Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Windows 10 and FSX. What will happen? (Read 29109 times)
ORomaYeti

Re: Windows 10 and FSX. What will happen?
Reply #30 - Apr 10th, 2016 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Hi there, I recently got a new Windows 10 PC and would like to set up FSX there (not FSX.SE). I also would like to buy Captain Sim products for it, especially the 777. I know they don't support Windows 10 (so far): Could you please tell me if there is any chance that it will work fine? [Win 10, 2 TB HDD, Intel i7-Core, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB GDDRS), 16 GB RAM]. And, by the way, how about other FSX Captain Sim products like the Tristar, the 727 or the 767, 757? Thanks in advance.  Smiley

(pretty) Please (with a cherry on top): If I'm wrong here asking my question please tell me where to do. Thanks a lot.
Bye

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #31 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 4:29am
Print Post  
I would have hoped that someone using FSX and Captain Sim products on Windows 10, would have responded to this by now.

I have Windows 10 installed, but as yet, no FSX, or Captain Sim products, have been installed, so I can't provide you with an answer just yet. Sad

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #32 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Apparently the free offer of an upgrade to Windows 10 will end soon.  What is the status of Captain Sim making their planes compatible with Windows 10 before this happens?

Jim Kaye

[img]https://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/x777/x777_3.jpg[/img

IP Logged

montreal

Reply #33 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Hi- I have had no issues with the C 130- 767 and 757. Seems that converting to W10 has no impact whatsoever.

Cheers

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #34 - Jun 17th, 2016 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Is anyone using the Captain Sim 777 with Windows 10 with no issues?

Jim Kaye

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #35 - Jun 20th, 2016 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Finally have fsx working with Windows 10.  Had to not select DX10 preview mode, used antialiasing, and Trilinear, as suggested by others.  Have not reinstalled Ultimate Traffic 2 yet, which I uninstalled after it gave the false message 'Please register this product before you try to use it'.  The 777 seems to fly just as it had with Windows 7, and hope the other Captain Sim aircraft will also.

Jim Kaye  Cheesy

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #36 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Seem to be having out of memory issues, which was seldom a problem with Windows 7.  May need to tweak some of my settings.  Undecided

Jim Kaye

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #37 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 4:29am
Print Post  
I have now been using Windows 10 for awhile.  Using the Captain Sim 777, and flying from KSEA to KSFO, I consistently would get Out of Memory errors with the settings I had previously used with Windows 7 Home Edition.  It appears that the OOM occurs when the VAS (using Process Explorer) gets up to about 3,200,000K.  I have been using 4 monitors - one for the instrument panel and 3 for the forward or spot view.  By only using three monitors, and cutting back on the graphics card settings in fsx I am able to complete this flight without OOM errors.  My Alienware Aurora system has 9 GB of DDR3 RAM,  and I just ordered 24 GB of DDR3 RAM, which hopefully will allow using all four monitors again and higher graphics settings.  I am also using ORBX scenery (PNW, Northern California) for this test flight.

The CS 777 seems to require more VAS than some of the other aircraft, but they also have OOM problems with 4 monitors.  Have not yet tried other CS aircraft, but the 777 flies very well.

Jim Kaye

IP Logged

NaMcO

Reply #38 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Adding more memory won't solve your problem. FSX is a 32-bit application and it won't use more than 4GB under any circumstance.

The issue *should* come from excessive 2D panels open in several monitors. These consume memory like crazy. Try performing the same flight without any 2D panels open, VAS usage should be much less.

IP Logged

JetRanger

JETRANGER

Reply #39 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
"'FSX is a 32-bit application and it won't use more than 4GB under any circumstance""

Tho True, what some fail to realize is that aside from running FSX, Flight Simmers often run other programs along side FSX, which require more RAM (Memory) to make everything work seamlessly !

They may include :
Flight Yokes
Rudder peddles
Throttle Quadrants
Eye or head tracking tracking software
Screen Recording software
AI Traffic software
Weather Software
GPS Navigation software
Multi-Screen set ups
and a host of who knows what software & Hardware

For the Basic Generic Flight Sim user, the above statement may hold true ,,,,,

But for the rest of us who are Deep into Flight Simming with some pretty complex Aircraft, the more RAM and the high quality Graphics card and Higher Quality Processor is whats needed ~ !!!  Cool

I have a decent Quad core processor
2GB XFX Graphics card
16GB of RAM

I use 2 separate computers - 1 solely just for Flight Simming only
The other which is almost identical with a tad bit less RAM for everyday general purpose computing and Editing my Flight Sim Videos for YOU TUBE.

Jetranger
Sim Hanger on YOU TUBE

YouTube  
IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #40 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I have completed two more flights from KSEA to KSFO, after installing 24 GB of RAM, replacing my 9 GB.  I tried using fairly high graphics settings to see when it would fail.  Using Process Explorer, the VAS was 4,104, 800K when it failed.  On the most recent flight to KSFO, was able to do a successful auto landing, taxi to the gate and shut down, but then it said out of memory with VAS 4,092,880K.  So the reply posted earlier is correct in that it appears to fail when VAS is just over 4,000,000K no matter how much memory is installed.  However before upgrading the memory it give OOM when the VAS was only 3,178,204K and 3,124,076K.  Not sure why this occurred, but OOM failures appear less likely than before adding the 24GB memory.  Using CPU-Z it confirms that I have 24 GB of memory.  However, using Control Panel, System, it says I have 24 GB of memory, but only 16 GB usable.  At any rate, I can now fly the 777-200 with all four monitors, using real world weather (have not tried Active Sky yet), with Plan-G on another networked computer, CH yoke and rudder pedals, and Butt Kicker enabled.  So I don't plan to revert back to Windows 7.  One issue with Windows 10 is that my 'Factory Overclocked' i7-920 will now only run a 2.67 GHz, rather than at 3.2.  On the Alienware forum others have experienced similar issues, even after upgrading the BIOS.

I hope this info is helpful to others who are considering upgrading to Windows 10.

Jim Kaye  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Since I put 32GB of RAM in my computer, FSX has run better. So my theory is this:

I think it all comes down to how much RAM Windows allows FSX to use. Once you have a certain amount of RAM on your computer available, FSX eventually gets the full 4GB of RAM it requires. This seems to be somewhere between 16GB and 32GB.

I have not had an OOM for a very long time now, and definitely not since I installed the 32GB of RAM. But then again, I no longer have any 3rd party scenery installed either (I uninstalled it some time after I put the 32GB of RAM in my computer), and when I did, it was only Obyx FTX (AU, NZNI, NZSI, and a lot of Aussie airports).

Edit. My system isn't overclocked, and only I only have a single 24" monitor (as per my specs in my signature).

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 8GB RTX 2070 | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #42 - Jul 9th, 2016 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I am using a Matrox TripleHead2Go to provide the spot plane or out the cockpit window views for 3 monitors, which gives a nice panoramic view.  At KSEA with four monitors the virtual size is about 3,100,000K.  If I turn off the fourth monitor, used for the instrument panel, the virtual size drops to about 2,900,000K.  In this case I use the buttons on the CH Products yoke to switch to the instrument panel view as needed.  I think your theory may be right in that with enough RAM FSX can use the full 4GB.  Interesting!

I am using ORBX scenery for the entire region - PNW and Northern California for this KSEA to KSFO flight.

Jim Kaye

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #43 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I switched over to 10 a while back and found some of the same problems that I had with 8 are still there with all planes. One annoying problem is the crash to desktop. It seems to be random sometimes occurring within a few minutes and other times toward the end of the flight.

I just did a flight for about 45 minutes with the CS 757 and ad-on another company scenery. I left the mail program running and am using Logitech G-940 set-up for controls. I have the graphics sliders mostly to the right, maybe a few just back a notch to the left. NO CTD! Rare indeed. It doesn't seem to matter which planes I'm flying for the CTD.

As some of you may know, I present talks on cruise ships and use FSX as part of the talk. I have kept my ASUS laptop on Win 7 to avoid the CTD. I don't care for Steam, and don't like the look of P3D as yet.

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Jim Kaye

Reply #44 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 5:30am
Print Post  
I just installed Active Sky 2016 and Active Sky Cloud Art, and have been learning to use them as an update from Active Sky Next.  So far I have been very impressed.  Currently I am running under Windows 10, with my 3 primary monitors viewing either the virtual cockpit or spot plane views.  The fourth monitor is used with Plan-G3 for a moving map display.  Still have to check the virtual size with Process Explorer occasionally, since if it gets over 4 GB FSX will fail.  Just finished a test flight with the Captain Sim 777-200, KSFO to KSEA, AS 2016 real weather, Plan-G3 map, and ORBX Northern California and Pacific Northwest scenery.  I was concerned that there might be VAS issues, but my earlier addition of 24 GB of RAM may have resolved this. My frame rates are reasonable, the scenery looks great, and the CS 777 flies beautifully!

Jim Kaye Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top