Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 10 How best to set up software for FSX and Captain S (Read 11298 times)
Bernoulli

How best to set up software for FSX and Captain S
Aug 17th, 2013 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Hi Guys:
Well I got my new computer...I decided to get an extra 500 GB HD just for FSX. Here is what it is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (for Win 7)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (for FSX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (for anything else)
Video Card:Gigabyte grforce 650ti 2gb oc.
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter 
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Microsoft -800 Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse
Microsoft Office 2013
CPU Overclocked Profile +10%

So I have loaded CCleaner and Defragger freeware and followed the step by step instructions (which were very consistent with the AVSIM PDF about how to optimize a computer for FSX) I found here:

chrisglobe.co.uk/installing-microsoft-flight-simulator-x/

So FSX is now loaded and so is Acceleration.

Now I was thinking about loading  TrackIR-5 software but I am not sure if I should put that on the 500 GB drive with FSX or put it on the 1TB drive that has anything else. What do you guys think? When I started to download it, the download wizard wanted to put it into the C drive with windows 7 which is on a 120 GB SSD... so I stopped the download and figured I'd ask you guys.
Thanks for any comments. Smiley

ATX Mid Tower Case, Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz, ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard&&Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, 8GB memory, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD, 1TB HD, Gigabyte grforce 650ti 2gb oc, 750 Watt PSU, Optical Drive DVD/CD Writer, Win 7 (64-bit), MS-800 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse&&

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Re:  How best to set up software for FSX and Captain S
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
In fact, I want to load TrackIR-5 and AlacrityPC but both try to install on the C drive. Where should I install these? Thanks for any comments. Smiley

ATX Mid Tower Case, Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz, ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard&&Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, 8GB memory, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD, 1TB HD, Gigabyte grforce 650ti 2gb oc, 750 Watt PSU, Optical Drive DVD/CD Writer, Win 7 (64-bit), MS-800 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse&&

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Bernoulli wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:26am:
In fact, I want to load TrackIR-5 and AlacrityPC but both try to install on the C drive. Where should I install these? Thanks for any comments. Smiley

Why not create a Program Files folder (no need for a Program Files (x86) folder) on one of the other drives and install them there. Most software gives you the chance to choose where to install them.
My TrackIR software is install in C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5, but my C: drive is a 300GB partition on a 1TB HDD, so it didn't matter that I installed there. Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 4:26am
Print Post  
That is precisely why 3 hard drives are recommended!!

Install all the miscellaneous stuff, like you are talking about, on that 3rd 1Tb drive!!! Smart move!

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 4:26am:
That is precisely why 3 hard drives are recommended!!

Install all the miscellaneous stuff, like you are talking about, on that 3rd 1Tb drive!!! Smart move!

OO... So you suggest I leave FSX all by itself even though TrackIR and AlacrityPC interact with FSX?... What about Captain Sim? Would you put that on the third drive too? Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Yes FSX all by itself, but some addons like CS planes have to be installed directly in FSX. Other addons that don't have to go directly into the FSX root folder can and should be installed on your 3rd drive.  Auto Installers usually try to install things on C drive, but you can re-direct them using the Browse button. Good to check with author first on whether their product must go directly into FSX. The promo info should say so.

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:50am:
Bernoulli wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 3:26am:

Why not create a Program Files folder (no need for a Program Files (x86) folder) on one of the other drives and install them there. Most software gives you the chance to choose where to install them.
My TrackIR software is install in C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5, but my C: drive is a 300GB partition on a 1TB HDD, so it didn't matter that I installed there. Wink

Hi Mark:
Thanks for the suggestion. I must admit to you all... I am a Mac user and this is my first PC in a long long time. I am getting totally confused with the types of "program files", folders, directories, (87), 32 bit, 64bit etc....

I have three drives to make sure FSX works well.

1. 120GB SSD = Windows 7
2. 500GB HDDX = FSX
3. 1TB HDD for anything else

Mark, I think you are familiar with my computer set up from previous posts and what I am trying to accomplish...but I'm confused and need some help on how to accomplish it correctly. When it comes to installing software that works with FSX such as AlacrityPC, TrackIR, and Captain SIm, what should I type into the box that allows me to install the software to a specific drive? If you could provide an example that would be awesome!!!... for instance, AlacrityPC. Which drive would you put it on and what would you type into the box to send it to that drive.

Just so you know how I installed FSX:
The 500GB HDD for FSX is the "G" drive.
So when I got to the box where I could tell the install wizard where to install FSX I typed in: G:/Flight Simulator X

Don't worry about insulting me by dumbing it down. Please dumb it down as much as you can because I'm pretty confused with all this stuff.
Thanks so much
If anyone else wishes to chime in and dumb it down for me I'd appreciate it. Cheesy

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 8:15pm:
Yes FSX all by itself, but some addons like CS planes have to be installed directly in FSX. Other addons that don't have to go directly into the FSX root folder can and should be installed on your 3rd drive.  Auto Installers usually try to install things on C drive, but you can re-direct them using the Browse button. Good to check with author first on whether their product must go directly into FSX. The promo info should say so.

OK... I will try to determine what software will actually go into FSX. Thanks... That is good info to know.  Smiley

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
This is from Nick's(God's) guide!   Grin

HARD DRIVE TIPS FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE (ALL DRIVE TYPES):

- RUN FSX AND PRIMARY ADDONS THAT REQUIRE INSTALLATION DIRECTLY INTO FSX ON ITS OWN DEDICATED HARD DRIVE

- DO NOT INSTALL LARGE DATABASE ADDONS (REX-GEX-FEX-AS2012, ETC) TO THE FSX DRIVE OR WINDOWS, POINT THEM TO A 'DEAD STORAGE' DRIVE

- INSTALL LARGE PHOTOSCENERY DATABASES TO THEIR OWN DEDICATED HARD DRIVE(S) AND POINT FSX TO IT

You're on the right track with 3 drives ---

Alacrity has nothing to do with FSX directly. It just shuts down un-necessary programs and services that usually run in the background. That frees up system resources for FSX or any other highdemand programs you run.

Track IR is not an FSX specific program either. You can use it for other games and sims.

Also --- remember to NEVER ever defrag the SSD!!!

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:04pm:
This is from Nick's(God's) guide!   Grin

HARD DRIVE TIPS FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE (ALL DRIVE TYPES):

- RUN FSX AND PRIMARY ADDONS THAT REQUIRE INSTALLATION DIRECTLY INTO FSX ON ITS OWN DEDICATED HARD DRIVE

- DO NOT INSTALL LARGE DATABASE ADDONS (REX-GEX-FEX-AS2012, ETC) TO THE FSX DRIVE OR WINDOWS, POINT THEM TO A 'DEAD STORAGE' DRIVE

- INSTALL LARGE PHOTOSCENERY DATABASES TO THEIR OWN DEDICATED HARD DRIVE(S) AND POINT FSX TO IT

You're on the right track with 3 drives ---

Alacrity has nothing to do with FSX directly. It just shuts down un-necessary programs and services that usually run in the background. That frees up system resources for FSX or any other highdemand programs you run.

Track IR is not an FSX specific program either. You can use it for other games and sims.

Also --- remember to NEVER ever defrag the SSD!!!

Thanks btscott:
Good tips... Yeah I almost did defrag my SSD but stopped before actually doing it.
So AlacrityPC and TrackIR can go on the third drive. Any chance you can provide me a dumbdown word for word example of what you would type into the box that directs the install wizard which drive to install the program to? My third drive is "H".
Thanks

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
You shouldn't have to type anything. The installer indicates that it will be installed in c drive but at the end of the address box there should be a little box with *Browse* that you click on and then you find that 3rd drive and select it. Then click OK.

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 9:40pm:
You shouldn't have to type anything. The installer indicates that it will be installed in c drive but at the end of the address box there should be a little box with *Browse* that you click on and then you find that 3rd drive and select it. Then click OK.

Well...this is true that I can select Browse and then select the third drive "H"... but as soon as I select that it simply puts only an H:/ into the folder box. So should I just type AlacrityPC after the H:/ like so: (H:/AlacrityPC)
Or.... should I type a folder name similar to the one that it would automatically create for the C drive which is:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Ken Salter/AlacrityPC/

Thanks for any help on this

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
No need to type anything, just click OK and let it install.

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
As I haven't installed anything for a year or so it just occurred to me that your H drive is completely empty --- there is no *program Files* folder on it yet!!!

If you are still having difficulty do this -

When this comes up -  C:/Program Files (x86)/Ken Salter/AlacrityPC/  just change the C to H and click OK. I'm thinking it will tell you that there are no folders with those names on H drive - would you like them created? Click yes. Let's see if that does it. If that doesn't happen then go into H and create a folder called Program Files. You can also create one for Program Files (x86) while you're at it. Then point the installer to H:/Program Files. (I think x86 is for FSX specific files)

As a last resort ---- let the darn installer install them on C drive. Not a biggie, as they are miniscule programs that take almost no space and they won't interfere with Windows 7. You have about 95Gb of space on C drive(because you shouldn't fill it beyond 80%) and the OS only takes 10Gb or so(don't remember). It's okay to have a few other smaller programs on there in addition to the OS.  Wink

Bruce

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2013 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Aug 17th, 2013 at 10:16pm:
No need to type anything, just click OK and let it install.

Thanks so much btscott... That works. So I now have AlacrityPC and TrackIR installed on the third drive. Now I have to figure out how to use them Cheesy prior to using FSX do you turn AlacrityPC on, or is it automatic?

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #15 - Aug 18th, 2013 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Bernie! (you are now officially dubbed *Bernie*) (I nicknamed Wind Player *Windy*)

Glad you got them installed.

I believe you have to activate Alacrity each time just before you play FSX. If you never shut your pc down you should activate before FSX and de-activate it after playing FSX so that your anti virus and other stuff is back in play. I don't use Track IR so I don't know if it has to be started each time.?? I would guess there are some set-up instructions in the manual. You know --- if all else fails, read the directions!   Smiley Same goes for everything you install ---- read the manual and ask questions on the developer's forum.

I would highly recommend you sign up with AVSIM and read their forums regularly. Their FSX forum and Hardware Forums are must reads for any simmer.

Bruce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top