Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Computor (Read 6674 times)
Weston

Computor
Jul 25th, 2013 at 4:45am
Print Post  
I knowi have started several topics on this but now my old computor is shot and I have to buy another what do you think?
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000

IP Logged

btscott

Re: Computor
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Since no one has stepped forward I will offer the following, though I am not a pc expert. I think Mark is more qualified to judge this build. However, my immediate comments would be:

* I have read plenty of negative (and some positive) reviews on CyberPower.

* It is well known that FSX works best on Intel motherboards, CPUs and GPUs. Crossfire is AMD. Get a Gigabyte Intel motherboard

* As Intel is the preferred GPU for FSX (not AMD/ATI) get the GTX 660 gpu

* 350w power supply is inadequate-- you need minimum 750w (Corsair)

* Get 3 hard drives --- one for the operating system, one for FSX(dedicated) and one for storage. FSX should be on a hard drive all by itself.

* You live in Orlando --- it's HOT!! (I lived there 88-98) I would get a full tower case with the best possible cooling! (probably liquid).

The best source of hardware advice for FSX is the AVSIM Hardware Forum.

If I lived in Orlando I would definitely drive over to Temple Terrace, FL (northeast Tampa area) and talk to Jetline Systems. They build systems custom tailored for FSX!!!

http://jetlinesystems.com

Bruce

IP Logged

Weston

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:29pm:
Since no one has stepped forward I will offer the following, though I am not a pc expert. I think Mark is more qualified to judge this build. However, my immediate comments would be:

* It is well known that FSX works best on Intel motherboards, CPUs and GPUs. Crossfire is AMD. Get a Gigabyte Intel motherboard

* Get 3 hard drives --- one for the operating system, one for FSX(dedicated) and one for storage. FSX should be on a hard drive all by itself.

* You live in Orlando --- it's HOT!! (I lived there 88-98) I would get a full tower case with the best possible cooling! (probably liquid).

If I lived in Orlando I would definitely drive over to Temple Terrace, FL (northeast Tampa area) and talk to Jetline Systems. They build systems custom tailored for FSX!!!

Bruce

Thanks man I will get a gigabyte motherboard I am on a tight budget that was my thinking behind the graphics card since fsx does not need a super graphics I heard and that's why I am only going to get 2 hard drives but is the cpu ok? That was my main worry

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Weston -

The CPU is fine, but you need the Intel Gigabyte motherboard that matches up with the CPU and you need a good Intel GPU like the GTX 660. If you get a weak GPU it will bottleneck the CPU!!!! Don't skimp on the MB, CPU or the GPU ---- or the power supply for that matter!! They all depend on one another. Corsair makes good PSUs get a 750w Gold. Nothing will work if you don't have enough reliable power! Save up some more if need be!!

The two hard drives are okay, but put FSX on one of them all by itself---- the OS and everything else goes on the other.

Again, I only know what I read over and over on the AVSIM Hardware forum. I'm not the expert!

Sign up with AVSIM and read the FSX and Hardware forums. You'll learn a heck of a lot about FSX and the hardware to run it. There is also a very comprehensive FSX setup and tuning guide which is pinned at the top of the Hardware Forum. The CS forum here is great for CS products and how to tweak them (MARK is the resident expert), but AVSIM and SimForums are where you learn about FSX and flight simulation in general.

avsim.com

Bruce

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 7:27am
Print Post  
My opinion....

Mid tower case is fine - that's all mine is, and ever have been, and I have 3 drives (no SSD's) in it.
Liquid cooling is good for if the temperature gets to  the mid 80 to 100+ degrees F during the summer! I have the Corsair H80I, can't see anything wrong with the Asetek 510LC. I don't really know much about it, because I never looked further than Corsair who I recognized and I had known them to be of good quality. I did search the internet to be sure there was nothing bad reported about the Corsair H80i. It's always good to search the internet for anything bad about what you are interested in getting for yourself.

i5 4670K is good and is good for overclocking - another good reason for liquid cooling for more GHz

At least 8GB RAM. I have 16GB and am looking into another 16GB, but 8GB is good enough on a 64bit OS for FSX.

2 HDD's are fine,  more space for less price than SSD's, but SSD's are rocket ships! HDD ARE slower, but I'm okay with that (my personal choice). FSX would be best on (a) a completely separate HDD than the one that Windows is installed on, or (b) 1st partition of the second HDD, or (c) another partition (preferably the 2nd partition) on the main HDD, or (d) the root C:\ (it IS okay too, but not as good as a, b or c). Be aware that each new partition is towards the outside of the drive and so can be slower (1st partition has a faster retrieval speed than the 2nd partition and so on). The further from the centre of the disc the heads get, the longer it takes to retrieve the data. It is always good to defrag the FSX partition/drive on a regular basis. NEVER defrag an SSD!!!

I'm not into ATI cards (that's my personal choice), but modern ATI's are cheaper and fine for FSX. or so I believe. Others who have them would be better able to give you the info on them. Otherwise I would recommend a GTX 660/670/760/770 more or less in that order. Newer is better , so 700 series is better IMO. A 2GB GTX660 (OC) sell for about $AU110 less than a 2GB GTX 760, so the 660 is the budget option. Strangely enough, my 2+ year old 1280MB GTX470 is performing very well on my system and even with some of the newer games. This can be the biggest threat to your budget. There is a thing about having a great system with a not so great graphics card, that will cause a performance drawback. The other side to this is getting an great GC for a mediocre computer, you'll never get the full performance of the GC under those circumstances. GTX 660/760 (or the equivalent ATI cards) should be perfectly fine.

CrossFireX (ATI) or SLI (Nvidia) are of no use for FSX, or so I have heard, but seeing as I've never done it, I wouldn't know. However, IF you are into other games, make sure you get one that matches the ATI or Nvidia card you get if you plan on doing it somewhere in the future! My Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard has both, but it cost $AU275 ($US283) at the time I bought it.

For the power supply, Corsair or Thermaltake are the best (IMO). I suggest you look for a 750 or better to be on the safe side for power needs. Mine is a Themaltake Evo Blue 750 watt PSU, with plug-in leads for the HDD/DVD/GPU connections, which keeps the case uncluttered with useless unneeded cables and provides a better airflow through the system to help keep it cooler.

Bruce is right. The AVSIM Hardware forum is great for getting more info, both good and bad, on the systems out there. Even better if you find people who have the same/similar system as you are planning to buy.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

virge

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Not to throw a wrench into this discussion, but in my opinion if you are going to play the latest games that are  out now, and into the future, then faster, more features, more capabilities such SLI will all improve your performance. If games ever fully transition to 64 bit code, then that will also be a huge improvement, since the game will not be limited due to lack of memory. That is why I see the possibility of XPlane becoming a viable alternative with huge potential. It is now coded in 64 bit, thereby removing the memory limitations. It will be able to use all the memory you can throw at it. At the moment XPLane has a long way to go, and its future is not guaranteed.

The reason I mention all of this, is because if you are "only" considering FSX in your purchasing of an optimal computer, then you have to realize that FSX has some serious limitations. FSX can only access up to 4G of memory, and only if you are using Windows 7 64 bit version. any memory beyond 4 Gig is essentially wasted on FSX. Also FSX is CPU intensive, and as a result you will receive diminishing returns with a better video card. It is true that a better video card will improve performance, but only to a point, and cost versus performance after a certain point is wasted money. The best way to maximize performance in FSX is a newer CPU that is overclocked to the max. Finally FSX still remains an old platform with severe limitations, and you have to realize, and have to be willing to live within those limitations.

i7 3770 quad core, ATI 7870 2GB ram, 16 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, 32 GB SSD, 23 inch monitor

IP Logged

Cappy

Moar fuel please

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 5:39am
Print Post  
btscott wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 1:29pm:

Bruce

Oh Bruce!

intel don't and never will make graphics cards.

Sent from my old flip phone thingy using Tapatalk HD_2016

IP Logged

Panny

FSX is a pain in the ass.

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Although late to this thread,
I don't think you would see much of a performance difference between buying a 3570k and a 4670k. Undoubtedly the 4670k will be better, but not by much, and IMO the price difference is not worth it.
As for graphics cards, as far as fsx is concerned, Nvidia is the way to go, and the GTX 770 is a good choice. However, if you game in general, getting an AMD 7970 is a very good bang for your buck card, as it has great gaming deals and optimised for a lot of games. However, if money isn't a constraint, a gtx 780 or Titan are both great.
For motherboard, of course get the right socket, either lag 1155, or 1150. The advantages of a Lga 1150 mobo, is that it allows more USB 3.0(I think 6) slots on it, and 4 SATA 6Gb/s ports instead of only 2, so you could have 4 SSD.
I have also heard that Intel may block OC'ing on any mobo that is not Z87 in their series, so maybe the 4670k is the way forward? Also get a mobo that will allow two way or three way SLI for potential expansion. I have 2 GTX 670s.
For the PSU, get at least a 750W and certainly don't get the cheap once. Get a bronze certified and 80+ certified. WIth that, that allows OC'ing, SLI and plenty of fans etc. A good PSU allows a lot of expansion.
For HDD etc, I recommend having a 60gb SSD, a 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD and a backup 500GB HDD. I know it is 4(!) hard drives, but the 60GB SSD is for the OS, the 500GB SSD for gaming and FSX(seriously it is a joy to use having fast loading speeds), a 1TB HDD for general storage, like holding installers for fsx, and a backup 500GB HDD, in order to backup the 500GB SSD, as after 1-2 years, the SSD could potentially break, they aren't so reliable.
Casing, I have a Corsair 650D, but honestly, anything with plenty of fan expansion, allowing at least 240mm radiators, anything with good airflow is worth it.
Cooling for CPU, swiftech look very good, but I use a H100i, and that on a 3570k or 4670k could easily push the CPU beyond 5Ghz+ considering a 3770k at 4.7Ghz is 47 celsius!
Your PC is very money dependent, but I hope this is a general guide.
Peter

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, i7 3930k 4.4Ghz, Corsair H100i, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, 2 X GTX 670, OCZ 500GB SSD, Corsair 650D case

IP Logged

btscott

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Cappy!

Hah!!! I saw that mistake right after I posted that, but too late to edit it. Of course I meant Nvidia as the card maker. They are the ones that make the GTX660, needless to say. I expected someone to jump on it sooner than this!! Took 8 days!!   Grin

Regards!!

Bruce

----------------

Pete -

Good stuff, however, the op is a young man 20 years old, and he is budget restricted.

Regards!

Bruce

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top