Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
F35 How the west was lost? (Read 2455 times)
Cappy

Moar fuel please

F35 How the west was lost?
Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
From an Australian perspective it's not looking too rosy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pteMgYPm1xM

We should have taken the F22 when it was offered.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: F35 How the west was lost?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2013 at 9:58am
Print Post  
I don't recall any combat aircraft program not receiving the 'it won't be able to fulfil it's planned mission' press and comments. And most of those critics might indeed turn out to be true. But, if the actual orders take place after a combination of politics, secret contracts and low to no public discussion, there's more to it than just an aircraft not being able to do this and that.

In short, we are looking at symptoms ('they've picked the wrong plane') whereas the causes are much more interesting. And I can not stress the role of a public discussion enough as being a vital part of a democracy as compared to a simple system where 'up' decides about what 'down' has to pay for, no matter what. How would did Rupert Murdoch decide?  Grin

The public discusses decisions way after they were made in their own name. Causal chain reversed? Switch focus.

IP Logged

Panny

FSX is a pain in the ass.

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Although the F-35 is a good idea, the multi role fighter concept is more pioneered by the Tornado.
Then the F-15E perfected it.
And the A/G role of the F-14 emphasised it.
But I think there is something that doesn't work when from the beginning they decide to make it multi role. I think it is better if they originally design aircraft for A/A, with a potential secondary role, with removable pylons.

You can see the F-35C has potential to grow since it has large wings for more pyloons of weaponry and will probably be used in the future, wheras the F-35A and B can only make do with two on each wing.

The Torndao was somewhat flawed and wasn't great as an interceptor, but proved itself as a great ground role aircraft. But combat is changing. It is mor eimportant baout having a better radar and missile than raw performance. For ground role, LANTIRN pods, and all fancy imagery and large load of bombs, with countermeasures to defend against SAMS.
The F-35 really doesn't excel in either area. They banked too much on stealth.

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, i7 3930k 4.4Ghz, Corsair H100i, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, 2 X GTX 670, OCZ 500GB SSD, Corsair 650D case

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 7:38am
Print Post  
I am certain the F35 will excel at certain tasks.

However it is NOT the air superiority fighter for Australia.
For many years our air force has run a split system. F-111's for ground attack and going back F4's, Mirage III's, and F18D's for air superiority.

The Howard government and chief of the air force at the time decided to throw all that doctrine and experience out with the bathwater and gamble on buying 100 F35's from a marketing brochure.

Culling the F-111 was simply idiotic, not only have they got rid of a still highly capable machine that CANNOT be replaced but they managed to export every last ounce of aviation engineering experience to the US.
It has also made us 100% reliant on the US for updates.
OTOH the USAF made a very brave but sensible decision to keep the B52's flying.

The F-111 re-engined with the P&W F119?? would be capable of supercruising with the Raptors and it's high speed performance would be astonishing. It has all the prerequisites, internal weapons bays, internal fuel and is very aerodynamic. (The F-111C has been flown at over mach 1 past it's "official" top speed.) People in the know say it's capable of playing in SR71 territory. *Now don't take that out of context, I'm in no way saying it's faster or even it's equal.

These guys really know their stuff and have been involved in past purchasing decisions. Some great reading!
http://www.ausairpower.net/

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top