Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Tuning ILS Frequency (Read 9770 times)
expat

Tuning ILS Frequency
Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Searches here and there have me confused.  Believe you can't enter ILS frequencies on the VOR radio panel (pop up and in center console in VC), however, when I try to input them to the CDU as in post #3 in this other thread:
http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1484252771

for some reason the keys don't work and nothing changes.  Mark has separately helped me use the CDU to import either an FSX FP  and/or input a simple "direct to" route.  I would now like to be able to simply tune the ILS landing runway frequency when approaching an airport (rather than adding this with all the longer CDU inputs on departure) so that the AP captures the loc and GS.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: Tuning ILS Frequency
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Two posts below the link you provided, is another reply of mine, which explains how to manually enter VOR, and ILS frequencies, and headings/radials:

Markoz wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 8:55am:
Open the CDU, and click on the NAV RAD button. There you can enter the frequencies, and course.

LSK 1L = NAV1 Frequency
LSK 2L = NAV1 Course

LSK 1R = NAV2 Frequency
LSK 2R = NAV2 Course

LSK 4L = ILS Frequency
LSK 5L = ILS Course

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

expat

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Thanks Mark.

Problem is that when I press any of these keys, nothing happens.  Is that because I have (or don't have) already an FSX FP loaded?

IP Logged

Sidney Schwartz

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Are you entering the frequency into the scratchpad area and then pressing LSK 4L, or are you pressing LSK 4L before entering the frequency? Has to be done the first way. Also, Also, if you choose an ILS arrival procedure on the fmc, it will enter the ILS frequency and course for you.

IP Logged

expat

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Thanks Sidney.

Have tried it both ways but realize the right way is to enter the frequency first in the scratch pad.  Is it possible I am not entering in the right format?  Very little in the manuals - and tutorials - on these kinds of details that make a big difference.  NB: I am looking for a method to enter an ILS at the end of a flight - ad hoc - rather than in the full CDU programing before departure.

IP Logged

Sidney Schwartz

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Sorry I can't be of more help. I just tried entering an ils frequency with no other data entered into the FMC aside from the location. It worked fine. What happens when you try to enter a frequency? Do you get an error message?

I was very disappointed with the lack of any documentation on programming the FMC.  Angry

IP Logged

expat

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 10:18am
Print Post  
OK, good news.  Followed your advice and now can enter the ILS frequency into the CDU.  The next problem however is that while the plane captures the localiser each time it does not catch the glide slope.  In the PFD I see a green "ALT" which means the Alt hold is still on (I can't click it off actually) and under it in smaller white letters it says "gs".  I also don't hear the usual ILS beeps.  Any suggestions?  In other simpler aircraft the alt hold automatically switches off when you capture the GS.

IP Logged

Sidney Schwartz

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you armed the approach mode on the mode control panel of the autopilot. Is the nav display mode selector on APP?
That's the only thing I can think of...I'm not having any problems with capturing the glide slope.

IP Logged

expat

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Yes I pressed the APP on the AP.  Do I need to do something different (press LOC first)?

IP Logged

Sidney Schwartz

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Wish I could figure out how to attach an image on this forum.  Sad

The nav display mode selector knob is on the EFIS control panel and lets you choose APP, VOR, MAP OR PLN mode. Are you setting yours to APP as well as pushing the APP on the AP? I don't know if this is the problem, but I can't think of anything else to try.

IP Logged

expat

Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:02am
Print Post  
No I have not been setting the EFIS to APP - that's probably the problem.  Thanks Sidney.  Are you the same Sidney who has made all those great hangars and other scenery library objects?

IP Logged

Sidney Schwartz

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Yes, that's me.  Smiley

IP Logged

expat

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
SOLVED: Just to report back, I finally got a moment to test this and yes it worked and captured the loc and gs. I believe it was also not having the EFIS set to APP and possibly also I was arming the APP button too late. Engaging it around 10nm rather than closer (in the green arrow on the GPS) may also been the problem.  Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

Sidney Schwartz

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Glad to help. Yes, that's way too late to arm the APP mode. Ideally you'll be in level flight on a heading to intercept the localizer, and below the glideslope. That's the time to arm it. Your heading should be such that you intercept the localizer first, then the glideslope. If you intercept the glideslope first, the AP will most likely not capture it.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 1:28am
Print Post  
expat wrote on Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:14pm:
SOLVED: Just to report back, I finally got a moment to test this and yes it worked and captured the loc and gs. I believe it was also not having the EFIS set to APP and possibly also I was arming the APP button too late. Engaging it around 10nm rather than closer (in the green arrow on the GPS) may also been the problem.  Thanks for your help!

It has nothing to do with setting the EFIS to APP mode. I rarely use APP mode on the EFIS, yet the 777 captures the LOC and Glide Slope. If it doesn't capture the GS, it's usually because I have pressed APP on MCP (AP) after the aircraft has dropped below the GS (usually because I have forgotten to press it in time)!

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top