Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Updating L1011 (Read 4692 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

Re: Updating L1011
Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 5:32am
Print Post  
I really do sympathize. I think what we're going to see is that updates from 3 to 4 to 5 to... whatever, are going to be new charges from devs. Captain Sim plays its cards close to its vest. Other devs are a bit looser with info and have spoken of the huge number of changes needed just to make things work in 5.0.

Is CS making best use of what's available now with 5.0? Let's say "no." Somebody said PBR doesn't matter because it's added to everything now. There are indeed improvements, but you can do still more with it, as we've seen, so I wouldn't say it's a non-issue. One dev has dropped custom paints on vehicles in 5.0. Some airports are getting non-PBR versions made available because it really hurts performance. So I do think there are significant issues in the jump.

Did they take the opportunity to fix all the known issues? Let's say "no" to that, too. I don't think those answers would be unfair.

Is the L1011 a bad product? I didn't think so in FSX, and don't in P3D--mainly because it's pretty much the same  Wink On the other hand when I fire up the L1011, I don't get a splash screen demanding that I reduce my settings down to 4xMSAA. (I think 4xSSAA is the minimum to keep a sharp VC.) Does that happen with a certain shiny new airplane? Let's say, "Yes."

Granted, I've only had to buy it twice.

If you follow the discussions elsewhere, we have a major dev with 50 employees telling P3D users (I'm recalling the New York headline about President Ford) to DROP DEAD more or less, because there's "zero revenue" to be had in P3D. We NEED P3D devs, and I'm willing to cut CS some slack because they're at least supporting us. I'm taking note of who is and who isn't and even if anything worth flying comes to MSFS (a year from now at the earliest) I'll remember who my friends are and who threw me under the bus. (That goes for scenery now, too.)

I'm not criticizing anyone's buying decisions. I'm blessed to be able to buy what I want. I get that. It helps make up for getting old  Wink But if it becomes a discussion of policy, I think there's a bigger picture that matters to me. I hope we see the whole catalog updated to 5.0 first, then they show some love to those wonderful older products and yeah, charge for an "enhanced version" if it is significantly better.

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

Wings of Gold

Re: Updating L1011
Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2021 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Please explain "buggy product".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top