in pitch.

All together means that i cannot control the flight manually without big pitch overshootings.

Any similar experienxe?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Re: Pitch control
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I use a CH flight yoke and have no handling problems. I've heard of other people describing just the opposite problem--the elevator being too sensitive. I do find the CH yoke and rudders to be a lot better than the joystick I used to use. I have flown the L1011 almost exclusively for nearly a year and am not having any handling problems at all. CS trim has been notoriously twitchy in the past, but I don't find it to be so with the L1011. Maybe I've just learned to "blip" it. So, this is a sort of "different experience" in answer to your question. I remember doing a lot of "driving like you stole it" practice by hand before getting it right--just touch-and-goes over and over and practicing the automated system. But I'm always on my trim button on take-off and have no complaints. When it's your favorite airplane, it's always hard to know what is a real problem and what you've just gotten used to or adapted to through experience. But I love hand-flying the L1011!

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
P.S. I assume you're not using any automation at all when you're experiencing this problem? You'll recall in the manual that when in take-off mode Mr. Lockheed offers some sort of weird "trim assisted" automation to get to and hold the proper pitch up that took me awhile to get used to. No load imbalances or anything? Setting your TO trim? Paul's Gauge is a good free addon that will give you values for that plus other good stuff.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Raul1011

Fly, Navigate, Communicate,
and cup a coffe!

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Hello L1011 captain's!

First of all apologies for my english.

I have used L1011 in FSX and in P3Dv45.
In FSX it was very difficult for me to fly in manual since no matter how much I configured the pitch control I could not get a good result.

In P3D something similar happens to me but the other way around , the trim behaves somewhat better, I still have to adjust the sensitivity.

I suggest you do a semi-automatic flight.

The AFCS Autoflight System of the L1011 has a mode called CWS (Control Wheel Steering) which is very practical when flying the plane manually.
Unlike the Autopilot mode, the CWS mode maintains the attitude of the aircraft based on the inputs it receives from the flight control, so that if you want to pitch, you just have to pull the control column and release it, the CWS will maintain the pitch you have set. With the control, the same with the roll, you add turn with the flight control and release it at the moment that interests you (roll angle) and the control will maintain that position until it receives a new input from your flight control.

It is a good system to fly in manual with the help of the autopilot, or better said manual flight control assisted by the AP. I use it for the approach phase, for example, or when I want to increase the roll more than normal or what the autopilot would do, on holding patterns, and vectors, and final segmen inclusive.

I hope it helps you  Smiley

i7 | RTX3060 | 32 GB | P3DV4.5

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I set the elevator trim repeat slider to one-half when I set up my buttons.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top