Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 767 Overspeed issue. Please help! (Read 4698 times)
BostonJeremy77

767 Overspeed issue. Please help!
Apr 13th, 2021 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Hi all, enjoying all of my newly purchased CS aircraft, but there is an issue with overspeeding on the 767 that I don’t have on anything else. Here’s my workflow and the issue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

1. FDs on, AT Arm, VNAV, LNAV on. Runway course set to HDG, V2 speed set to IAS/MACH dial.
2. Press TO/GA power setting on the buttons above flaps indicator.
3. Press SPD button to engage AT on takeoff.
4. Gear up, Flaps up on schedule, Engage Autopilot. Change power setting above flaps indicator to CLB. Then when at cruise, change it to CRZ.

Speed under control during climb in steps approved by ATC - change alt as required, pressing VNAV engages climb between steps.

Once at cruise, it just goes into overspeed despite FMC showing .801 as the speed setting in MCDU. Engaging SPD button to correct and roll speed back to .80 - nothing. Still keeps overspeeding.

The only remedy is to engage speedbrakes. About 1/2 speed brake gets me to Mach .80 which is fine.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?

IP Logged

Angel of Attack

Re: 767 Overspeed issue. Please help!
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Your T/O flow is wrong. however I doubt that along would cause real aircraft to overspeed. I thinke Real Boeing would have more thought about how the AP would behave when mishandled.

Try the proper flow to see if that works:
1.For 75/67, VNAV should NOT be armd on ground for TO
2.TO/GA button on TMSP should be select on pre-flight flow even before doors closed and engine started, but it's OK-ish to press here.
3.after lineup with runway and cleard for T/O, you should manually throttle up to about 1.1EPR, let the engine stable, and then press the EPR button above SPD button to engege AT.
  also, make sure you have turned F/D on on the ground, and the FMA shows       | TO | TO , before taking off.
4.Gears up, at Thrust reducing Altitude (above 400' at least, but normlly at 1000' , or 1500' for NADP), press VNAV or FLCH, the thrust mode should automaticly change to CLB, no need to press button on TMSP. lower the nose for speed up and retract flaps on schedule at accl alt.

IP Logged

BostonJeremy77

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Angel of Attack wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 1:31am:
Your T/O flow is wrong. however I doubt that along would cause real aircraft to overspeed. I thinke Real Boeing would have more thought about how the AP would behave when mishandled.

Try the proper flow to see if that works:
1.For 75/67, VNAV should NOT be armd on ground for TO
2.TO/GA button on TMSP should be select on pre-flight flow even before doors closed and engine started, but it's OK-ish to press here.
3.after lineup with runway and cleard for T/O, you should manually throttle up to about 1.1EPR, let the engine stable, and then press the EPR button above SPD button to engege AT.
  also, make sure you have turned F/D on on the ground, and the FMA shows       | TO | TO , before taking off.
4.Gears up, at Thrust reducing Altitude (above 400' at least, but normlly at 1000' , or 1500' for NADP), press VNAV or FLCH, the thrust mode should automaticly change to CLB, no need to press button on TMSP. lower the nose for speed up and retract flaps on schedule at accl alt.

Thanks, I will try your flow later tonight. I do have FDs enabled and TO TO mode is shown, so that was always in line.

From my understanding, VNAV activation depends on airline policy - some airlines require it to be activated on the ground, and some give you a little more flexibility on that, but I am not positive that it's the case with a 767. The weird part is that I am not experiencing this overspeed issue on the 737 by CS, or the 757 by CS, or on any Boeings by another company, so this is something that has happened twice (both flights I have ever done on the 767) and it has me puzzled.

Even if the TO procedure is not exact, once I press the SPD button and preset my speed to .80, the AT should then adjust the power level down to get out of that overspeed condition, no? And if I am not in the SPD mode but in VNAV in cruise and I have the VNAV SPD annunciator lit up on PFD, it should really follow the setting from the FMC, no? It just seems that even if something during takeoff wasn't done 100% by the book, I should still be able to select SPD mode and it should reduce the power to attain the setting I have dialed in, right?

The weird thing is I don't really get this issue on descent. Once I begin descent, the speed management seems to not really be an issue, especially when I am getting close to final and gradually reducing the assigned IAS via the dial - everything is followed exactly as expected.

IP Logged

BostonJeremy77

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 4:00am
Print Post  
Ok, just tried your workflow for TO and the same thing is happening with overspeeding. I am at a loss. It’s not a complete deal-breaker, but it’s less than ideal having to fly on speedbrakes the entire cruise. Considering this doesn’t happen with any other aircraft, it makes it less appealing for me to fly the 767 unless I can get it to stop overspeeding.

IP Logged

Alex T

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
BostonJeremy77 wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 4:00am:
Ok, just tried your workflow for TO and the same thing is happening with overspeeding. I am at a loss. It’s not a complete deal-breaker, but it’s less than ideal having to fly on speedbrakes the entire cruise. Considering this doesn’t happen with any other aircraft, it makes it less appealing for me to fly the 767 unless I can get it to stop overspeeding.

Can you possibly take some screenshots of your MCP and PFD while this all happens?

YouTube  
IP Logged

BostonJeremy77

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
This is what I have from the latest flight.

2021-04-13__2_.png ( 1326 KB | 133 Downloads )
2021-04-13__2_.png

IP Logged

BostonJeremy77

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
One more interesting thing is that toggling VNAv seems to have fixed the issue on a subsequent flight. Just VNAV off, then back on. It started reducing speed.

IP Logged

youngie767

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 9:19am
Print Post  
I'm also having the same issue. I followed the procedure as per your instructions but it climbs like a rocket and accelerates to 300+kts in no time flat. I can bring it under control fairly quickly but not ideal, particularly with the 250/10000 restriction.
It's possible I've missed a step but am at loss to know what that is.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers Steve

IP Logged

Alex T

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I've definitely never had this issue. Can you save your flight right before takeoff and send the files? The .cs.config and the .fxml

YouTube  
IP Logged

youngie767

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 1:52am
Print Post  
G'day Alex

The files as requested

Cheers Steve

IP Logged

youngie767

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 2:14am
Print Post  
G'day Alex, I have the files but unable to attach due to unsuitable file format. 

Cheers Steve

IP Logged

Alex T

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 3:35am
Print Post  
In a zip?

YouTube  
IP Logged

youngie767

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Didn’t see that inclusion  Undecided. One thing l did notice last night is that when l selected VNAV after t/o, the IAS immediately jumped to climb speed and disregarded the 250/10000 restriction

IP Logged

youngie767

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Files as requested

fxmlconfig.zip ( 19 KB | 69 Downloads )

IP Logged

Alex T

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I just did that flight and VNAV (sort of) worked as expected. It didn't capture properly at 1000ft AFE but I believe that is a captain sim issue. Again most airlines don't allow VNAV selected on the ground on the 757/767 so I've never tried that before. I recorded a video and I'm uploading so you can see. One issue I would say is you had max takeoff power selected, which at that weight is a lot. I could barely keep up with how fast the airplane was accelerating (which you'll see I was late retracting the flaps). A de-rated TO-1 and CLB-1 would've probably been perfect.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top