Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Loving CS in P3Dv5 (Read 5569 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Loving CS in P3Dv5
Nov 6th, 2020 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
I have a new computer from Falcon (very pleased), P3Dv5 (and MSFS, which is... different, but nice) and the CS L1011 II is the first airliner I've chosen to remaster. I'm shocked at how much I've forgotten in just six years. Granted, I'm now 63, and expect a little decline in cognitive ability, but it took me, oh, several hours to figure out how to set the parking brake. (No, I don't like to read the manual, but figure out how things work, and yes, I loved every minute of it, and of course I knew where the handle was, but learning the the way the hydraulics work was great!) Last night I watched the engine start video a couple of times and was able to add that to my accomplishments. I'm still working on the INS, but think I've got it. I remember the more complicated freeware one I used in the past, but think this one hits the sweet spot.

I am very happy with what CS has done with the L1011 II. I started with it because (1) I liked it in FSX, and (2) I want to learn the hard way--the classic SID-by-radio-nav way. (And yes, I do read the manual.) I have the CS 757 III in the hanger for now--it looks beautiful, but first the classic. Huh. If a 1970s airliner is a classic, I guess that makes me vintage, if not Jurassic!

And I wanted to compliment CS also on the company paint for the 757 III. The "bee" livery is so striking I'm not even in a hurry to change it. I think CS is serving the Prepare3D community in a way I don't see any other developer doing. I look forward to a 737 II and 727 II.

MSFS is impressive, and fun for GA flights. I think LM is in for the long haul with P3D, though, and it will be a long time before MSFS will kill it off, if ever. With ORBX Global Base, Vector and LC it doesn't look bad at all, plus I have a few--okay, several--add-on airports in Europe. I made a GA flight from Palermo to NAS Sigonella (near Catania) and Sicily looked much as I remembered it from many flights when I was stationed there.

Weather in P3D still needs improvement, I think, but maybe I'll look into an add-on for that later. And I like the FSX familiarity.

So far, so good, and I have had devs solve every problem I've run into with their scenery--I even got a free Heathrow v5 from Simmarket after explaining I was having trouble with the v4 I didn't even buy through them! They said, "Thanks for being a good customer."

I think despite all the apparent chaos, we're in a good place for the hobby right now. For me, CS has been and continues to be a big part of that. Keep up the good work. Maybe in a week or two I'll actually be able to do an L1011 flight and land at one of those add-on airports I bought!

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Re: Loving CS in P3Dv5
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Thank you Sir!

IP Logged

CoastalDriver

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Good stuff Tim. I can say that with a new PC with high end NVIDIA graphics card that P3DV5 .1 is simply amazing after struggling along with all the glitches and problems of 32 bit FSX a dedicated 64 bit program is a delight - that is it does what it says, runs smooth as silk and has great functionality. I like EA, dynamic water and the True Sky and with FSWX plugged in it is very nice indeed  and ORBX completes the setup.

Alas the only Captain Sim product in the sim is the one they did for LM - the C130 which is a bonus but I am not into the widebody types so I have not got the Tristar or the 777. I might look at the 757 but the issue there is nobody in OZ every operated the type so it lacks appeal for somebody whose simming is focused on Australia, Asia and the Pacific.

Thinking about it how much interest and need would there be for the now 62 year old B707,  the 56 year old B727 or the 51 year old B737-200s all of which have long gone from our skies for real. So I can see why Captain Sim is in no hurry to get these working in P3DV5. A shame but the way it is.

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
CoastalDriver wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 1:31am:
Thinking about it how much interest and need would there be for the now 62 year old B707,  the 56 year old B727 or the 51 year old B737-200s all of which have long gone from our skies for real.

I doubt they'll return to our virtual skies, either. Customers want glass. Man, I feel old. Cathay Pacific operated L1011s. The more I fly it the more I love it. One of Captain Sim's best ever IMHO. Even if they never give it the complete update, it was great in FSX, and it's great in P3D. I ran across a bunch of old screenshots of all those oldies. Sort of sad. If the L1011 is "only a port," count me in on her stablemates whenever.

Always good to see old familiar names!

Still haven't flown the 757 III or 767 II I have. (I reviewed the originals both for AVSIM and liked them in FSX.) I'll pick up the 777, too, before Christmas. But I'd rather really master one airplane this time rather than bounce around like I used to. And the L1011 is pretty challenging. Still, I like to try support a good dev, and Captain Sim is really one of the nicest outfits in the business. I could tell you a story about just how nice, but I'll keep it to myself.

Anyway, if you ever have an itch for a classic jetliner, the L1011 will scratch it good. Although Lockheed's implementation of automated flight takes a while to get used to!

I'm still not sold on EA even under HF1. I can get a prettier sky full of clouds and not worry about unpredictable lighting, etc. It's close for me, but I've been using EnvTex and EnvShade--pretty cheap and looks nice. I'm sure it's different with weather, though.

(HF1 messed with mesh around airports, too, I'm convinced. Now there's a sheer drop at the end of runways.)

When HiFi puts Active Sky on the market, I'll be watching that closely. You're right about Orbx. I have Global Base, Europe LC, England EU plus Buildings and Trees. Heck, for a high-flyer, or even VFR, it's not bad looking at all. Only been flying the Court Line TriStars EGGW Luton to LEMD Madrid (LatinVFR has a nice version, especially the non-PBR.)

Yeah, I'm happy to be able to throw the horsepower at P3D now. Moving to 64-bit was necessary. As are the growing pains. Keep the shiny side up, CD!

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

PeteFly82

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2021 at 6:44am
Print Post  
CS 737 classic release 1.0:
Very happy to see that CaptainSim is further developing the P3Dv5 products  Smiley
My feelings tell me now, the 767-300F could be the next P3D update of CS  Grin

IP Logged

Stefan Blei

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Hello together here,

so far i am also satisfied with the product range for P3D V5, because there are some planes no other developer programmed yet (737-300, 757 (despite the old QualityWings one)).

I hope they will fix the 757 issues (VNAV decent, coupled Autothrottle Hardware/Software) soon, because i love this aircraft and it is a shame to fly without a functional VNAV.

Best regards

Stefan Blei

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
After getting lots of time in with the 737 Classic, as well as the 757 III and 767 II, I find I like the first best of all. It needs some work still, but it has a lot of character and some refinements that are new to it. I have been flying the 737 Classic in Europe and some flights in the U.S. and South America (Sao Paolo, Brazil to Santa Cruz, Boliva & then on to Bogota, Columbia). I enjoyed last ones more than the 757 flights. There are some "interesting" approaches into SLVR and SKBO and the autopilot wasn't quite up to the finals there, but got me close enough to take over manually without drama. For less twisty approaches it does fine. Very happy I bought pre-release. Who knows? This might be the last P3D release for CS. There's no reason it can't be their best. The Classic really fills a gap in my lineup.

IP Logged

Mets737

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2021 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
WE NEED A 727 FOR V5

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2021 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Mets737 wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 10:20pm:
WE NEED A 727 FOR V5

The people have spoken. They want glass. (But I'd buy it!)

IP Logged

trevors

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2021 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Stefan Blei wrote on Jun 18th, 2021 at 4:19am:
I hope they will fix the 757 issues (VNAV decent, coupled Autothrottle Hardware/Software) soon, because i love this aircraft and it is a shame to fly without a functional VNAV.

I sincerely hope so too. Otherwise, I would see it as a kick in the face!

Trevor

IP Logged

Stefan Blei

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Hello,

the VNAV has to be fixed urgently and with high priority (mainly the overspeed issue in VNAV descent) and also the issue with the moveable hardware throttle axis when A/T is engaged. In the 767/737 you can see that they are capable to do that. That should be fixed for free for the 757 to satisfy customer needs that spend about 200$ for alle upgrades.

But i also hope they bring the 767-stuff like PBR, Wingflex and 4K-Texture to the 757-Series. Regarding this i would say these are upgrades and i would pay for such an improvement additionally.

Kind regards

Stefan

IP Logged

Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I’m curious. Is it just overspeed or is it missing descent points and speed restrictions or something else? The reason I’m asking is because I don’t seem to have this problem (although VNAV was pretty broken when the original 757 first came out, as the record of this forum shows).

IP Logged

Mets737

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Still praying for a 727 for v5

IP Logged

sharkwhite

Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 10:54am
Print Post  
dont think vnav will ever be fixed at this point Cry