Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Problem with flight deck lighting at night (Read 5600 times)
Scholli04

Problem with flight deck lighting at night
Jan 25th, 2019 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Dear captainsim,

I'm putting this here and not in the bugtracker as I suspect something has to be wrong on my side and not with the 757. I hope you can help me nonetheless.
When I turn on any of the backlights many parts of the panel become rather bright while others stay pitch black as they should.

Please have a look at this picture:

As you can see the aft overhead panel is still black and the main panels are still dark as well while most of the flightdeck as well as the overhead is quite bright.
All my other addon aircraft are just as dark as the aft overhead panel and the mainpanel and that's how dark I want them to be.

Do you have any ideas as to what the issue with the bright parts may be and how to solve it?  Smiley

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Re: Problem with flight deck lighting at night
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
The only issue I see on the screenshot is the glareshield and the main panels FLOOD and PANEL lights are OFF. To start, at least one of them must be ON because all lighting was modeled/balanced for standard lighting settings.

2. Appearance adjustment is up to users' preferences. There are different ways to control the lighting, including the deault keys. Try them all.

IP Logged

logan3db

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Scholli04 wrote on Jan 25th, 2019 at 8:12pm:
Dear captainsim,

I'm putting this here and not in the bugtracker as I suspect something has to be wrong on my side and not with the 757. I hope you can help me nonetheless.
When I turn on any of the backlights many parts of the panel become rather bright while others stay pitch black as they should.

Please have a look at this picture:
https://i.imgur.com/UqMkDXh.jpg

As you can see the aft overhead panel is still black and the main panels are still dark as well while most of the flightdeck as well as the overhead is quite bright.
All my other addon aircraft are just as dark as the aft overhead panel and the mainpanel and that's how dark I want them to be.

Do you have any ideas as to what the issue with the bright parts may be and how to solve it?  Smiley

Ok, I'm going to attempt to hit all the lights to help you out, if I miss any I apologize.

To turn on the main panel instrument lights, you would need to turn the dial labeled Panel.  This is located near the chart in the window.  Flood will turn on the flood light for the main instrument panel.  Same goes for the FO lights.

To turn on the back lighting of the MCP and VOR control heads you would need to turn the outer knob labeled GLARESHIELD - located on the bottom left over head left of the exterior lights.  The inner knob will adjust the flood lighting of the same panels.

Just to the right of that is the AISLESTAND light adjustment, these two knobs will adjust the back lighting and flood light of the throttle quadrant, FMCs and radios.

Also on the same panel is the LT OVRD button, this over rides all settings of the lighting knobs and turns everything on at full brightness

On the right side of the exterior lights are the CKT BKR, OVHD PANEL and DOME knobs.  To turn on the back lighting of the overhead, turn on the CKT BKR.  OVHD will turn on the back lighting of the overhead panel, and DOME turns on the dome lights. 

I think that hits all of them and their effects on the lighting in the flight deck.  If you need any more help lemme know!

IP Logged

Scholli04

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 9:16am
Print Post  
My issue is not that I don't find the lights, my issue is that parts of the VC are brighter than others with all lights off.
When I turn lights on it looks like this:

Here, too, it looks like there would be some kind of a flood light on for the whole VC, but there isn't.
During night time takeoffs and landings the cockpit should be kept as dark as possible to enable your eyes to adjust to the outside. But your plane looks like there would always be some kind of a flood light on.

IP Logged

logan3db

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
For that setting I would turn down the flood light on the Captain and FO.  That will get rid of the lighting on the main instrument panel.  Only turn on the PANEL lights for the back lighting.  For the EADI and EHSI on the EFIS control panel are the brightness controls for them.  The top brightness knob controls the EADI and the bottom knob controls the EHSI so you can dim those appropriately.  The EICAS dimmer is on the forward aisle stand.

Also, I think your DOME light is on a little bit creating that flood light effect, since that is pretty much what the DOME light is.

So if you want to darken your flight deck, turn down or off the flood on CA and FO side.  Turn off the DOME light, and turn down the EADI/EHSI/EICAS screens and it should get you to a level you're looking for.  *Note* it seems like the DOME light is only on/off, on my end there is no brightness level to it. 

Let me know if this hit anything or if it was a total miss again.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Scholli04 wrote on Jan 26th, 2019 at 9:16am:
My issue is not that I don't find the lights, my issue is that parts of the VC are brighter than others with all lights off.
When I turn lights on it looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/GBIFWoQ.jpg

Here, too, it looks like there would be some kind of a flood light on for the whole VC, but there isn't.
During night time takeoffs and landings the cockpit should be kept as dark as possible to enable your eyes to adjust to the outside. But your plane looks like there would always be some kind of a flood light on.

When I turn off all the lights in the 757-III PW/RR/F, in FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4, the OH panel is just as dark as all the rest of the panels. It was the same, regardless of engines running, and Taxi lights ON/OFF, and Landing Lights ON/OFF.
I don't know why there appears to be a light still on somewhere that's illuminating the OH panel.

Note. It interesting that once I turn on a single panel light (not a flood light), that the entire cockpit glows brighter, and I can see the OH panel more clearly than the panel I turned the light on for.

2019-1-27_12-53-58-322.jpg ( 140 KB | 104 Downloads )
2019-1-27_12-53-58-322.jpg

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Scholli04

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
logan3db wrote on Jan 26th, 2019 at 5:48pm:
For that setting I would turn down the flood light on the Captain and FO.  That will get rid of the lighting on the main instrument panel.  Only turn on the PANEL lights for the back lighting.  For the EADI and EHSI on the EFIS control panel are the brightness controls for them.  The top brightness knob controls the EADI and the bottom knob controls the EHSI so you can dim those appropriately.  The EICAS dimmer is on the forward aisle stand.

Also, I think your DOME light is on a little bit creating that flood light effect, since that is pretty much what the DOME light is.

So if you want to darken your flight deck, turn down or off the flood on CA and FO side.  Turn off the DOME light, and turn down the EADI/EHSI/EICAS screens and it should get you to a level you're looking for.  *Note* it seems like the DOME light is only on/off, on my end there is no brightness level to it. 

Let me know if this hit anything or if it was a total miss again.

The flood light is at the minimum level already in those screenshots. It doens't get any darker, the next position is OFF.
It worked much better and could be turned much darker in the initial release version, but since CaptainSim introduced the lights that are visible during daylight I can not get the floodlight any darker anymore.

The displays are also completly turned down already. No darker display possible.
Otherwise I'd surely love to turn it down further!

The dome light is OFF in my picture! Captainsim did not implement the variable brightness, it is simply an on/off function.

IP Logged

Scholli04

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Jan 27th, 2019 at 1:55am:
Note. It interesting that once I turn on a single panel light (not a flood light), that the entire cockpit glows brighter, and I can see the OH panel more clearly than the panel I turned the light on for.

Indeed, this is something CS should look into. Looks like a bug to me.

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Scholli04 wrote on Feb 1st, 2019 at 9:13am:
Looks like a bug to me.

It's all about perception. We believe flight deck is NEVER blind black if you have at least one source of light ON.
But anyone is free to make his cockpit as dark as he wish. All you need is to darken all _LM.dds textures dated 10DEC2018 (all 20 of them, but they are identical).

But pls note, if you'll darken the LMs you'll make the pit look worse in dawn/dusk.

IP Logged

Scholli04

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Captain Sim wrote on Feb 1st, 2019 at 4:26pm:
All you need is to darken all _LM.dds textures dated 10DEC2018 (all 20 of them, but they are identical).

But pls note, if you'll darken the LMs you'll make the pit look worse in dawn/dusk.

Cheers, thank you Captain Sim! Am I allowed to upload the edited files here in case other users also want to use them?
With the domelight now working during any time of the day I do not find this as much of a problem anymore as it was previously.

Could you also tell me which files to modify to get the back of the flightdeck dark in the freighter?

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Scholli04 wrote on Feb 1st, 2019 at 5:17pm:
Am I allowed to upload the edited files here in case other users also want to use them?

Yes, but the 757 MODS section would be better.

Quote:
Could you also tell me which files to modify to get the back of the flightdeck dark in the freighter?

Just the _T02_LM and some areas on the _T01_LM and _T03_LM
Located ...\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B757-200PF-III_PW2037\texture\

IP Logged

Colvale

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2019 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Have no issues with cockpit lighting at night.Works perfectly adequate for me

My_lit_cockpit.JPG ( 218 KB | 173 Downloads )
My_lit_cockpit.JPG

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top