Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Questions for ex or present real buff pilots (Read 6985 times)
so666

Questions for ex or present real buff pilots
Jan 28th, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
I am trying to modify the aircraft.cfg file , to try and get this bird , flying like the real one , within the FSX restrictions.
Questions.
1. what is the correct cruize attitude of this aircaft in degrees of nose up.
2. what is the full amount of fuel in gals for each tank. (found the answer to this one)
3. on t/o what is the correct aircraft attitude just as she lifts off.
regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

Mustang1977

Re: Questions for ex or present real buff pilots
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Greetings,

I welcome your commitment with the B-52  Smiley

But, first of all, optimations in the Flight Dynamics are very difficult to change because the core of the FD are in the *.air file.

For me, I have taken the changes here in the forum and found a compromise between the mod and the Original. The problem is the correct (max) Speed and AOA while curising. If you use the FD-Mod found here as is, the speed is too low and the AOA too high. Takeoff and Landing with this Mod is ok, but I don't like the high AOA and low (unrealistic) speed.

If you would try my settings, here are my settings in the aircraft.cfg:

Code
Select All
[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight = 488000
empty_weight = 183535

reference_datum_position     =   0, 0, 0    // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
empty_weight_CG_position     =  -7, 0, 0    // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum

max_number_of_stations = 50

station_load.0  =   168.0,	 64.5,	-2.0,	 8.0    //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.1  =   170.0,	 64.5,	 2.0,	 8.0    //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
//station_load.2  =   354.0,	    0,	 0.0,	 0.0    //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.2  =   354.0,	 60.5,	 0.0,	 8.0    //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.3  =     0.0, 	  0.0,	 0.0,	 0.0    //Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)

station_name.0  =  "Pilot"          
station_name.1  =  "Co-Pilot"       
station_name.2  =  "Crew"
station_name.3  =  "Internal Weapons"            

;Moments of Inertia
empty_weight_roll_MOI    = 13352310
empty_weight_pitch_MOI   = 24223159
empty_weight_yaw_MOI     = 39531785
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0

[fuel]
//Tank, Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)
LeftAux   =    -14.0,  -52.14,   -6.8,   4905.0,    6.0 //No. 1 Main
RightAux  =    -14.0,   52.14,   -6.8,   4905.0,    6.0 //No. 4 Main
LeftMain  =      5.6,  -25.68,   -4.3,   6834.0,   25.0 //No. 2 Main
RightMain =      5.6,   25.68,   -4.3,   6834.0,   25.0 //No. 3 Main
LeftTip   =    -31.46, -78.9,    -8.9,   1051.0,    7.0 //Left Outboard Wing
RightTip  =    -31.46,  78.9,    -8.9,   1051.0,    7.0 //Right Outboard Wing
Center1   =     16.4,    0.0,   -12.3,   2053.0,    4.0 //Fwd Body
Center2   =      7.2,    0.0,   -12.3,   3458.0,   12.0 //Center Wing
Center3   =     -6.7,    0.0,   -12.3,  15500.0,   21.0 //Mid + Aft Body
External1 =    -23.0,  -77.3,   -11.5,    700.0,    5.0 //Left External
External2 =    -23.0,   77.3,   -11.5,    700.0,    5.0 //Right External

[flaps.0]
type             = 1                                    
span-outboard    = 0.8                                 
extending-time   = 60                                  
flaps-position.0 = 0                                    
;flaps-position.1 = 10                                    
flaps-position.1 = 20                                    
;flaps-position.3 = 29                                  
;flaps-position.4 = 30                                  
;flaps-position.5 = 31                                  
;flaps-position.6 = 32                                  
;flaps-position.7 = 33                                  
;flaps-position.8 = 34                                  
flaps-position.2 = 35               
damaging-speed   = 250                                 
blowout-speed    = 270                                 
//lift_scalar = 1.0
//drag_scalar = 1.0
//pitch_scalar= 1.0
lift_scalar = 0.5  //0.58//0.75//1.1
drag_scalar = 1.2
pitch_scalar= 1.2  //1.5 last
system_type = 1                                //Hydraulic

[flight_tuning]
//cruise_lift_scalar     = 1.0
//parasite_drag_scalar   = 1.0
//induced_drag_scalar    = 1.0
cruise_lift_scalar=1.0 //1.5 last worked
parasite_drag_scalar=1.0 //1.7 last worked
induced_drag_scalar=1.0 //1.8 last worked
elevator_effectiveness=0.7
aileron_effectiveness=0.4
rudder_effectiveness=1.0
pitch_stability=1.0
roll_stability=1.4
yaw_stability=1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.0
aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.0
rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.0

[GeneralEngineData]
engine_type=1                               //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop
Engine.0 =  20, -60, -10
Engine.1 =   0, -34, -8
Engine.2 =   0,  34, -8
Engine.3 =  20,  60, -10
fuel_flow_scalar   = 0.80                   //Scalar for fuel flow efficiency
min_throttle_limit = -0.50;                 //Minimum percent throttle.  Generally negative for turbine reverser

[TurbineEngineData]
fuel_flow_gain=0.002               //Gain on fuel flow
inlet_area=16.00               //Square Feet, engine nacelle inlet area
rated_N2_rpm=29900               //RPM, second stage compressor rated value
static_thrust=30000		      //Lbs, max rated static thrust at Sea Level (2X 14550)
//inlet_area=17.0
//rated_N2_rpm=29920
//static_thrust=30000
afterburner_available=0                   //Afterburner available?
reverser_available=0                   //Thrust reverser available?
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption=0.52

[jet_engine]
thrust_scalar=1.0 

As you see, this is not the whole aircraft.cfg, you have to copy and paste the sections in question.

I also modified the Flaps: Now there are only 2 Positions: 50 % and Full. The sections between are not needed for TO and Landing. This saves time and nerves  Wink

And your answer for your 2. question is also in my cfg as above. I think this is the correct amount of fuel as you can see at, eg. wikipedia.

I hope this helps, I know the FD are not 100 % accurate, but for me it is ok and it is better than the original.

IP Logged

so666

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Hi.
Thanks for the info, a lot of them numbers , i was either close to or the same as , last time i flew the bird , she had a nose up att in cruise of 5 deg , pics i have seen would suggest 0 deg att in cruise .
My engine is at 34000,which gives the correct power specs i have seen,to compensate for this i have higher drag when flaps are out,so as flaps are retracted , my speed increases,so throttle movement back from full t/o power is needed to stop any overspeed,my Cg is a lot further back then the org -7 , it is at present at -14.
Also when i did the new camera positions for all the crew, i used these positions ,as my crew weight load stations, and have the crew at 220 each to cater for the crew plus flight gear they would have , still fine tuning, my fuel qtys differ slightly from yours as an earlier post gave me the info for tanks and qty,which differ from the wikipedia site.
regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

Mustang1977

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Good evening,

Are you able to edit *.air files? I have an editor for it, but the settings there are too hot for me.

AOA of 5 up at FL 340 is too much  Wink Now I know no exactly number, but I'am never over 4.0 (with full tanks).

Oh yes, and the cameras are a special theme for me - I've adjust the default-cams to fit more what I like. I do this for every new aircraft  Smiley

IP Logged

so666

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Hi.
i was watching a few vids today of b52h , t/o landing,bombing,cruise , on one of the vids it gave a close up of the nose section , and it gave the crew weight 5 crew at 1500lbs , so my 220 lbs as now been amended to 300 lbs per crew member.
I have also read that the b52h at full weight is capable of doing 6000 ft min climb after gear and flaps retracted up to 33000 ft in a tactical climb , but normal rate is about 3000 ft min , they then level off till some fuel is used  , before climbing to between 50 and 55000 ft.
I could at one stage match that , but my last effort , was a mess , but i dont give up that easy.
As for air files , i have no programe to edit these , nor do i like to tamper with them , understanding the SDK for the aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg , and repainting aircraft for fs9 is my limit.
I had a quick look in the b52 panel.cfg ,to see if i could swap my co-pilots inop alt , but FSX inst panels are getting imposible to workout.
regards alan.
p.s. i posted my camera views,in the camera view post some one had started,they work well for me,but i have done a slight change since,in my aircraft.cfg file,the title for aislestand/overhead , now says engineer flight,and the engineers now has rest position after it.
Cool

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2016 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As for air files , i have no programe to edit these , nor do i like to tamper with them
I use AirEd, and as long as you backup the original AIR file, you can make changes to it that might help you with what you are trying to achieve.

Quote:
I had a quick look in the b52 panel.cfg ,to see if i could swap my co-pilots inop alt , but FSX inst panels are getting imposible to workout.
If the gauges are programmed into the VC model (CS_B52_interior.MDL), then the only way to swap the inop ALTIMETER with the working ALTIMETER, would be to hack (modify) that file. Though I would copy the working one over to the inop right ALTIMETER!

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

so666

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Hi Mark.
The instruments are all in zip files , and no where in the panel cfg files,does it mention the individual instruments,so i cannot use a copy of the pilots in the copilots,which is what i was hopeing to do.
Does your copilots alt needle move,or is it like mine , stuck in the 12oclock position,if yours moves,then i might have a corrupt download,and would have to reinstall the aircraft,mine is the latest update captsim did v1.1,if yours is the same,then i need to submit a ticket.
Regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
The instruments are all in zip files
CAB files actually, but I get what you mean. Wink

Quote:
no where in the panel cfg files,does it mention the individual instruments,so i cannot use a copy of the pilots in the copilots,which is what i was hopeing to do.
Captain Sim never name the gauges using standard words, they are usually named according to the matching instrument panel in manual2 for the plane, but in the case of the B-52 Driver, they don't do that in the csb521_manual2.pdf. Sad

Quote:
Does your copilots alt needle move,or is it like mine , stuck in the 12oclock position
Same as yours - mine is stuck in the 12 o'clock position. I haven't worried about it because I fly from the Pilot position. Undecided

Edit (Jan 31st, 2016 at 2:03am):

I found the altimeter gauge images (LP_01_T.bmp & LP_01_T_n.bmp) in the Captain_Sim.b520.LP.CAB file, so the LP_bg.spb might be place where the Pilot and CoPilot Altimeters are coded. I imagine if you can find the code for the Pilot's Altimeter, you could copy it over to the CoPilot's Altimeter to make it work.

Note. I don't know how to open, and edit, SPB files. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

so666

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Hi Markoz.
I have submitted a ticket over this,i have also been fine tuneing my aircraft.cfg file.
I could never get the nose level , no matter what i did , the nose always ended up 5 deg nose up,if it is 10 deg nose up , then in cruise with auto pilot on , the aircraft was rocking , as as been reported in these forums , but when in cruise with auto pilot on with the 5 deg nose up , she was steady as a rock.
Then i did some changes in the auto pilot section of the cfg file, i was over the moon , when i got the 0 deg nose up attitude in cruise,but it did not last long,i have found that the problem is down to Microsofts default fuel usage.
The tanks where selected as per a post on this forum,which i copyied into notepad,and had that on display, engs 1,2 fed from aft, engs 3,4 fed from its main,engs 5,6 fed from its main,engs 7,8 fed from ctr wing tank , this was done till i started climbing,then switched to engs 1,2,3,4 fed from aft,engs 5,6,7,8 fed from ctr wing,when i looked in Microsofts fuel , i found fuel was being drained from tanks that where not even selected , this means that the aircraft cannot be ballanced correctly.
Only way to get this aircraft to use fuel in the correct way,would be for captainsim to modify the ACE , so it worked a bit like the C130, I.E. weapons load page,fuel load page, this is the only way to get around FSX limitations.
Regards Alan. Cool

IP Logged

Mustang1977

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 10:22am
Print Post  
so666 wrote on Jan 31st, 2016 at 7:09am:
i found fuel was being drained from tanks that where not even selected , this means that the aircraft cannot be ballanced correctly.

The only 2 Tanks that cannot be selected individually are the Mid and Aft Body. For me this is not a big handycap, you can balance the B-52 fine with this.

I'am closing Crossfeed Valve No 20 and 21 after 6000 lbs left in Mid/Aft Body after finished Step 5 and going over to Step 6 in the Fuelsequence.

Please see the official Fuel-Sequence witch I have postet here:

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1334416143

You have to see Step 4 and 5 as One Step  Wink

IP Logged

so666

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Hi Mustang.
Thats the one i was useing,but i found fuel being used out of the externals,which where isolated,and should not have been used.
now weather thats because i used the cold dark setup at KNKX , which is one of the two pre flight set ups captainsim supply , that caused this problem , or standard FSX fuel useage causing this i dont know as yet.
UPDATE:- started todays flight at KNKX , but not the pre flight cold dark that comes with the download,put 50% fuel in each tank, started engines, with fuel select as eng 1,2 from aft tank, eng 3,4 from L main tank , eng 5,6  from R main tank, eng 7,8 from ctr wing tank , taxiied to runway , checked fuel in FSX and correct tanks being used , took off and select 1,2,3,4 engs to aft body tank and 5,6,7,8 eng from ctf wing tank .
Yesterday it was not doing this , only differance from today is yesterday i used the preflt cold dark,today i was in cold dark , but i used the free flight to select aircraft and airport,as opposed to the load button on the free flight page,this may have caused a corruption some how of aircraft systems.
Since my latest cfg mod, i can line up on runway and with 100% fuel load set , i put 4 deg nose up trim,full flap and with 50% fuel load , i put 2 deg nose up trim , full flap, open the taps and she lifts of by herself ,as soon as i am air borne , i pull throttles back to mid position , then gear up , level off at about 1 to 2 thousand while flaps are retracted , then engage a/p adding trim /throttle as required to maintain a steady climb.
once i hit alt hold the aircraft captures with a little bit of a swing on vert gauge , then settles at 5 deg nose up att,and no rocking of the wings , like it did when i first got this bird.
still trying for that 0 deg nose att in cruise , which i think is some where in the a/p settings.
up to now i have found a few errors in this config that needed editing.
slowly getting there.
Regards alan. Cool

IP Logged

so666

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2016 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Hi.
I have only played with the aircraft.cfg as of this time.
Getting the nose down att just after liftoff was achieved a few mins ago , and aircraft unsticked from runway with all 4 boggies at the same time,and immediatly after liftoff , she adopted a pronounced nose down att ,and because i had pos trim on elevator , she climb,had i had no trim or neg trim she might have climbed a bit more realistic.
More testing and fine tuning required , but she is a handful to fly , and a lot of playing with ailrons,elevator,rudder required to keep her under control,just like the vids i have been watching.
Regards alan. Cool Grin

IP Logged

acflyer

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2016 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Jan 29th, 2016 at 11:39pm:
Quote:
As for air files , i have no programe to edit these , nor do i like to tamper with them
I use AirEd, and as long as you backup the original AIR file, you can make changes to it that might help you with what you are trying to achieve.

Quote:
If the gauges are programmed into the VC model (CS_B52_interior.MDL), then the only way to swap the inop ALTIMETER with the working ALTIMETER, would be to hack (modify) that file. Though I would copy the working one over to the inop right ALTIMETER!

IP Logged

acflyer

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Hello , i met a gentleman yesterday that told me he used to maintain B-52's at beale or travis here in california.He said they sometimes they would use walnut shells tossed in the engines to help keep them clean. Is this true ??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top