Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
This may work as a substitue for FMS (Read 3259 times)
Omid

This may work as a substitue for FMS
Nov 6th, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Hi guys
I've been trying to avoid creating a new topic by sifting through the existing topics to add this to, but I couldn't find a directly related one.
I might as well be a bit too excited about this revelation and I suspect you folks out there may have already worked this out; so, dear admin please feel free to delete my topic if you find it inappropriate!
I've been using ProATC-X to create flight plans including SIDs and STARs and when you put your 727 in GPS mode the aircraft follows the exact waypoints and intersections including those of the SIDs and STARs beautifully.
It's interesting because with ProATC-X (I don't know of any other third party ATCs) the STAR is assigned in-flight and the GPS path immediately gets updated to reflect the STAR waypoints!
Now a couple of things to remember:
1. you won't have the luxury of VNAV, so your vertical navigation is up to yourself to manage; however the ATC will guide you with altitudes and restrictions are shown in a table just lower left of the screen in ProATC environment
2. you need to have updated your FSX NavAid database so that the ATC software (which is loaded with AIRAC database) can talk to your GPS and insert the waypoints; there are free DBs available to download but I'm unable to provide direct links as this is only my first post; anyhow I'm happy to share my source when I'm allowed (I'm sure many of you already know about them anyways)
3. by the same token you'll be able to fly ANY aircraft not equipped with a FMS using the above method

Sorry for sounding a bit excited about something this simple, and most specially with my first post.
Any ideas??

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: This may work as a substitue for FMS
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Thanks for that. It sounds like a really nice addition to flight simming. I'm not sure if I've ever heard about ProATC-X before, but I will have a look at it anyway.  Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

X6FS_Iain

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
You might try SimBrief. Download plan from it to be used in FSX. Will be able to use it in gps, not sure about Nav mode.
Smiley Grin

IP Logged

David Paul

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I just bought Pro-ATC and it does have some cool functions.  It is wonky as heck, though.   

And it is true that SimBrief can export a flight plan complete with SIDS and STARS in FSX/P3D format, which will allow you to use the GPS to fly the SID/STAR in the 727.

I5-6600K @4.2 GHZ | GTX-1070 | 32GB RAM | Windows 7/10 Dual Boot on SSD and M.2
FSX-Acceleration | P3D 4.5 | MSFS 2020

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 3:36am
Print Post  
I have created flights with the default FS Flight Planner (using user waypoints by draging the route line to a posintion acting like a SID and/or STAR), Flight Sim Commander 9, and Pro Flight Planner X (those last two provide proper SIDS and STARS).
Loading them using the default FS Flight Planner, and using the GPS nav mode achieve the same desire as the OP achieves with ProATC-X. Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top