Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Installing Civa With Michael 2 mod (Read 3033 times)
BrianG

Installing Civa With Michael 2 mod
Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I'm trying to install the Civa with the Micheal 2 mod already installed. There seems to be a conflict of information for these two modifications in [Window 03] in the panel cfg.
To get the TAT and MAC values displayed under the A/P panel ( shift+4),
Window 3 look like this:

[Window03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=427,130
position=2
visible=0
ident=10005
gauge00=Captain_Sim.p721.P12!P12_001_ap, 0,0, 427,106
gauge01=TAT!TAT, 140, 106, 220,22

But, the conflict starts when trying to incorporate the code in [Window 03] for the Civa. It wants to look like this :

[Window03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=427,130
position=2
visible=0
ident=10005

gauge00=Captain_Sim.p721.P12!P12_001_ap,      0, 0, 427, 106
gauge01=../civa/INS!Config,                              0, 0, 0, 0, Rp727
gauge02=../civa/INS!NavModeSingle,                  427, 0, 25, 35
gauge03=../civa/INS!MsuPanelIcon,                  427, 35, 20, 20, 40
gauge04=../civa/INS!CduPanelIcon,                  427, 55, 20, 20, 41

So as you can see the conflict arises with gauge01 for Civa and TAT code. I can either get the TAT and MAC readings under the the AP popup, OR the Civa icons, but not both at the same time. Has any one found a solution for using both of the modifications simultaneously. Seems like it can be done. I'm just not sure how.
Thanks-

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: Installing Civa With Michael 2 mod
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
The Civa buttons are on the right side of the AP popup while the TAT gauge can be at the bottom. So you only have to combine both things.

[Window03]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=455,130
position=2
visible=0
ident=10005

gauge01=../civa/INS!Config,                              0, 0, 0, 0, Rp727
gauge03=../civa/INS!MsuPanelIcon,                  427, 35, 20, 20, 40
gauge04=../civa/INS!CduPanelIcon,                  427, 55, 20, 20, 41
gauge05=TAT!TAT, 140, 106, 220,22

IP Logged

BrianG

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks Cool P,
Your solution works perfect. I tried a variation of that by making the TAT gauge01 and labeled the civa gauges 02,03,04,05. Of course it didn't work. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it.
Big task I would imagine but that's the fun of all of this.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
brian

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Glad it works.  Smiley
Quote:
I tried a variation of that by making the TAT gauge01 and labeled the civa gauges 02,03,04,05. Of course it didn't work.

I'm puzzled, the numbers don't affect much. I've just used 05 because it was free. I could have used any free number or a different order. Did you change some more maybe? Either way, there's no advantage of using the TAT gauge as 00 over 05.

IP Logged

BrianG

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Cool P,
I thought that's all I changed. Perhaps there was more? I don't know. I did change the size_mm but that shouldn't have an effect on the appearance or disappearance of switches I wouldn't imagine.
I did manage to get the CIVA working and it followed Way Points as it should. I did have some problems so I just wanted to clarify the configuration of the Sperry AP when interfacing it with the CIVA.

1) CIVA aligned-switch to nav.
2) airborne- both AP paddles on ( I switched to system A- don't know if that's necessary)
3) AP in MANUAL MODE
4) Heading select engaged
5) CIVA switch on AP pop-up turned on
Is that all correct ? My understanding in that the CIVA controls the heading bug.

I haven't played around with it enough to really understand it thoroughly but I just want to get through the basics for now.

Also, on the AP pop up I have only one engage switch. Should there be two, one for each Civa unit?
And what is the advantage of having two units? Should they be working  together with each other to deliver an advantage?

Thanks lot for your help on this.

Cheers,
Brian

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
I did change the size_mm but that shouldn't have an effect on the appearance or disappearance of switches I wouldn't imagine.

In that case, it actually does. You have to size it the right way to allow all elements to appear. For example.
427 in width, 106 in height.

25 width, 35 height, but starting at the 427 mark. So the overall width now is 427+25=452. If you set the size_mm width to be smaller, the INS buttons disappear. Same logics on the height values if you add gauges like the TAT below the actual AP gauge.

The size_mm can be higher, but shouldn't be smaller than the combined size values of all gauges.

Your setup steps look correct, but I was wondering what 5) CIVA switch on AP pop-up turned on is. Well, the outcome of a working INS steering should be that the hdb bug moves by itself. So to speak. You can set the INS to show the desired track, lets say 73° degrees to your next waypoint. The hdb bug movement then should make sure (and will, if connected), that you are aiming at that track.

With two Civa units, the sim advantage is small. That's because the sim doesn't fail a unit and it also doesn't achieve a higher accuracy with two. A rw setup would do this though. So it comes down to just having two displays and being closer to a rw setup where the redundancy matters.

The two displays are neat because you can have one showing your groundspeed and things while the other one gives you a distance and time to the next waypoint. For planning or checking, that's nice. You can only connect one unit at a time to the AP though. They keep themselves in check when running the so called triple mix mode. But, as said, in the sim this doesn't matter much.

IP Logged

BrianG

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks CoolP,
Yes, now it makes sense why I wasn't seeing all the switches. Not the labeling but rather the size was the culprit.  
I installed all the rest of the CIVA items from a thread you had posted sometime ago. Had to play around with it a bit to get both nav mode switches on AP. One of my gauges was reading" single" rather than "double". But got them both up and sized just right. Thanks for your instruction on that.

Funny, somehow the DME fix that you initiated ( I use it- works get) got reverted back to its original values. I was never close to that window in making these Civa changes. I did change it back and once more I have Nav 1 and Nav2 DME readings.

The CIVA's lots of fun. Not as complex as the FMC. In the real world the INS reminds me a bit of the Loran C unit I had on my first sailboat years ago.
Thanks for all your work and sharing all this with us. It definitely enhances the 727 experience.

Cheers,
Brian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top