Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
727 Drivers -- I Salute You (Read 2698 times)
Tim Capps

Defense Lawyer & US Navy
JAG (ret), Writer

727 Drivers -- I Salute You
Dec 2nd, 2013 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I was going to fly from Santa Cruz, Bolivia to Bogota, Columbia. It would not track the VOR steadily, instead, snaking back and forth, but I think that is an old issue, and perhaps not entirely unrealistic, if I am correctly recalling old discussions. Manually lining up things with the heading knob works fine, and I assume that's how people are doing it. During climb I had my hands full, trying to remember my speed, altitude restrictions, etc. until I settled into an uneventful cruise. Then the babysitting started. You can't walk away for more than a quick trip to the head! After a while, I looked on the map, and I had covered a discouragingly short distance.

I have a lot of fun doing taking off and landing from the same airport with the 727, but I don't see my typical two or three hour flight happening. So those of you who have the stamina and attention span to fly technologically simpler aircraft have my admiration!

PC: i9 10900K @ 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 10GB RTX 3080 | 32” Asus TUF VG32VQ Curved Monitor | Samsung 2TB SSD HD | Win 10 Pro 64 - Flight Sim P3Dv5.2 |

IP Logged

windplayer

Re: 727 Drivers -- I Salute You
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Basically, flying modern computerized jet - thats boring. Classics never boring. I doing a lot of long flights on 707 and 727. You keeping an eye on gauges, calculating segment speed, using it you calculate fuel usage, estimating your weight at TOD, and landing weight. Switching from one beacon to another. You allways busy in classics! so after a day of flying - you really really tired but satisfied. Its a good rest in the end, coz you "feel you there"  Cheesy

Just dont try to hard, or its no longer fun.

IP Logged

JetRanger

JETRANGER

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Yip, the Newer Jetliners are Boring !!

that why I only Fly Old Vintage Jetliners like ;

The Comet Jetliner
L-1011's
Convair880's & 990's
DC-8's

Lockheed L-1049's Constellations
Boeing AT32 Condors
DC-2's
DC3's
DC4's
DC6's
Howard 500's
Convair 240's
and the likes !!

Ol' Loud & Smoky Jetliners and Propliners that my Style , anything from the 1940's thru the 1970's era, anything beyond that is sour Milk !

Heres 1 of my Favorite ol' Propliners to Fly, the Boeing 247D Propliner !

Jetranger

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTictocJq90[/url]

YouTube  
IP Logged

WKTZ

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Funny you mention this, I went to Bolivia in 2011 (2 years ago)....my flight from Santa Cruz to Buenos Aires was supposed to be flown by a B737-400....however...it had a problem with brakes locking up the day before...so they got the "spare" out....a magnificent B727-200!

I got to visit the cockpit and took some photos....a wonderful flight!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top