Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Installation problems (protection)-solutions (Read 13332 times)
Joao Alfredo

Installation problems (protection)-solutions
Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I saw the AVSIM forum discussion on qualities and problems of CS777.
I found, acceptable opinions, but some are absurd
Some people mention "anti piracy tool" as a problem.
Can someone tell what is this tool?
I have 4 products CSIM, bought, and found no problems.
Thanks.

Joo Alfredo

FX8350 4.0/4.2GHZ, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 24 GB RAM, XFX R9-280 3GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M

IP Logged

CoolP

Flying X-Plane :-)

Re: Anti piracy tool in CS777?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Well that's the protection I think. Maybe there's a more specific name for that. Where you enter the code and it online checks something. I once entered a blank _ too much and it still installed but lead to missing gears and stuff. Well, easy fix, installed again and entered the correct code. Embarrassed

I think people may receive trouble when the admin rights for the installer are missing. I always install trustworthy things with a right click and 'run as admin', so that may be a generic tip on the case. Another possible source of trouble may be protection software on Windows itself. Norton and things like that. It doesn't hurt to turn them off for a second until the CS plane is installed.

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
1. I always install using the Manual Offline Activation nowadays.
This seems to work first time every time, whereas Instant Online Activation can go wrong sometimes. You CAN do a Manual Offline Activation using the the same computer that IS connected to the internet.

2. I always right mouse click and select "Run as administrator".
I think it is best to use this method so I can be sure it is installed with administrative rights, even though my user account is a member of the Administrator group.

3. I always disable my Avast (free) Anti-Virus shields before installing.
Avast tends to want to put some of (but not all) my Captain Sim installers into a sandbox and so I get a half installed aircraft! It also sandboxes the uninstallers. So I have to disable the shields before installing or uninstalling. This makes me do it for ALL installations, not just my CS add-ons.

I think one other thing that can help is NOT to install FSX in its default location (C:\Program Files etc.) if you are using Vista/Win7/Win8 because of the protection that those operating systems hold over the location.

If everything works right (which it does for me 99% of the time), then there should not be a problem with installing them.

In my opinion, Captain Sim have one of the best anti piracy measures out there, and if it goes wrong .... well .... blame the software pirates for that. If it wasn't for them, CS wouldn't need to use it in the first place.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX1060 Xtreme Gaming | 27" LCD Monitor | 1x2TB SSHD, 2x2TB HDD, 1x4TB HDD, 1x275GB SSD | Win 10 Pro 64 - FSX, FSX-SE, P3Dv3.4 & P3Dv4.2
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE & P3Dv4.2
IP Logged

CoolP

Flying X-Plane :-)

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Maybe they should pin your post, Mark. Makes sense. To each category and with something like 'in case of installation problems'.

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 3:26am
Print Post  
I have never had the Instant Online Activation go wrong for myself.

A while back, when looking at my profile. I saw that I had *uninstalled/reinstalled (OR redone my system then installed), a lot of my Captain Sim products, I do a new Manual Offline Activation once when I upgrade my computer (it shows in the list on my profile), but I can *uninstall/reinstall as often as I like.

* Uninstall and remove the registry entry/reinstall requiring activation as per KB #685.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz | Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX1060 Xtreme Gaming | 27" LCD Monitor | 1x2TB SSHD, 2x2TB HDD, 1x4TB HDD, 1x275GB SSD | Win 10 Pro 64 - FSX, FSX-SE, P3Dv3.4 & P3Dv4.2
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE & P3Dv4.2
IP Logged

Tanya
CS Team

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Good post Mark. The problem is people do not read Knowledge Base or read it inattentively and do not follow our recommendations step by step.

IP Logged

mollau

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Tanya wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 11:17am:
Good post Mark. The problem is people do not read Knowledge Base or read it inattentively and do not follow our recommendations step by step.

The issue I once had with online activation was, when entering my order no. by copy&paste, a ' ' (space character) was added automatically after the no. The server seemed to accept this, but the aircraft actually wasn't activated. When I contacted support, they recommended offline activation instead.

So I can see 2 means of improvement:

1) Let the server positively reject the online activation to user's notice, so the user can try again correctly ("Please check your entries thoroughly before re-trying.")
2.a) On first contact between user and support, advise of the ' ' space character issue and ask to check any entries carefully.
2.b) Recommend offline activation not before user's second contact to support. Otherwise the user might repeat the wrong order no. entry in offline mode, with activation still not working.

Best,&&Markus&&&&"Is this thread for real or is it all an Ilyushin?"&&(BlueDiamond, 6th Mar 2008)&&

IP Logged

Tanya
CS Team

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
mollau wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 11:37am:
1) Let the server positively reject the online activation to user's notice, so the user can try again correctly ("Please check your entries thoroughly before re-trying.")
2.a) On first contact between user and support, advise of the ' ' space character issue and ask to check any entries carefully.
2.b) Recommend offline activation not before user's second contact to support. Otherwise the user might repeat the wrong order no. entry in offline mode, with activation still not working.

Have to quote myself:
Tanya wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 11:17am:
The problem is people do not read Knowledge Base or read it inattentively and do not follow our recommendations step by step.

Please check reinstallation and Manual Offline Activation instructions in our Knowledge Base, everything is already listed there.

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2013 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
mollau wrote on Feb 15th, 2013 at 11:37am:
The issue I once had with online activation was, when entering my order no. by copy&paste, a ' ' (space character) was added automatically after the no. The server seemed to accept this, but the aircraft actually wasn't activated. When I contacted support, they recommended offline activation instead.

The thing about that is this... My email client is MS Outlook 2010 and almost every time I copy a serial number from an email in regards to a product (any product) key/serial number, is that it almost always has a space at the end, and possibly others somewhere in the middle. Awkward as it is, I copy it to Notepad, remove any spaces that shouldn't be there, then copy it again from notepad and THEN inserting it when required. This prevents any failure of a serial number or order number being accepted and being correct if/when it is.

I think it has something to do with the Auto correction of grammar, adding spaces between what it thinks are words. I also encounter these strange happenings in Word 2010, which I use a lot as well. I could turn it off, but I like to have correct spelling and grammar when writing email and documents. It doesn't take very long to do it the way I do, so I am okay with it.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Joao Alfredo

Re: Installation problems (protection)-solutions
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Hello guys, I did not make a complaint, just curious about something I read in another forum, I have no trouble installing or removing products CSIM. Exclaim

Joo Alfredo

FX8350 4.0/4.2GHZ, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 24 GB RAM, XFX R9-280 3GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Joao Alfredo wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:23am:
Hello guys, I did not make a complaint, just curious about something I read in another forum, I have no trouble installing or removing products CSIM. Exclaim

Joo Alfredo

My response was not to you Joo, but to mollau.

I saw that your (Joo) original post was a query to something that you had read in the Avsim forum. Wink

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Tanker Chief

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 4:01am
Print Post  
I'm going to have to say Captain Sim appears to have the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. After multiple attempts to contact them for help and every time being redirected with some standard "we don't really care about our customers" email to a "customer support" page that has no valuable customer support information at all, and posting on the forums in the APPROPRIATE location for my question and having gone un-responded to in 4 days, (past the expiration of the download I might add) I've finally decided to be "that guy" and just start posting this everywhere until someone notices and helps me resolve the issue with the instillation because this is one PAYING customer who has had it up to here!   Angry

Original post:

Hi all, I am a new Captain Sim customer, just bought the FSX 777 base pack and -300 expansion.

When I went to install the Base Pack it took me through the Licensing Agreement then to a page that says:

"The '777-200 Exterior Model' must be activated on your computer before the product instillation. Please exit the installer, install the '777-200 Exterior Model' and try again."

Then it only gives me the option of clicking "Finish" and it closes out having done nothing.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the "Exterior Model" and where do I get it to activate it on my computer? The install instructions don't say anything about activating an exterior model, from the way its worded it sounds like the Base Pack should just install right away with no issues.

Can't kick ass without tanker gas!

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Tanker Chief wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 4:01am:
I'm going to have to say Captain Sim appears to have the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. After multiple attempts to contact them for help and every time being redirected with some standard "we don't really care about our customers" email to a "customer support" page that has no valuable customer support information at all, and posting on the forums in the APPROPRIATE location for my question and having gone un-responded to in 4 days, (past the expiration of the download I might add) I've finally decided to be "that guy" and just start posting this everywhere until someone notices and helps me resolve the issue with the instillation because this is one PAYING customer who has had it up to here!   Angry

Original post:

Hi all, I am a new Captain Sim customer, just bought the FSX 777 base pack and -300 expansion.

When I went to install the Base Pack it took me through the Licensing Agreement then to a page that says:

"The '777-200 Exterior Model' must be activated on your computer before the product instillation. Please exit the installer, install the '777-200 Exterior Model' and try again."

Then it only gives me the option of clicking "Finish" and it closes out having done nothing.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the "Exterior Model" and where do I get it to activate it on my computer? The install instructions don't say anything about activating an exterior model, from the way its worded it sounds like the Base Pack should just install right away with no issues.

Somehow, you have the 777 Base Pack Upgrade installer, and to install it, the 777-200 Exterior Model must first be installed.
This means you either:

(1) Bought the 777-200 Exterior Model, then used the €10 discount to purchase 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade.

(2) You selected the €10 discount thereby purchasing the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade by mistake.

If #2 applies to your situation, then I suggest you contact the Captain Sim support explaining that you purchased the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade by mistake (instead of the 777 Base Pack full install version). You will probably be refunded the cost of the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade, and will then need to purchase the 777-200 Base Pack (full version).

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Tanker Chief

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Thank you for getting back to me, you're the first human I've spoken to in this entire fiasco.

You suggest I contact the support team but as I mentioned, how!? I tried e-mailing them multiple times but every time I get a computer generated response directing me to the support page on the website which has no useful support information and no contact information, so basically I've been speaking to a computer that's directing me to a dead end.

Anyway, that aside and on to the problem at hand, I attached a picture showing exactly which pack I bought, and I only see a base pack, no "base pack upgrade" or anything, just the "base pack" and that is it. Maybe they sent me a link to the wrong pack?

Scratch that, since I'm a new member I also can not add images or link to my comments, further adding to the idiocy of this whole thing. -_-

IP Logged

Tanker Chief

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Well after a long time spent searching I only just now found the 29.99 base pack upgrade hidden in a link nowhere near the normal product page. I most certainly clicked on the 39.99 base pack, I even went back and looked at my click history to make sure. But for some reason when I clicked on the base pack, it added the base pack upgrade to my cart.

So now that I know what the problem is... the other problem of getting a hold of Captain Sim's support team to fix it, still exists.  Undecided

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Tanker Chief wrote on Sep 8th, 2015 at 9:45am:
Well after a long time spent searching I only just now found the 29.99 base pack upgrade hidden in a link nowhere near the normal product page. I most certainly clicked on the 39.99 base pack, I even went back and looked at my click history to make sure. But for some reason when I clicked on the base pack, it added the base pack upgrade to my cart.

So now that I know what the problem is... the other problem of getting a hold of Captain Sim's support team to fix it, still exists.  Undecided

Give them time, they will sort it out for you. Hopefully soon. Wink

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Tanya
CS Team

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 6:35am
Print Post  
We still have not got a submitted ticket from you, unfortunately.

IP Logged

Tanker Chief

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I decided to just take the hard (on my wallet) way out and purchase the 777-200 base pack anyway instead of submitting a ticket or anything so that way I'll just have the 777-200 base pack, 777-200 upgrade and the 777-300 expansion.

I downloaded the base pack and it installed successfully, the aircraft are in my sim just fine. HOWEVER, the 777-200 upgrade is still giving me the same error message.

So now what? Sad

IP Logged

Tanya
CS Team

Reply #18 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Had you followed our advice you would see that the Upgrade is not needed. It is already included into the base pack. The Upgrade description http://www.captainsim.com/store/x777_discount.html clearly says "we are pleased to offer the €10 discount to our most loyal customers who have purchased the 777 Exterior model before the base pack release (04 JUN 2012)". тв you have not purchased the Exterior Model as we know. So actually I do not see our fault that you do not read the product description.

IP Logged

Tanker Chief

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Tanya wrote on Sep 11th, 2015 at 9:35pm:
Had you followed our advice you would see that the Upgrade is not needed. It is already included into the base pack. The Upgrade description [...] clearly says "we are pleased to offer the €10 discount to our most loyal customers who have purchased the 777 Exterior model before the base pack release (04 JUN 2012)". тв you have not purchased the Exterior Model as we know. So actually I do not see our fault that you do not read the product description.

I'm sorry but nowhere in that quote does it say "the base pack upgrade is now` included in the base pack."

I have purchased the exterior model, I still have the receipt and a bank statement saying so.

According to the first Paypal receipt I spent 29.99 EUR for the Base Pack Upgrade and 9.99 EUR on the Expansion models which is a total of 39.98 EUR or 46.15 USD which appears on my bank statement as having been charged.

My second paypal receipt says I bought the base pack for 39.99 EUR or 46.25 USD which also shows on my bank account as having been charged.

So you have my money from all three packs for a total of 79.97. So please don't lie to me and tell me I never bought it.  Angry

So are you telling me I should submit a ticket for a refund of the base pack upgrade which was 29.99 EUR?

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 4:12am
Print Post  
The way I see it, you have two choices.

1. Keep the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade, and ask for a refund on the 777-200 Base Pack.
Or
2. Keep the 777-200 Base Pack, and ask for a refund on the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade.

The difference in you choice, is this. IF you keep the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade, every time you do a complete uninstall/reinstall (like if you buy a new computer), you will need t install the 777-200 Exterior Model, then the 777-200 Base Pack Upgrade. IF you keep the 777-200 Base Pack, then you will only need to install the 777-200 Base Pack.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Thomas V

Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Why is it that when I try try to install any one of the new product installers that have the choice of selecting FSX or FSX-SE and then hit "next" that I get locked computer. The mouse locks up. This does not happen with the other products. I can go right away to the Activation Screen. The 3 that I am talking about are 1. L10-11  2. CS777  3. CS727   And this does not have anything to do with my Firewall or my Antivirus, because I disabled them. 
Any one have any ideas?

IP Logged

Markoz
Beta Team

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I don't know why it locks your computer when you do that, but try this:

Right click on the installers > Select properties > Unblock (it's down the bottom if it's there).

Also. Right click on the installers > Select "Run as administrator"

See if that allows it to work without locking up Windows.

Mark Fletcher

IP Logged

Thomas V

Reply #23 - Mar 13th, 2017 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Ok I did what u said. But, that is not the answer. Now, I was able to install the CS777 base pack with the older 1400 version that I had saved on an external drive. BUt, I noticed that this old installer version does not ask if I want to install in FSX or FSX-Steam as the new 1800 update installer does and thus locks my computer. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top