Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
EPR (Read 3156 times)
connoan

EPR
Aug 10th, 2013 at 8:51am
Print Post  
So I get that EPR sets take off power (apart from the bug) but once you have rotated and are doing your initial climb is the EPR trying to keep you at a certain speed such as V2 or is the speed controlled by how much I pitch the aircraft? Also does EPR take into account flap restrictions in the same way as vnav?

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Re: EPR
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 3:31am
Print Post  
The Autothrottle will not (or at least it shouldn't) exceed the maximum speed for the current flap setting regardless of whether you are using VNAV or not. I don;'t think you are supposed to use the flaps above 10,000 feet anyway.
Besides that, I usually start raising the flaps once the 757 is 1,000 feet AGL (Above Ground Level). Wink

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

connoan

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mark. Thanks that makes sense, howeve just to double check is EPR trying to maintain v2 (what I've set on the MCP) or just as fast as it can go give the pitch angle or flap limit?

My 757 flights so far have been short haul so I'm light on fuel, so my takeoff a feel like a rocket launch.

Also what the best practice for arming Lnav and vnav and engaging the autopilot? If I arm them prior to takeoff then engage autopilot once in the air the modes are switched to spd and alt using v/s control when I'd expect it to remain on lnav or vnav? I've watch a few real world take offs with 757 on YouTube and LNAV and VNAV seem never to be armed.

Thanks
Alan

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
The A/T will try to maintain what is set in the speed select window or what you have entered in the computer in VNAV.

Don't arm anything on takeoff, just fly the aircraft. Each airline or operator had different altitudes for clean-up after takeoff. Most were out of 1,000 feet.

On takeoff, you would advance the throttles and select EPR. The thrust would go to what is selected in the TMSP (thrust mode select panel). After 80 knots the throttles go into THR HOLD. EPR is replaced with thrust hold. The throttles can be moved in THR HOLD to make adjustments.

After takeoff, at around 1,000 AGL, press CLB on the TMSP to change the thrust to climb thrust. You can press FLCH and set the speed to 250 knots. As the speed increases, retract the flaps on schedule. You could also engage VNAV and it will program the speed as well.

Don't engage the autopilot unless the plane is stable and in trim and in the real plane ALWAYS be ready to press the disconnect button if the autopilot tries to do a hard-over. Fly the plane and trim the elevator force out. Steer the plane on course manually or engage the autopilot and either steer it with HDG or LNAV. If you are closer to the magenta line before selecting LNAV the autopilot action will be smoother.

All the buttons that have a LINE connected to the speed window are speed modes. So, SPD, VNAV & FLCH will all put the auto throttles in speed mode. Notice EPR & LNAV are NOT speed modes!

Lou

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

Kenny

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2013 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Markoz wrote on Aug 11th, 2013 at 3:31am:
I don;'t think you are supposed to use the flaps above 10,000 feet anyway.
Besides that, I usually start raising the flaps once the 757 is 1,000 feet AGL (Above Ground Level). Wink

The maximum altitude for flap extension is 20,000 feet. The airline procedures I go by state that flap retraction begins at 1,000 feet AGL and should be completed around 3000 feet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top